Re: Art and the Challenge of Change

  • texasbg2000
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31, 2003
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, freyjartist@a...
      wrote:
      > Hi Bobby,
      >
      > <snip>
      >
      > you wrote:
      >
      > <<Life is about life. Art is a word designated to use
      > as an elevated expression above the ordinary. Better.>>
      >
      > One interpretation out of many.
      > I think 'art' is a word for "engaging in with full attention".

      Granted. How about 'art is being loved'.

      Love
      Bobby G.

      > HOW TO BE AN ARTIST     by SARK
      >
      > Stay loose. learn to watch snails.
      > plant impossible gardens.   invite someone
      > dangerous to tea.    make little signs that
      > say Yes! and post them all over your house.
      > make friends with freedom and uncertainty.
      > look forward to dreams.    cry during movies.
      > swing as high as you can on a swingset,
      > by moonlight.      cultivate moods.    refuse to "be responsible".
      > do it for love.     take lots of naps.    give money away.
      > do it now.    the money will follow.   believe in magic.
      > laugh a lot.     celebrate every gorgeous moment.
      > take moonbaths.   have wild imaginings, transformative dreams
      > and perfect calm.   draw on the walls.    read every day.
      > imagine yourself magic.     giggle with children.
      > listen to old people.    open up.    dive in.    befree.
      > bless yourself.   drive away fear.    play with everything.
      > entertain your inner child.    you are innocent.
      > build a fort with blankets.   get wet.   hug trees.
      > write love letters.
      >
      > love
      >
      > Freyja
    • texasbg2000
      Message 2 of 7 , May 31, 2003
        <murrkis@y...> wrote:
        > > bobby wrote:
        > > <<I think the real question can be
        > > stated as a pro and con. The
        > > proposition:
        > >
        > > Structure limits Creativity.
        > >
        > > I say no, and take the con position.
        > > Take the dancer who learns the
        > > parameters of bodily motion. An
        > > immense structure of empirical
        > > knowledge. Then when the beat
        > > takes the body and the inner melody
        > > reacts, the soul is released to
        > > perform with additional elements not
        > > able to be accessed by the person who
        > > just gets up and becomes abandoned to
        > > the music. The satisfaction and
        > > expression is much greater.>>
        > >

        > > I think i see what you are saying, Bobby.
        > >
        > > Anyway, i will share my perspective.
        > >
        > > I was a student of calligraphy for many years,
        > > and the theme that was returned to
        > > again and again was:
        > >
        > > It takes first being disciplined and learning
        > > the rules of the art, and then you can
        > > have the freedom to bend them with abandon.
        > > First comes discipline, then comes freedom.
        > >
        > > Dance therapy and music therapy exists, but
        > > this Stewart Cubley specializes in art therapy.
        > > So, i really don't understand what you were
        > > saying in your original response to the article
        > > when you mentioned those other things.
        > >
        > > Lucia Cappacchione and Aviva Gold (not as a team)
        > > are others who use un-techniqued art methods to
        > > facilitate the bypassing of the rational thought
        > > process in getting in touch with what lies
        > > in the well....the light and the shadow.
        >
        > This is a pretty good point that is coming out:
        > what is the purpose of this creativity?
        >
        > Freyja, by way of Cubley, seems to be lofting up the
        > possibility of using untechniqued art (or other
        > forms of expression) to explore one's inner world.
        >
        > Bobby, seems to be pointing out that art in another
        > sense is a refinement of this exploration. Is he also
        > suggesting that this exploration can go deeper if
        > the art is refined?

        I don't think so but someone may take it that way easily enough. I
        don't paint to explore myself. When I look at a picture that is done
        I generally learn something about myself though. Everyone has a job
        and mine is to make pictures and teach others how to do it the way I
        do.

        If ART were so small that one person's taste could encompass it then
        it wouldn't be very human.

        Love
        Bobby G.