sattvic

  • Lamer_1964
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 6, 2002
      Can someone please give me the meaning of this word? I did a search
      but it doesn't really answer my question.
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 6, 2002
        "Lamer_1964" wrote:
        > Can someone please give me the meaning of this word? I did a search
        > but it doesn't really answer my question.
        Hi - If you search right here on this groups search engine for
        sattva, you will find a few posts that deal with sattvic actions.
        Here is the next meditation technique that will be the featured
        technique on our web site, Meditation Station
        http://www.meditationsociety.com
        It has a slightly different ending than the version previously posted
        on this group. It not only gives you an idea about the concept of
        sattva, but points to how to apply it to your life. And as (the now
        fallen)Saint Martha might say, if she knew the concept, "It's a
        sattvic thing".

        Ahisma, The Basic Basis For Meditation

        No matter what technique you are doing while sitting in "formal"
        meditation, or are applying to the rest of your life (perhaps like
        mindfulness, or breath awareness, or mantra, or whatever), the first
        step in the traditional path of Raja Yoga, the Yoga of Meditation, is
        recommended to be Ahisma. Ahisma is usually defined as non-violence.
        But this goes far deeper than the usual implied characteristics of
        non-violence, like not fighting physically, or taking another's life.
        It deals with not causing any harm whatsoever to anyone or anything
        in any way. This means no actions that cause verbal or emotional
        pain, anguish, suffering, or even slight discomfort to any living
        thing is what is called for. Since the failure to help ease pain is
        pain causing, inaction can also be against this common to all
        religions direction. So, we are pointed to not causing suffering and
        to eliminate it when we see it. This puts us in a very win-win
        situation karma-wise. The things that distract us from our meditation
        the most are the would-of, should-of thoughts that fill our mind with
        guilt and anger. Actually living our life in an Ahisma way never
        feeds the fire of inner gut-feeling pain that knowing we have done
        wrong causes and eliminates the mental poison called "Regret" that
        drowns us in a tidal wave of suffering.

        The Ahisma Meditation Technique

        A way to live your life seems more than just a technique, but
        meditation can be considered a time of attention and awareness, and
        that is certainly advantageous at all times, not just for 20 minutes
        in the morning and 20 minutes at night. Ahisma is based on a few
        basic meditation principles:

        1. We have an inner Witness that has been present since birth and is
        here now, as you are reading these words. The Witness is the
        awareness that can see if you have any tension in your body, what
        your emotions are feeling, and what your mind is thinking.
        2. There are only 3 types of actions (called Gunas in Sanskrit):
        Tamas (actions that are ignorant, habitual, dark, characterized by
        inertia, and generally negative), Rajas (also ignorant and negative,
        but usually are selfishness-desire based, and active actions), and
        Sattva (pure, righteous, light, holy selfless actions).
        3. By Witnessing what is inappropriate (Tamas and Rajas actions), we
        can eliminate those actions that cause suffering and flow infinitely
        better with life.
        It works this way…

        Before every action, there are words. Before words, there are
        thoughts. Before thoughts, the Witness IS. At one with the Witness,
        the meditator is aware of the actions, words, and thoughts. If they
        are of an unrighteous or other negative label nature, both of passive
        and active characteristic (Tamas/Rajas), which is known by a "gut
        feeling", intuitively, the meditator changes them spontaneously,
        effortlessly, into righteous events (Sattva). This is Self-control.
        How to do this? By witnessing your life as it takes place. Your
        breath is always present while there is life. By placing your
        attention on your breath, you are here, now, present, and can Witness
        your life as it takes place. Several times during the day, remind
        your self to Witness your breath. Do this in as many ways as you can.
        When you first get up, give yourself a mental direction to stop every
        hour on the hour and refocus on your breath, and on your silent inner
        Witness. If you see yourself doing anything that is contrary to
        Ahisma, redirect your actions to Sattvic ones. So, if you see
        yourself mentally cursing out your boss, for instance, change that
        into a prayer for the well being of all who live. This is just an
        example. You can also remind yourself by leaving post-it notes to
        yourself around your house or job site that just say "Witness" or
        "Breathe" on them. While you're at work, call yourself on your home
        phone and leave a message on your answering machine that will serve
        as a reminder when you get home from work and check your messages. Be
        creative, devise a game plan. Find ways that you can remind yourself
        more and more often to be aware of your breathe, Witnessing, and the
        principle of Ahisma. Eventually, you will Witness your life as it
        takes place, and the replacing of negative actions with righteous
        ones will become an automatic part of your life, and you will never
        again have to even ponder what Ahisma is about. You will be living it.
        Then, a state of transcendence of all Gunas (Tamasic, Rajasic, and
        Sattvic actions) occurs. The meditator then abides in life without
        reference or reaction to the illusion of singular identification, and
        the unity with the ever present, infinite underlying essence of all
        creation, and all activity is realized. This event of all events can
        only be known experientially, not emotionally, physically, or
        intellectually. It is a gift of Grace only, and not as a result of
        meditation, or by going through your pain, or by bliss-full visions,
        and so on. Meditation clears the pathway of all that obstructs the
        vision of the Witness.

        So…breathe, Witness, and when you witness Tamas or Rajas in your
        actions, or the actions going on around you, change them into Sattva
        by acting or refraining from action…whatever is appropriate. But,
        be sure to apply the kindness that is one and the same in Ahisma to
        yourself, as well as to others. Be gentle when you see something
        negative in your actions, words, or thoughts. Just say "Oh well" to
        yourself and go on with the process of changing negativity to loving
        positivity. And this will be true Ahisma, and that will be when you
        start living happily ever after.
      • silauto
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 7, 2002
          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "Lamer_1964"
          <lamer_1964@y...> wrote:
          > Can someone please give me the meaning of this word? I did a search
          > but it doesn't really answer my question.

          As per ancient Indian texts in Sanskrit each individual is made of
          three 'Gunas' or properties viz:Sattvic, Rajasic, and Tamasic

          Tamasic Guna is laziness or neglect which causes pain, e.g.laziness
          in earning food causes hunger pangs.

          Rajasic Guna is overindulgance, which again causes pain.

          Sattvic Guna is not doing that which caused us pain, i.e., neither
          starvation nor overeating. Sattvic Guna is the property that should
          be aimed as it makes us progress.

          Any questions? Hope I am clear.

          silauto