purpose of art Re: Art and the Challenge of Change

  • Nina
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31, 2003
      > bobby wrote:
      > <<I think the real question can be
      > stated as a pro and con. The
      > proposition:
      >
      > Structure limits Creativity.
      >
      > I say no, and take the con position.
      > Take the dancer who learns the
      > parameters of bodily motion. An
      > immense structure of empirical
      > knowledge. Then when the beat
      > takes the body and the inner melody
      > reacts, the soul is released to
      > perform with additional elements not
      > able to be accessed by the person who
      > just gets up and becomes abandoned to
      > the music. The satisfaction and
      > expression is much greater.>>
      >

      > I think i see what you are saying, Bobby.
      >
      > Anyway, i will share my perspective.
      >
      > I was a student of calligraphy for many years,
      > and the theme that was returned to
      > again and again was:
      >
      > It takes first being disciplined and learning
      > the rules of the art, and then you can
      > have the freedom to bend them with abandon.
      > First comes discipline, then comes freedom.
      >
      > Dance therapy and music therapy exists, but
      > this Stewart Cubley specializes in art therapy.
      > So, i really don't understand what you were
      > saying in your original response to the article
      > when you mentioned those other things.
      >
      > Lucia Cappacchione and Aviva Gold (not as a team)
      > are others who use un-techniqued art methods to
      > facilitate the bypassing of the rational thought
      > process in getting in touch with what lies
      > in the well....the light and the shadow.

      This is a pretty good point that is coming out:
      what is the purpose of this creativity?

      Freyja, by way of Cubley, seems to be lofting up the
      possibility of using untechniqued art (or other
      forms of expression) to explore one's inner world.

      Bobby, seems to be pointing out that art in another
      sense is a refinement of this exploration. Is he also
      suggesting that this exploration can go deeper if
      the art is refined?

      Could it be that the two play into each other in
      much the same way the inner and outer worlds play
      into each other?

      Stay tuned...

      > I do think their methods are a good starting
      > point for people who would like to create art,
      > but who think they have no talent, etc., because
      > of comparisons they themselves make, or what
      > they have been told by parents and teachers.
      > I feel that there are strong parallels between
      > creating tangible art from a place of freedom,
      > and creating as the art of life.
      >
      > Learning the techniques can naturally come after the
      > initial barriers have come down.
      >
      > Perhaps the biggest lesson to learn is that
      > art isnt about painting pictures, being a ballet star,
      > or being a opera diva,
      >
      > Art is life itself and being all that you are.

      Art happens. :)

      I suspect that the cave painters were involved in a form
      of active imagination that eventually led to the refinement
      of their art. Better art meant better hunts? Who knows! It's
      all lost in the mists of time...

      Nina
    • freyjartist
      Message 2 of 7 , May 31, 2003
        <murrkis@y...> wrote:
        > > bobby wrote:
        > > <<I think the real question can be
        > > stated as a pro and con. The
        > > proposition:
        > >
        > > Structure limits Creativity.
        > >
        > > I say no, and take the con position.
        > > Take the dancer who learns the
        > > parameters of bodily motion. An
        > > immense structure of empirical
        > > knowledge. Then when the beat
        > > takes the body and the inner melody
        > > reacts, the soul is released to
        > > perform with additional elements not
        > > able to be accessed by the person who
        > > just gets up and becomes abandoned to
        > > the music. The satisfaction and
        > > expression is much greater.>>
        > >

        > > I think i see what you are saying, Bobby.
        > >
        > > Anyway, i will share my perspective.
        > >
        > > I was a student of calligraphy for many years,
        > > and the theme that was returned to
        > > again and again was:
        > >
        > > It takes first being disciplined and learning
        > > the rules of the art, and then you can
        > > have the freedom to bend them with abandon.
        > > First comes discipline, then comes freedom.
        > >
        > > Dance therapy and music therapy exists, but
        > > this Stewart Cubley specializes in art therapy.
        > > So, i really don't understand what you were
        > > saying in your original response to the article
        > > when you mentioned those other things.
        > >
        > > Lucia Cappacchione and Aviva Gold (not as a team)
        > > are others who use un-techniqued art methods to
        > > facilitate the bypassing of the rational thought
        > > process in getting in touch with what lies
        > > in the well....the light and the shadow.
        >
        > This is a pretty good point that is coming out:
        > what is the purpose of this creativity?
        >
        > Freyja, by way of Cubley, seems to be lofting up the
        > possibility of using untechniqued art (or other
        > forms of expression) to explore one's inner world.

        Yes, Nina, i also think i am talking about
        it because it has always been my nature to create
        things with my hands, bringing my right smack dab
        in the middle of the flow of life. Plus it is my dream
        to also offer workshops like this. Just because.
        Because i am moved to, that's all.

        There is a volunteer cancer healing center
        nearby, where a woman in my book club, an
        art teacher, who just recently died from
        lymphoma, was facilitating classes in this
        realm. I think her daughter may still be
        carrying it forward....and i feel that i
        will be meeting her very soon.

        > Bobby, seems to be pointing out that art in another
        > sense is a refinement of this exploration. Is he also
        > suggesting that this exploration can go deeper if
        > the art is refined?
        >
        > Could it be that the two play into each other in
        > much the same way the inner and outer worlds play
        > into each other?
        >
        > Stay tuned...
        >
        > > I do think their methods are a good starting
        > > point for people who would like to create art,
        > > but who think they have no talent, etc., because
        > > of comparisons they themselves make, or what
        > > they have been told by parents and teachers.
        > > I feel that there are strong parallels between
        > > creating tangible art from a place of freedom,
        > > and creating as the art of life.
        > >
        > > Learning the techniques can naturally come after the
        > > initial barriers have come down.
        > >
        > > Perhaps the biggest lesson to learn is that
        > > art isnt about painting pictures, being a ballet star,
        > > or being a opera diva,
        > >
        > > Art is life itself and being all that you are.
        >
        > Art happens. :)

        Yes :)

        > I suspect that the cave painters were involved in a form
        > of active imagination that eventually led to the refinement
        > of their art. Better art meant better hunts? Who knows! It's
        > all lost in the mists of time...
        >
        > Nina

        And it isn't over til the fat lady sings...
        assuming that there is an ending
        and that a fat lady is going to sing...

        LOL

        Freyja
      • texasbg2000
        Message 3 of 7 , May 31, 2003
          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, freyjartist@a...
          wrote:
          > Hi Bobby G, Nina
          >
          > bobby wrote:
          > <<I think the real question can be stated as a pro and con. The
          > proposition:
          >
          > Structure limits Creativity.
          >
          > I say no, and take the con position. Take the dancer who learns the
          > parameters of bodily motion. An immense structure of empirical
          > knowledge. Then when the beat takes the body and the inner melody
          > reacts, the soul is released to perform with additional elements
          not
          > able to be accessed by the person who just gets up and becomes
          > abandoned to the music. The satisfaction and expression is much
          > greater.>>
          >

          > I think i see what you are saying, Bobby.
          >
          > Anyway, i will share my perspective.
          >
          > I was a student of calligraphy for many years,
          > and
          > the theme that was returned to
          > again and again was:
          >
          > It takes first being disciplined and learning
          > the rules of the art, and then you can
          > have the freedom to bend them with abandon.
          > First comes discipline, then comes freedom.
          >
          > Dance therapy and
          > music therapy exists, but
          > this Stewart Cubley specializes in art therapy.
          > So, i really don't understand what you were
          > saying in your original response to the article
          > when you mentioned those other things.

          Hi Freyja:

          A lot can be said for delving into oneself through
          creativity in expression with painting or any other medium.
          I just don't think it is done more effectively without structure.

          I mention the other art forms because it is clear that
          expression in those forms is better through the use of
          structure as a beginning.

          I am drawing a division between art training and art therapy.

          > Lucia Cappacchione and Aviva Gold (not as a team)
          > are others who use un-techniqued art methods to
          > facilitate the bypassing of the
          > rational thought process in getting in touch with
          > what lies in the well....the light and the shadow.
          >
          > I do think their methods are a good starting
          > point for people who would like to create art,
          > but who think they have no talent, etc., because
          > of comparisons they themselves make, or what
          > they have been told by parents and teachers.
          > I feel that there are strong parallels between
          > creating tangible art from a place of freedom,
          > and creating as the art of life.
          >
          > Learning the techniques can naturally come after the
          > initial barriers have come down.
          >
          > Perhaps the biggest lesson to learn is that
          > art isnt about painting pictures, being a ballet star,
          > or being a opera diva,
          >
          > Art is life itself and being all that you are.

          Life is about life. Art is a word designated to use
          as an elevated expression above the ordinary. Better.

          The art of sweeping a floor is a way of saying it is being done
          more effectively than ordinary.

        • freyjartist@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , May 31, 2003
            Hi Bobby,

            <snip>

            you wrote:

            <<Life is about life. Art is a word designated to use
            as an elevated expression above the ordinary. Better.>>

            One interpretation out of many.
            I think 'art' is a word for "engaging in with full attention".

            The art of sweeping a floor is a way of saying it is being done
            more effectively than ordinary.>>

            HOW TO BE AN ARTIST     by SARK

            Stay loose. learn to watch snails.
            plant impossible gardens.   invite someone
            dangerous to tea.    make little signs that
            say Yes! and post them all over your house.
            make friends with freedom and uncertainty.
            look forward to dreams.    cry during movies.
            swing as high as you can on a swingset,
            by moonlight.      cultivate moods.    refuse to "be responsible".
            do it for love.     take lots of naps.    give money away.
            do it now.    the money will follow.   believe in magic.
            laugh a lot.     celebrate every gorgeous moment.
            take moonbaths.   have wild imaginings, transformative dreams
            and perfect calm.   draw on the walls.    read every day.
            imagine yourself magic.     giggle with children.
            listen to old people.    open up.    dive in.    befree.
            bless yourself.   drive away fear.    play with everything.
            entertain your inner child.    you are innocent.
            build a fort with blankets.   get wet.   hug trees.
            write love letters.

            love

            Freyja

          • texasbg2000
            Message 5 of 7 , May 31, 2003
              wrote:
              > Hi Bobby,
              >
              > <snip>
              >
              > you wrote:
              >
              > <<Life is about life. Art is a word designated to use
              > as an elevated expression above the ordinary. Better.>>
              >
              > One interpretation out of many.
              > I think 'art' is a word for "engaging in with full attention".

              Granted. How about 'art is being loved'.

              Love
              Bobby G.

              > HOW TO BE AN ARTIST     by SARK
              >
              > Stay loose. learn to watch snails.
              > plant impossible gardens.   invite someone
              > dangerous to tea.    make little signs that
              > say Yes! and post them all over your house.
              > make friends with freedom and uncertainty.
              > look forward to dreams.    cry during movies.
              > swing as high as you can on a swingset,
              > by moonlight.      cultivate moods.    refuse to "be responsible".
              > do it for love.     take lots of naps.    give money away.
              > do it now.    the money will follow.   believe in magic.
              > laugh a lot.     celebrate every gorgeous moment.
              > take moonbaths.   have wild imaginings, transformative dreams
              > and perfect calm.   draw on the walls.    read every day.
              > imagine yourself magic.     giggle with children.
              > listen to old people.    open up.    dive in.    befree.
              > bless yourself.   drive away fear.    play with everything.
              > entertain your inner child.    you are innocent.
              > build a fort with blankets.   get wet.   hug trees.
              > write love letters.
              >
              > love
              >
              > Freyja
            • texasbg2000
              Message 6 of 7 , May 31, 2003
                <murrkis@y...> wrote:
                > > bobby wrote:
                > > <<I think the real question can be
                > > stated as a pro and con. The
                > > proposition:
                > >
                > > Structure limits Creativity.
                > >
                > > I say no, and take the con position.
                > > Take the dancer who learns the
                > > parameters of bodily motion. An
                > > immense structure of empirical
                > > knowledge. Then when the beat
                > > takes the body and the inner melody
                > > reacts, the soul is released to
                > > perform with additional elements not
                > > able to be accessed by the person who
                > > just gets up and becomes abandoned to
                > > the music. The satisfaction and
                > > expression is much greater.>>
                > >

                > > I think i see what you are saying, Bobby.
                > >
                > > Anyway, i will share my perspective.
                > >
                > > I was a student of calligraphy for many years,
                > > and the theme that was returned to
                > > again and again was:
                > >
                > > It takes first being disciplined and learning
                > > the rules of the art, and then you can
                > > have the freedom to bend them with abandon.
                > > First comes discipline, then comes freedom.
                > >
                > > Dance therapy and music therapy exists, but
                > > this Stewart Cubley specializes in art therapy.
                > > So, i really don't understand what you were
                > > saying in your original response to the article
                > > when you mentioned those other things.
                > >
                > > Lucia Cappacchione and Aviva Gold (not as a team)
                > > are others who use un-techniqued art methods to
                > > facilitate the bypassing of the rational thought
                > > process in getting in touch with what lies
                > > in the well....the light and the shadow.
                >
                > This is a pretty good point that is coming out:
                > what is the purpose of this creativity?
                >
                > Freyja, by way of Cubley, seems to be lofting up the
                > possibility of using untechniqued art (or other
                > forms of expression) to explore one's inner world.
                >
                > Bobby, seems to be pointing out that art in another
                > sense is a refinement of this exploration. Is he also
                > suggesting that this exploration can go deeper if
                > the art is refined?

                I don't think so but someone may take it that way easily enough. I
                don't paint to explore myself. When I look at a picture that is done
                I generally learn something about myself though. Everyone has a job
                and mine is to make pictures and teach others how to do it the way I
                do.

                If ART were so small that one person's taste could encompass it then
                it wouldn't be very human.

                Love
                Bobby G.