Re: Art and the Challenge of Change

  • freyjartist@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31, 2003
      Hi Bobby,

      <snip>

      you wrote:

      <<Life is about life. Art is a word designated to use
      as an elevated expression above the ordinary. Better.>>

      One interpretation out of many.
      I think 'art' is a word for "engaging in with full attention".

      The art of sweeping a floor is a way of saying it is being done
      more effectively than ordinary.>>

      HOW TO BE AN ARTIST     by SARK

      Stay loose. learn to watch snails.
      plant impossible gardens.   invite someone
      dangerous to tea.    make little signs that
      say Yes! and post them all over your house.
      make friends with freedom and uncertainty.
      look forward to dreams.    cry during movies.
      swing as high as you can on a swingset,
      by moonlight.      cultivate moods.    refuse to "be responsible".
      do it for love.     take lots of naps.    give money away.
      do it now.    the money will follow.   believe in magic.
      laugh a lot.     celebrate every gorgeous moment.
      take moonbaths.   have wild imaginings, transformative dreams
      and perfect calm.   draw on the walls.    read every day.
      imagine yourself magic.     giggle with children.
      listen to old people.    open up.    dive in.    befree.
      bless yourself.   drive away fear.    play with everything.
      entertain your inner child.    you are innocent.
      build a fort with blankets.   get wet.   hug trees.
      write love letters.

      love

      Freyja

    • texasbg2000
      Message 2 of 7 , May 31, 2003
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, freyjartist@a...
        wrote:
        > Hi Bobby,
        >
        > <snip>
        >
        > you wrote:
        >
        > <<Life is about life. Art is a word designated to use
        > as an elevated expression above the ordinary. Better.>>
        >
        > One interpretation out of many.
        > I think 'art' is a word for "engaging in with full attention".

        Granted. How about 'art is being loved'.

        Love
        Bobby G.

        > HOW TO BE AN ARTIST     by SARK
        >
        > Stay loose. learn to watch snails.
        > plant impossible gardens.   invite someone
        > dangerous to tea.    make little signs that
        > say Yes! and post them all over your house.
        > make friends with freedom and uncertainty.
        > look forward to dreams.    cry during movies.
        > swing as high as you can on a swingset,
        > by moonlight.      cultivate moods.    refuse to "be responsible".
        > do it for love.     take lots of naps.    give money away.
        > do it now.    the money will follow.   believe in magic.
        > laugh a lot.     celebrate every gorgeous moment.
        > take moonbaths.   have wild imaginings, transformative dreams
        > and perfect calm.   draw on the walls.    read every day.
        > imagine yourself magic.     giggle with children.
        > listen to old people.    open up.    dive in.    befree.
        > bless yourself.   drive away fear.    play with everything.
        > entertain your inner child.    you are innocent.
        > build a fort with blankets.   get wet.   hug trees.
        > write love letters.
        >
        > love
        >
        > Freyja
      • texasbg2000
        Message 3 of 7 , May 31, 2003
          <murrkis@y...> wrote:
          > > bobby wrote:
          > > <<I think the real question can be
          > > stated as a pro and con. The
          > > proposition:
          > >
          > > Structure limits Creativity.
          > >
          > > I say no, and take the con position.
          > > Take the dancer who learns the
          > > parameters of bodily motion. An
          > > immense structure of empirical
          > > knowledge. Then when the beat
          > > takes the body and the inner melody
          > > reacts, the soul is released to
          > > perform with additional elements not
          > > able to be accessed by the person who
          > > just gets up and becomes abandoned to
          > > the music. The satisfaction and
          > > expression is much greater.>>
          > >

          > > I think i see what you are saying, Bobby.
          > >
          > > Anyway, i will share my perspective.
          > >
          > > I was a student of calligraphy for many years,
          > > and the theme that was returned to
          > > again and again was:
          > >
          > > It takes first being disciplined and learning
          > > the rules of the art, and then you can
          > > have the freedom to bend them with abandon.
          > > First comes discipline, then comes freedom.
          > >
          > > Dance therapy and music therapy exists, but
          > > this Stewart Cubley specializes in art therapy.
          > > So, i really don't understand what you were
          > > saying in your original response to the article
          > > when you mentioned those other things.
          > >
          > > Lucia Cappacchione and Aviva Gold (not as a team)
          > > are others who use un-techniqued art methods to
          > > facilitate the bypassing of the rational thought
          > > process in getting in touch with what lies
          > > in the well....the light and the shadow.
          >
          > This is a pretty good point that is coming out:
          > what is the purpose of this creativity?
          >
          > Freyja, by way of Cubley, seems to be lofting up the
          > possibility of using untechniqued art (or other
          > forms of expression) to explore one's inner world.
          >
          > Bobby, seems to be pointing out that art in another
          > sense is a refinement of this exploration. Is he also
          > suggesting that this exploration can go deeper if
          > the art is refined?

          I don't think so but someone may take it that way easily enough. I
          don't paint to explore myself. When I look at a picture that is done
          I generally learn something about myself though. Everyone has a job
          and mine is to make pictures and teach others how to do it the way I
          do.

          If ART were so small that one person's taste could encompass it then
          it wouldn't be very human.

          Love
          Bobby G.