Re: [Meditation Society of America] Digest Number 610

  • Armando Capo
    Message 1 of 6 , May 28 6:34 AM

      >Bob (medit8ionsociety) wrote:
      >Subject: Soham, the Best Meditation Technique?
      >
      >[From] Swami Sivananda:
      >
      >"Sit on Padmasana or Siddhasana in your meditation room. Watch the >flow of breath. You will hear the sound "SOHAM", So during inhalation >and ham during exhalation. SOHAM means I AM HE. The breath is >reminding you of your identity with the Supreme Soul. You are >unconsciously repeating Soham 21,600 times daily at the rate of 15 >Sohams per minute. Associate the ideas of Existence, Knowledge, >Bliss, Absolute, Purity, Peace, Perfection, Love, etc., along with >Soham. Negate the body while repeating the Mantra and identify ourself >with the Atman or the Supreme Soul."

      As I read the words above I am saddened (though quite temporarily) from the thought of everyone that has read these words and follows the advice above to "Negate the body".

      If the physical universe was ever meant to be negated, The One would have never manifested it to begin with.

      Negating the body is like telling a kid to never play because he is not really here!

      Like Ken Wilber's concept of "holons", evolution is about accepting, loving, embracing and moving beyond. The body is to be accepted, loved and embraced. Then, and only then, can the individual move beyond it.

      Trying to negate the body while attempting to live our everyday lives is an exercise in futility.

      We are the third "leg" of the Triad; the resulting "Son" (or Daughter, if you like) from the Father aspect of The One (the spiritual planner) and the Mother aspect (the womb of creation and giver of life). We are physical! And of course, we are also spiritual.

      So we must learn to accept our physicality without being absorbed by it. Only then can we focus our energies with full intention on returning home (even though the "coming home" is nothing more than another illusion in itself)

      Praise, Gratitude and Love to all,

      Armando Capo

      www.armandocapo.com

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Jason Fishman
      Message 2 of 6 , May 28 7:00 AM
        --- Armando Capo <armandocapo@...> wrote:

        > >Bob (medit8ionsociety) wrote:
        > >Subject: Soham, the Best Meditation Technique?
        > >
        > >[From] Swami Sivananda:
        > >
        > >"Sit on Padmasana or Siddhasana in your meditation
        > room. Watch the >flow of breath. You will hear the
        > sound "SOHAM", So during inhalation >and ham during
        > exhalation. SOHAM means I AM HE. The breath is
        > >reminding you of your identity with the Supreme
        > Soul. You are >unconsciously repeating Soham 21,600
        > times daily at the rate of 15 >Sohams per minute.
        > Associate the ideas of Existence, Knowledge, >Bliss,
        > Absolute, Purity, Peace, Perfection, Love, etc.,
        > along with >Soham. Negate the body while repeating
        > the Mantra and identify ourself >with the Atman or
        > the Supreme Soul."

        Jason: Wonderful post Armando. Some words to touch on
        your expression, for me.

        > As I read the words above I am saddened (though
        > quite temporarily) from the thought of everyone that
        > has read these words and follows the advice above to
        > "Negate the body".
        >
        > If the physical universe was ever meant to be
        > negated, The One would have never manifested it to
        > begin with.
        >
        > Negating the body is like telling a kid to never
        > play because he is not really here!

        Jason: In this, which can be said to be an illusion,
        for one to say don't do, since doing is unreal, it
        would be completely impossible to not do. If this is
        an impossibility, this not doing, then uncovering what
        not doing truly is, can be said as negation of
        physical doing. It may be intrinsic for doers to
        discover this not doing. Telling anyone to not do,
        since you don't truly exist would be like explaining
        what is contained in a void.

        > Like Ken Wilber's concept of "holons", evolution is
        > about accepting, loving, embracing and moving
        > beyond. The body is to be accepted, loved and
        > embraced. Then, and only then, can the individual
        > move beyond it.

        Jason: I'd love to hear about what is beyond, beyond
        being. The key is in the triad you explain below.

        > Trying to negate the body while attempting to live
        > our everyday lives is an exercise in futility.
        >
        > We are the third "leg" of the Triad; the resulting
        > "Son" (or Daughter, if you like) from the Father
        > aspect of The One (the spiritual planner) and the
        > Mother aspect (the womb of creation and giver of
        > life). We are physical! And of course, we are also
        > spiritual.

        Jason: I often look deeply into this triad with the
        perspective of positive, negative and lack of either.
        It's this lack of that has us stuck. What's there, in
        nothing?

        > So we must learn to accept our physicality without
        > being absorbed by it. Only then can we focus our
        > energies with full intention on returning home (even
        > though the "coming home" is nothing more than
        > another illusion in itself)

        Jason: I think that acceptance, is acceptance of all
        love, hate... physical, mental... etc. Beyond this
        should be more of the same, this acceptance is home,
        where nothing is negated or embraced. Unfortuantly we
        enjoy our negation and embracing as we attempt to
        become something beyond, the beyond that never left
        the here, now.

        Peace, Love and Gratitude to you

        > Praise, Gratitude and Love to all,
        >
        > Armando Capo
        >
        > www.armandocapo.com

        http://calendar.yahoo.com
      • Jeff Belyea
        Message 3 of 6 , May 28 7:02 AM
          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Armando Capo
          <armandocapo@y...> wrote:

          > >Bob (medit8ionsociety) wrote:
          > >Subject: Soham, the Best Meditation Technique?
          > >
          > >[From] Swami Sivananda:
          > >
          > >"Sit on Padmasana or Siddhasana in your meditation room. Watch the
          >flow of breath. You will hear the sound "SOHAM", So during inhalation
          >and ham during exhalation. SOHAM means I AM HE. The breath is
          >reminding you of your identity with the Supreme Soul. You are
          >unconsciously repeating Soham 21,600 times daily at the rate of 15
          >Sohams per minute. Associate the ideas of Existence, Knowledge,
          >Bliss, Absolute, Purity, Peace, Perfection, Love, etc., along with
          >Soham. Negate the body while repeating the Mantra and identify
          ourself >with the Atman or the Supreme Soul."

          > As I read the words above I am saddened (though quite temporarily)
          from the thought of everyone that has read these words and follows the
          advice above to "Negate the body".

          > If the physical universe was ever meant to be negated, The One would
          have never manifested it to begin with.

          > Negating the body is like telling a kid to never play because he is
          not really here!

          > Like Ken Wilber's concept of "holons", evolution is about accepting,
          loving, embracing and moving beyond. The body is to be accepted, loved
          and embraced. Then, and only then, can the individual move beyond it.

          > Trying to negate the body while attempting to live our everyday
          lives is an exercise in futility.

          > We are the third "leg" of the Triad; the resulting "Son" (or
          Daughter, if you like) from the Father aspect of The One (the
          spiritual planner) and the Mother aspect (the womb of creation and
          giver of life). We are physical! And of course, we are also spiritual.

          > So we must learn to accept our physicality without being absorbed by
          it. Only then can we focus our energies with full intention on
          returning home (even though the "coming home" is nothing more than
          another illusion in itself)

          > Praise, Gratitude and Love to all,
          >
          > Armando Capo
          >
          > www.armandocapo.com

          Hello, Armando -

          I enjoyed a brief look
          at your website. I'll
          time. Looks wonderful.

          My take on this was that
          "negating the body" was
          only meant as a temporary
          devise to fully bring
          attention to consciousness
          while repeating the mantra,
          to achieve God-realization
          that the Soham meditation
          affords. A return to waking
          and enlightened consciousness
          (as I am confident you agree)
          enhances rather than negates
          our delight with this body,
          our sensory apparatus and
          the field of joy these allow
          us to play in while in this
          mortal frame.

          Loving the body,

          Jeff
        • satkartar7
          Message 4 of 6 , May 28 8:00 AM
            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Armando Capo <armandocapo@y...> wrote:

            > >Bob (medit8ionsociety) wrote:
            > >Subject: Soham, the Best Meditation Technique?
            > >
            > >[From] Swami Sivananda:
            > >
            > >"Sit on Padmasana or Siddhasana in your meditation room. Watch the >flow of breath. You will hear the sound "SOHAM", So during inhalation >and ham during exhalation. SOHAM means I AM HE. The breath is >reminding you of your identity with the Supreme Soul. You are >unconsciously repeating Soham 21,600 times daily at the rate of 15 >Sohams per minute. Associate the ideas of Existence, Knowledge, >Bliss, Absolute, Purity, Peace, Perfection, Love, etc., along with >Soham. Negate the body while repeating the Mantra and identify ourself >with the Atman or the Supreme Soul."
            >

            > As I read the words above I am saddened (though quite temporarily) from the thought of everyone that has read these words and follows the advice above to "Negate the body".
            >
            > If the physical universe was ever meant to be negated, The One would have never manifested it to begin with.
            >
            > Negating the body is like telling a kid to never play because he is not really here!
            >
            > Like Ken Wilber's concept of "holons", evolution is about accepting, loving, embracing and moving beyond. The body is to be accepted, loved and embraced. Then, and only then, can the individual move beyond it.
            >
            > Trying to negate the body while attempting to live our everyday lives is an exercise in futility.
            >
            > We are the third "leg" of the Triad; the resulting "Son" (or Daughter, if you like) from the Father aspect of The One (the spiritual planner) and the Mother aspect (the womb of creation and giver of life). We are physical! And of course, we are also spiritual.
            >
            > So we must learn to accept our physicality without being absorbed by it. Only then can we focus our energies with full intention on returning home (even though the "coming home" is nothing more than another illusion in itself)
            >
            > Praise, Gratitude and Love to all,
            >
            > Armando Capo
            >
            > http://www.armandocapo.com

            hi Armando

            I could not click on any of the
            sub-pages I am on a interactive toy
            wetv :-(

            Is the jiiva chakra mentioned the
            Amrita nadi?

            "from Arthur Avalon, Sir John Woodruffe
            from 'The Serpent Power'

            Jnana (knowledge) bypasses the lower
            chakras. Sahaj Marg people use the
            higher heart center and completely
            bypass the lower kundalini chakras
            also.

            Advanced yoga does not touch kundalini
            and does not therefore require
            chastity. Ramana's Amrit nadi heart-
            cave this is from a Yogananda sudetn
            Advanced yoga brings the energy down.

            Kundalini takes the lower energies
            up. Yogananda's kundalini yoga uses
            the exact initiation as sant mat. You
            cannot bring enegy down by
            concentating at Tirsa Til. You must
            use the higher heart chakra.

            If Yogananda's group uses the exact
            sant mat initiation as kundalini
            yoga..

            This shabda initiation has been
            known as kundalini for hundreds of
            years."

            I collected stuff on it: at my 'link'
            page you might want to use.

            <http://santmat-meditation.net/iam>

            love, Karta
            Message 5 of 6 , May 28 8:59 AM
              <armandocapo@y...> wrote:

              > >Bob (medit8ionsociety) wrote:
              > >Subject: Soham, the Best Meditation Technique?
              > >
              > >[From] Swami Sivananda:
              > >
              > >"Sit on Padmasana or Siddhasana in your meditation room. Watch the
              >flow of breath. You will hear the sound "SOHAM", So during inhalation
              >and ham during exhalation. SOHAM means I AM HE. The breath is
              >reminding you of your identity with the Supreme Soul. You are
              >unconsciously repeating Soham 21,600 times daily at the rate of 15
              >Sohams per minute. Associate the ideas of Existence, Knowledge,
              >Bliss, Absolute, Purity, Peace, Perfection, Love, etc., along with
              >Soham. Negate the body while repeating the Mantra and identify
              ourself >with the Atman or the Supreme Soul."

              > As I read the words above I am saddened (though quite temporarily)
              from the thought of everyone that has read these words and follows the
              advice above to "Negate the body".

              > If the physical universe was ever meant to be negated, The One would
              have never manifested it to begin with.

              Dear Armando,
              First of all, there is no need to be "saddened (though quite
              temporarily)":-) There is a time and place for everything, and
              while meditating, reactivity to the body is not appropriate.
              It's one of the ways our mind distracts us from focusing on the
              object of out meditation. I'm sure that Swami Sivananda meant
              "Negate the body", as you put it, "quite temporarily". Similarly,
              meditation IS the time to negate the physical universe. This is
              not to imply that you can't investigate it during meditation also.
              But our habit is to keep manifesting new versions of the universe,
              and this keeps us from "The One" you refer to. So, I think that
              perhaps you read a bit too much, or too little, in the words "Negate
              the body", and sort of missed the forrest of wisdom for the tree
              of the mind's distraction. Please know that I respect you and thank
              you for sharing, and I just see this from a different perspective,
              and acknowledge that it may be totally incorrect.
            • G
              Message 6 of 6 , May 28 10:18 AM
                Capo <armandocapo@y...> wrote:

                > >Bob (medit8ionsociety) wrote:
                > >Subject: Soham, the Best Meditation Technique?
                > >
                > >[From] Swami Sivananda:
                > >
                > >"Sit on Padmasana or Siddhasana in your meditation room.
                Watch the >flow of breath. You will hear the sound "SOHAM", So
                during inhalation >and ham during exhalation. SOHAM means I
                AM HE. The breath is >reminding you of your identity with the
                Supreme Soul. You are >unconsciously repeating Soham
                21,600 times daily at the rate of 15 >Sohams per minute.
                Associate the ideas of Existence, Knowledge, >Bliss, Absolute,
                Purity, Peace, Perfection, Love, etc., along with >Soham. Negate
                the body while repeating the Mantra and identify ourself >with the
                Atman or the Supreme Soul."

                > As I read the words above I am saddened (though quite
                temporarily) from the thought of everyone that has read these
                words and follows the advice above to "Negate the body".

                > If the physical universe was ever meant to be negated, The
                One would have never manifested it to begin with.

                > Negating the body is like telling a kid to never play because he
                is not really here!

                > Like Ken Wilber's concept of "holons", evolution is about
                accepting, loving, embracing and moving beyond. The body is to
                be accepted, loved and embraced. Then, and only then, can the
                individual move beyond it.

                > Trying to negate the body while attempting to live our everyday
                lives is an exercise in futility.

                > We are the third "leg" of the Triad; the resulting "Son" (or
                Daughter, if you like) from the Father aspect of The One (the
                spiritual planner) and the Mother aspect (the womb of creation
                and giver of life). We are physical! And of course, we are also
                spiritual.

                > So we must learn to accept our physicality without being
                absorbed by it. Only then can we focus our energies with full
                intention on returning home (even though the "coming home" is
                nothing more than another illusion in itself)

                > Praise, Gratitude and Love to all,
                >
                > Armando Capo
                >
                > www.armandocapo.com

                G: there are two paths one is absolute acceptance and
                expansion and the other negation and contraction until only the
                Whole exists......

                both dynamics may take you to the same end ...

                Discovery of the One which manifests as the many .......

                then it may be embraced fully without being a moth being singed
                by the flames ......

                physical form is a part of the transient journey but being hung up
                on it may lead to attachment - further desires and further pain
                concerning it ...... so there are two roads both valid in their own
                way.....

                i see respecting the form as the vehicle of sensation but it is not
                the be all and end all ....... it will break down and wear out one
                day as all vehicles do ...... what is important is what remains ......
                that indefinable spirit which powers the physical form for a time,
                then goes on it's way to enter a new adventure...... a new form
                comes and another adventure will begin a new scenario will take
                place - a new personage will develop and life goes on ........

                every day a part of the never ending journey of Now......

                form/subtle form/ formless ....... These triune aspects are
                One.... Knowing them unties the knots and turns the flame from
                hot and burning to the light of understanding and the flame of
                recognition of Being...... the shadows fall away as unimportant
                .... Love then remains for what IS and as - IS in motion......

                shanti om