Maximum Headroom

  • Jeff Belyea
    Message 1 of 5 , May 29 4:48 AM
      No matter how much an unenlightened
      person attempts to come up with the
      perfect "unanswerable question" to
      place before an enlightened person,
      all their badgering will fail.

      Not because the guru or the enlightened
      person is necessarily more clever or
      intelligent, but because no matter how
      many words are exchanged, an unenlightened
      person cannot understand enlightenment,
      and their concepts of it are mere shadows.

      The con game is not the guru game. The
      con game is the shallow mis-interpretation
      of Advaita, presented by the host of
      "popcorn farts" who show up to smugly
      find the flaw and spout their transparent
      "wisdom" that there is no such thing as
      enlightenment, or that we are all already
      enlightened and there is nothing to do.

      Enjoying life,
      Enjoying enlightenment
      Unshakable, unmistakable,

      Jeff
    • Nina
      Message 2 of 5 , May 29 6:48 AM
        <jeff@s...> wrote:
        > No matter how much an unenlightened
        > person attempts to come up with the
        > perfect "unanswerable question" to
        > place before an enlightened person,
        > all their badgering will fail.
        >
        > Not because the guru or the enlightened
        > person is necessarily more clever or
        > intelligent, but because no matter how
        > many words are exchanged, an unenlightened
        > person cannot understand enlightenment,
        > and their concepts of it are mere shadows.
        >
        > The con game is not the guru game. The
        > con game is the shallow mis-interpretation
        > of Advaita, presented by the host of
        > "popcorn farts" who show up to smugly
        > find the flaw and spout their transparent
        > "wisdom" that there is no such thing as
        > enlightenment, or that we are all already
        > enlightened and there is nothing to do.
        >
        > Enjoying life,
        > Enjoying enlightenment
        > Unshakable, unmistakable,
        >
        > Jeff

        Hi, Jeff,

        Your 'unshakability' segued me into something completely different...

        The Great Smokies Diagnostic Lab is currently collecting panels for a
        female hormone study. (Any woman interested check out www.gsdl.com -
        this is particularly great for healthy young women around age 25 who
        would like to get a baseline hormone panel for comparison during
        menopause.)

        Perhaps we ought to talk GSDL into doing a hormone survey of
        enlightened folks. If they find a pattern, they could produce the
        hormone therapy for folks who wish to be unshakable.

        Ah, speaking of unshakable, I know a woman who used to check her car
        oil every time she got a period. Well, one day she noticed her car
        was not running smoothly at all. Then it dawned on her - she hadn't
        had a period in a while (she was through menopause) and so hadn't
        checked her oil. At any rate, she says she's feeling quite unshakable
        these days - one of the blessings of not having monthly hormonal
        surges.

        shaken, not stirred,
        Nina

        P.S. Intellect is not affected by hormones. LOL.
        P.P.S. I have the perfect unanswerable question, I'm just having a
        hard time finding words for it. tee hee
        P.P.P.S. You would like the This American Life show called "Pray".
        The reporter travels to Colorado Springs where Christians have begun
        praying for their city. She is told that there is no way that the
        outside world (ie non-Christians) will possibly understand what is
        going on in Colorado Springs, for very much the same reasons you gave
        for an unenlightened person not being able to understand an
        enlightened person's viewpoint. The reporter, under great sneaky
        psychiatric leverage, eventually came to wonder whether she should
        convert to Christianity. Go to www.thislife.org and look for "Our
        Favorites" in the archives. Then, look for the program called "Pray".
        P.P.P.P.S. My popcorn farts smell like roses.
        P.P.P.P.P.S. Jeff, you worry too much.
        P.P.P.P.P.P.S. So, the Christians in Colorado Springs were obsessed
        with good and evil. They were fighting the good fight, for God, for
        everyone's souls. They were canvasing the neighborhoods with prayer
        walks. There were some Christians who had heightened senses of evil
        in urban space. They would drop into prayer when they came across
        traces of evil spirits. Right there, on the streets. Goodness!
        P.P.P.P.P.P.P.S. I can dig this, after having spent many months
        documenting psychological turbulance in Vienna. What it boils down
        to, though, is that the psychological turbulence doesn't exist
        without the one who is documenting it. I wonder, could the same be
        said of enlightenment? Oh! Another rose-scented popcorn fart?!
        P.P.P.P.P.P.P.P.P.S. Transparent wisdom. I like that one... it made
        me laugh. Tee hee! I'll be sure to use that one on my husband
        sometime. "Hey, honey, your opinion is only transparent wisdom."
        That's a little like telling a non-Christian they are deluded and
        can't possibly understand... keeping the other going so you have
        something to fight for. Oh! The room smells so sweet!
      • Greg Goode
        Message 3 of 5 , May 29 8:49 AM
          I like that! --Greg

          At 01:48 PM 5/29/2003 +0000, Nina wrote:

          >shaken, not stirred,
          >Nina
        • Jeff Belyea
          Message 4 of 5 , May 29 9:49 AM
            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Greg Goode <
            goode@d...> wrote:
            > I like that! --Greg
            >
            > At 01:48 PM 5/29/2003 +0000, Nina wrote:
            >

            > >shaken, not stirred,
            > >Nina

            Nina -

            Greg's list on Guru Ratings (the site
            not the group) includes a test to
            tell if a guru is genuinely enlightened.
            My favorite is #32: The guru's ablity
            to completely digest and absorb food
            leaves only a faint smell of patchouli.
            So, with rose, you must be very close
            to full-enlightenment, grassphopper.

            How sweet it is,

            Jeff
          • satkartar7
            Message 5 of 5 , May 29 5:17 PM
              > > No matter how much an unenlightened
              > > person attempts to come up with the
              > > perfect "unanswerable question" to
              > > place before an enlightened person,
              > > all their badgering will fail.
              > >
              > > Not because the guru or the enlightened
              > > person is necessarily more clever or
              > > intelligent, but because no matter how
              > > many words are exchanged, an unenlightened
              > > person cannot understand enlightenment,
              > > and their concepts of it are mere shadows.
              > >
              > > The con game is not the guru game. The
              > > con game is the shallow mis-interpretation
              > > of Advaita, presented by the host of
              > > "popcorn farts" who show up to smugly
              > > find the flaw and spout their transparent
              > > "wisdom" that there is no such thing as
              > > enlightenment, or that we are all already
              > > enlightened and there is nothing to do.
              > >
              > > Enjoying life,
              > > Enjoying enlightenment
              > > Unshakable, unmistakable,
              > >
              > > Jeff
              >
              > Hi, Jeff,
              >
              > Your 'unshakability' segued me into something completely different...
              >
              > The Great Smokies Diagnostic Lab is currently collecting panels for a
              > female hormone study. (Any woman interested check out www.gsdl.com -
              > this is particularly great for healthy young women around age 25 who
              > would like to get a baseline hormone panel for comparison during
              > menopause.)
              >
              > Perhaps we ought to talk GSDL into doing a hormone survey of
              > enlightened folks. If they find a pattern, they could produce the
              > hormone therapy for folks who wish to be unshakable.

              what a great idea Nina

              love, Karta