Re: Christian meditation - All

  • tjperez
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 6, 2002
      Many people meditate for purposes of their religion--others do so
      just to relax or whatever. In religious meditation, one uses a
      religious icon or prayer. In Catholic religions, people would "say"
      the Rosary by holding each bead and saying the prayer that's
      associated with that bead.

      Generally, I do meditation just for relaxation and to control
      anxiety; but I have tried a few different religious chants
      like "Hare Krsna"

      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > Dear Silauto, Tony, and all,
      > Perhaps we can ask the question another way. What do religious
      > (Christian) and non- religious meditations have in common. The
      word
      > religion has as its root "Realization". And that's what meditators
      > are seeking...Realization of who they are, who God is, what is the
      > meaning of life, and so on. Many religious figures have meditated
      > (think of both Jesus in the desert and Buddha under the Bodhi
      > (Enlightenment) tree, both for 40 days), and come to Realization.
      > They then had no more ???, just!!! The conclusions they came to
      were
      > usually summed up in the instruction to look within
      (meditate)."The
      > kingdom of God is within you"...Jesus, "He to whom you pray is
      nearer
      > than the neck of your camel"...Mohammed,..."God dwelleth in all
      > hearts"...Bhagavad Gita, etc. Even the (non-religious, non-
      Christian)