Transcendental meditation

  • Dave Orleans
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 8, 2002
      A friend has recommended TM to me. I have done my own research and contacted a place that will teach me in my state for $2500.

      This seems very high. Are there any ex-TM'ers here that say otherwise? I don't expect current TM people to say that it's not worth it but it seems very expensive for something that "comes naturally". TIA,Dave

    • silauto
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 8, 2002
        Hi Dave,
        You can learn it for' free' from me, if you are really interested,
        but then if someone is that interested should the amount discourage
        him?What do you think?

        silauto --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., Dave Orleans

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 8, 2002
          Dave Orleans <davidhorleans@y...> wrote:
          > A friend has recommended TM to me. I have done my own research and
          contacted a place that will teach me in my state for $2500.
          This seems very high. Are there any ex-TM'ers here that say
          otherwise? I don't expect current TM people to say that it's not
          worth it but it seems very expensive for something that "comes
          naturally". TIA,Dave

          Dear Dave, Here's a reply to the same question that we posted a short
          while ago:
          TM
          There's a discussion going on now on the alt.medit
          ation.transcendental
          newsgroup about whether or not TM's mantras can be learned from a
          book, and avoid the big bucks they charge. A URL was posted that
          gives them for free, as well as discussing their origin and alot of
          other things that the TM organization may not be thrilled about being
          made public. The URL is at:
          http://www.trancenet.org/secrets/mantras.shtml
          I also saw a post that mentioned they now are offering a course
          selling Enlightenment for $1,000,000. I'm sharing this info because I
          get asked about TM very often ( 2 times today!), and thought you
          might do well to check this out before running out with your
          million(or even the $2600 I have been told it now costs for the basic
          technique). I know that many of my students and many of our members
          have tried TM and none have stayed with it, but as far as I am
          concerned, the $$$ should not be a consideration if you do receive
          everlasting peace via this technique. Also, maybe the reason that I
          don't know anyone personally who is still "doing TM", is because they
          wouldn't have sought out other methodologies if they were happy with
          TM, and thus wouldn't have contacted me or the Society. I often check
          into the alt.meditation.transcedental news group, and as you will see
          if you follow it for a while, there are alot of differing opinions
          about it (probably many more negative ones than positive). So, it
          surely isn't the "perfect for everyone" system that some of their
          adherents claim. I do feel that mantra is a very good method and is
          probably the most used technique in the world, but I don't think that
          any word they sell you will beat the power of OM, which is pretty
          well explained on Meditation Station,
          http://www.meditationsociety.com
          in the archive section (meditation #44). This will also be the
          featured article in the upcoming issue of our newsletter, The Inner
          Traveler. OM is priceless, and thus doesn't have any $ attached to
          sharing it. I also don't feel that their selling levitation
          (hopping?) techniques for thousands of dollars has any value at all
          spiritually, but may be valuable to some for reasons I can't
          appreciate. I hope sharing this helps those wondering about TM in
          some way.
        • tjperez
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 9, 2002
            TM is the "GOOD Stuff." That's generally what I'm interested in. I
            wouldn't mind learning but I invested my money in telecom stocks...I
            guess I won't be going for awhile!

            <davidhorleans@y...> wrote:

            > A friend has recommended TM to me. I have done my own research
            and contacted a place that will teach me in my state for $2500.

            > This seems very high. Are there any ex-TM'ers here that say
            otherwise? I don't expect current TM people to say that it's not
            worth it but it seems very expensive for something that "comes
            naturally". TIA,Dave

          • gangak000
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 9, 2002
              --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "tjperez" <tjperez@y...>
              wrote:
              > TM is the "GOOD Stuff." That's generally what I'm interested in.
              I wouldn't mind learning but I invested my money in telecom
              stocks...I guess I won't be going for awhile!

              G: there are many genuine teachers that give more than what
              TM does and for nothing........

              shanti shanti shanti Maha Shanti om ...g...