Soham, the Best Meditation Technique?

    Message 1 of 7 , May 27 10:41 PM
      One of the most common questions we are asked, by email and in our
      classes, is "What is the best meditation technique?" One candidate for
      this title is very well known in the East, but virtually unknown in
      the West. And yet, it is available 24 x 7 to everyone North, South,
      East, and West. Here is one of the many references (and "how to") to
      it that the great Swami Sivananda made:

      "Sit on Padmasana or Siddhasana in your meditation room. Watch the
      flow of breath. You will hear the sound "SOHAM", So during
      inhalation and ham during exhalation. SOHAM means I AM HE. The breath
      is reminding you of your identity with the Supreme Soul. You are
      unconsciously repeating Soham 21,600 times daily at the rate of 15
      Sohams per minute. Associate the ideas of Existence, Knowledge, Bliss,
      Absolute, Purity, Peace, Perfection, Love, etc., along with Soham.
      Negate the body while repeating the Mantra and identify yourself with
      the Atman or the Supreme Soul."

      Below you will find more about Soham from our site, Meditation
      Station. We welcome your suggestions (hopefully with a "how to") as to
      what you think is "the best' technique. In any event, I hope this will
      be of some benefit to you.

      Soham

      The Bible tells us that in the beginning there was the Word, and the
      Word was with God, and the Word was God. But in the beginning, there
      were no words, no languages, or even sounds of humans or animals. So
      what was the Word that was in the beginning. This has been a great
      mystery, but like the solution to many mysteries, the answer has been
      right under our nose all along. And that is Soham.

      Soham is referred to as the "Mahamantra", the Greatest Mantra, and is
      considered along with Om to be the most powerful of all techniques.
      This was the first meditation technique, both in antiquity and in our
      own lives. The ancient cavemen, before they had invented language or
      fire, would sit in their dark caves and have nothing else to focus on
      but the sound of their breath. Similarly, the first sound we heard
      when we were in our mothers' womb was the sound of her breath, and
      this sound has been with us ever since we drew our first breath. It
      negates the need to rely on any of the words of the languages of the
      world to use as a mantra. It has brought people to transcendence of
      worldly limitations from time immemorial and continues to do so. It
      can be done even while driving, working, and doing other acts of daily
      life and thereby offers a continuous experience of being in the
      present. This is a great present, because Reality takes place now, in
      the present. Soham is a wonder-full meditation technique and I hope
      will bring you the experience of Knowledge, Consciousness, and Bliss
      that is your birthright.

      In the Bible, when God was asked what his name is, He answered " I Am
      That I Am'. In Sanskrit, the most ancient of languages, the sound of
      the inhalation is termed So, and the exhalation is Ham. Combined, the
      word Soham is translated as "I Am He/That". So, whenever you are doing
      this technique, you are calling on God. Every breath thus becomes a
      prayer and adoration.

      The Soham Meditation Technique

      At the time and in the place where you feel most comfortable, place
      your body in the position that you have found to be the most
      beneficial for meditation. Close your eyes. Close your ears by putting
      your thumbs in them, or by using earplugs. This will intensify the
      sound of your breath while diminishing the distractions that sight and
      sound bring. Command your mind to be silent, your emotions to be calm,
      and your body to stay relaxed. Focus on the sound of your breath
      coming in. Associate it with the word So. As your breath leaves,
      listen to the sound and associate it with the word Ham. To pronounce
      So and Ham correctly, listen to how they sound. As with most pranayama
      (breathing techniques), Soham is done either in 3 cycles of 12 or 12
      cycles of 12. One inhalation and one exhalation are one respiration.
      12 respirations are one cycle. For those just starting to use this
      technique, it is usual to silently say the word So with each
      inhalation and the word Ham with each exhale. When you are focused
      consistently, consciously, you will flow into simply listening to the
      sound of Soham. Soham is by far the easiest meditation. It comes to
      all living creatures without any effort. And yet it is the deepest
      possible technique, as it presents the opportunity to meditate on the
      great mystery of life and the life-giver itself.

      No matter how we have acted and reacted, with each breath we are
      forgiven for our so-called sins and rewarded with another breath,
      another heartbeat, and another moment of life to cherish. No act of
      will on our part can give us breath. Literally, we are graced with
      this gift of life from a power greater than ourselves. A corpse has
      every bone, every organ, and every bodily system that we have, and yet
      it doesn't have life or healing energy filling every cell with every
      breath, as we have. As you merge more and more with Soham, you
      surrender your reactivity to your thoughts, emotions, and sensory
      impressions. These are all just heavy earth-bound suffering-causing
      limitations. The divine energy of Soham is limitless heavenly love and
      light. Witness, surrender all effort, and fill with this most precious
      gift of Grace.
    • G
      Message 2 of 7 , May 28 1:52 AM
        medit8ionsociety <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > One of the most common questions we are asked, by email
        and in our
        > classes, is "What is the best meditation technique?" One
        candidate for
        > this title is very well known in the East, but virtually unknown in
        > the West. And yet, it is available 24 x 7 to everyone North,
        South,
        > East, and West. Here is one of the many references (and "how
        to") to
        > it that the great Swami Sivananda made:
        >
        > "Sit on Padmasana or Siddhasana in your meditation room.
        Watch the
        > flow of breath. You will hear the sound "SOHAM", So during
        > inhalation and ham during exhalation. SOHAM means I AM HE.
        The breath
        > is reminding you of your identity with the Supreme Soul. You
        are
        > unconsciously repeating Soham 21,600 times daily at the rate
        of 15
        > Sohams per minute. Associate the ideas of Existence,
        Knowledge, Bliss,
        > Absolute, Purity, Peace, Perfection, Love, etc., along with
        Soham.
        > Negate the body while repeating the Mantra and identify
        yourself with
        > the Atman or the Supreme Soul."
        >
        > Below you will find more about Soham from our site, Meditation
        > Station. We welcome your suggestions (hopefully with a "how
        to") as to
        > what you think is "the best' technique. In any event, I hope this
        will
        > be of some benefit to you.
        > Peace and blessings,
        > Bob

        G: one of my favorite has always been simply OM ....... it can
        take one from the world of sound into a place where all sounds
        then become OM ..... this allows one to enter meditation even in
        a noisy enviornment........

        shanti om
      • Jeff Belyea
        Message 3 of 7 , May 28 2:46 AM
          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety <
          no_reply@y...> wrote:

          > Soham
          >
          > The Bible tells us that in the beginning there was the Word, and the
          > Word was with God, and the Word was God. But in the beginning, there
          > were no words, no languages, or even sounds of humans or animals. So
          > what was the Word that was in the beginning. This has been a great
          > mystery, but like the solution to many mysteries, the answer has been
          > right under our nose all along. And that is Soham.

          Thanks, Bob. Soham gets my vote
          as one of the best. I prefer the
          silence of Breath Awareness, simply
          noticing the inhale and exhale without
          any words. But Soham is useful to
          quiet other intruding thoughts
          before entering the silence of
          meditation.

          The word "Word" in this biblical
          reference came from a word that
          is also tranlated as "logo" -
          a symbol or identity. As in
          contemporary business, the use
          of a mark or design that becomes
          associated with a business without
          the use of any words. (The Nike
          Symbol...)

          So, if we read this, "In the
          beginning was the identity of God,
          the reality of God, then it makes
          more sense than to think of this
          "word" as written or spoken
          language. Words are really
          inadequate at times, aren't they?

          A word from,

          Jeff
        • satkartar7
          Message 4 of 7 , May 28 7:18 AM
            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Belyea" <jeff@s...> wrote:
            > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety <
            > no_reply@y...> wrote:
            >

            > > Soham
            > >
            > > The Bible tells us that in the beginning there was the Word, and the
            > > Word was with God, and the Word was God. But in the beginning, there
            > > were no words, no languages, or even sounds of humans or animals. So
            > > what was the Word that was in the beginning. This has been a great
            > > mystery, but like the solution to many mysteries, the answer has been
            > > right under our nose all along. And that is Soham.
            > >

            > Thanks, Bob. Soham gets my vote
            > as one of the best. I prefer the
            > silence of Breath Awareness, simply
            > noticing the inhale and exhale without
            > any words. But Soham is useful to
            > quiet other intruding thoughts
            > before entering the silence of
            > meditation.
            >
            > The word "Word" in this biblical
            > reference came from a word that
            > is also tranlated as "logo" -
            > a symbol or identity.

            this has been debated over and over
            and the "Word" as sound makes
            complete sense, since I can hear the
            sound

            > As in
            > contemporary business, the use
            > of a mark or design that becomes
            > associated with a business without
            > the use of any words. (The Nike
            > Symbol...)
            >
            > So, if we read this, "In the
            > beginning was the identity of God,

            thE Om, the sound and more: it is
            a magical "cleaning" vibration a
            powerful upward flow pulling; I felt
            like levitating by its force

            it IS GOD

            [the Big-bang]

            "In the beginning there was the Word
            and Word *WAS* with God and the Word
            was God"

            > the reality of God, then it makes
            > more sense than to think of this
            > "word" as written or spoken
            > language. Words are really
            > inadequate at times, aren't they?

            love, Karta

            > A word from,
            >
            > Jeff
          • satkartar7
            Message 5 of 7 , May 28 7:22 AM
> [...]
              > great mystery of life and the life-giver itself.
              >
              > No matter how we have acted and reacted, with each breath we are
              > forgiven for our so-called sins and rewarded with another breath,
              > another heartbeat, and another moment of life to cherish. No act of
              > will on our part can give us breath. Literally, we are graced with
              > this gift of life from a power greater than ourselves. A corpse has
              > every bone, every organ, and every bodily system that we have, and yet
              > it doesn't have life or healing energy filling every cell with every
              > breath, as we have. As you merge more and more with Soham, you
              > surrender your reactivity to your thoughts, emotions, and sensory
              > impressions. These are all just heavy earth-bound suffering-causing
              > limitations. The divine energy of Soham is limitless heavenly love and
              > light. Witness, surrender all effort, and fill with this most precious

              Soham is within the matras given in
              light & sound meditation

              I could write about it volumes, if
              I could write. It is where the death
              -jump happens in meditation it is
              indigo in color it is the void you
              always talk about; it is just before
              seeing the Light

              love, Karta
            • cornelius
              Message 6 of 7 , May 30 7:12 AM
                <mi_nok@y...> wrote:

                <snip>

                > No matter how we have acted and reacted, with each breath we are
                > > forgiven for our so-called sins and rewarded with another breath,
                > > another heartbeat, and another moment of life to cherish. No act
                of
                > > will on our part can give us breath. Literally, we are graced with
                > > this gift of life from a power greater than ourselves. A corpse
                has
                > > every bone, every organ, and every bodily system that we have,
                and yet
                > > it doesn't have life or healing energy filling every cell with
                every
                > > breath, as we have. As you merge more and more with Soham, you
                > > surrender your reactivity to your thoughts, emotions, and sensory
                > > impressions. These are all just heavy earth-bound suffering-
                causing
                > > limitations. The divine energy of Soham is limitless heavenly
                love and
                > > light. Witness, surrender all effort, and fill with this most
                precious
                > > gift of Grace.
                >
                > Soham is within the matras given in
                > light & sound meditation
                >
                > I could write about it volumes, if
                > I could write. It is where the death
                > -jump happens in meditation it is
                > indigo in color it is the void you
                > always talk about; it is just before
                > seeing the Light
                >
                > love, Karta

                Hi Karta,

                If "I could write"....that's funny..what a Cop-out (anyone interested
                in more info on this Practice can go to your Webpages).

                Back at SRD, I was impressed by Mike Martin's post of the details on
                the various levels of "sound and light" meditation. One issue was
                whether he was posting his own personal experience of "sound and
                light" or he was copying the material of levels out of the Sikh texts.

                The Soham post was a good reminder of the profound relationship
                with 'breath'; it's obvious but one forgets, right?

                cya
              • satkartar7
                Message 7 of 7 , May 30 8:28 PM
                  > > No matter how we have acted and reacted, with each breath we are
                  > > > forgiven for our so-called sins and rewarded with another breath,
                  > > > another heartbeat, and another moment of life to cherish. No act
                  > of
                  > > > will on our part can give us breath. Literally, we are graced with
                  > > > this gift of life from a power greater than ourselves. A corpse
                  > has
                  > > > every bone, every organ, and every bodily system that we have,
                  > and yet
                  > > > it doesn't have life or healing energy filling every cell with
                  > every
                  > > > breath, as we have. As you merge more and more with Soham, you
                  > > > surrender your reactivity to your thoughts, emotions, and sensory
                  > > > impressions. These are all just heavy earth-bound suffering-
                  > causing
                  > > > limitations. The divine energy of Soham is limitless heavenly
                  > love and
                  > > > light. Witness, surrender all effort, and fill with this most
                  > precious
                  > > > gift of Grace.
                  > >
                  > > Soham is within the mantras given in
                  > > light & sound meditation
                  > >
                  > > I could write about it volumes, if
                  > > I could write. It is where the death
                  > > -jump happens in meditation it is
                  > > indigo in color it is the void you
                  > > always talk about; it is just before
                  > > seeing the Light
                  > >
                  > > love, Karta
                  >
                  > Hi Karta,
                  >
                  > If "I could write"....that's funny..what a Cop-out (anyone interested
                  > in more info on this Practice can go to your Webpages).
                  >
                  > Back at SRD, I was impressed by Mike Martin's post of the details on
                  > the various levels of "sound and light" meditation.

                  hi Cornelius,

                  my point is that there is point in
                  deep meditation where to the "mind"
                  doesn't and can NOT follow, that is
                  why doubted MM recollections. I
                  think that those "inner-vistas" were
                  set up by his line os Saints
                  as I belive, that Buddhist mystics
                  'set up' the Bardo: they are both
                  mirages, held by mystics of a various lineages

                  I always rejected when in meditation
                  I was presented with a detailed
                  [can be put in words] inner-vistas [astral-travels] they have value
                  only if one is able to understand the language of the subconscious, or dreams

                  The "cleaning" is faster in the
                  abstract and cleaning IS the value
                  of meditation

                  The fact is that all those experiences