christian meditation

  • silauto
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 5, 2002
      Hi All,
      I would like to know about christian meditation if anyone has any
      idea.
    • Tony
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 6, 2002
        Hi Silauto,

        While I don't have an answer to your question, I would like to pose a more
        general question.

        How does religious meditation differ in quality from non-religious
        meditation?

        Has anyone practiced both forms and drawn any conclusions?

        ...Tony
      • silauto
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 6, 2002
          Hi Tony,

          Thanks for your input.I think the older a religion, it pertains to
          the vibrations of the people in the world then, so maybe in todays
          times it may not be possible to get certain results.
          All religions have their various prayers and passages which one may
          do to arrive at a certain result.
          I think one should have a short term and a long term aim while doing
          anything, so what would be an aim in case of a non religious
          meditation?
          By saying christian meditation, I dont mean to say that this is
          better or worse, but I think it is being widely practised maybe in
          the churches, so the outcome is better known to a wider population.

          silauto

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 6, 2002
            Dear Silauto, Tony, and all,
            Perhaps we can ask the question another way. What do religious
            (Christian) and non- religious meditations have in common. The word
            religion has as its root "Realization". And that's what meditators
            are seeking...Realization of who they are, who God is, what is the
            meaning of life, and so on. Many religious figures have meditated
            (think of both Jesus in the desert and Buddha under the Bodhi
            (Enlightenment) tree, both for 40 days), and come to Realization.
            They then had no more ???, just!!! The conclusions they came to were
            usually summed up in the instruction to look within (meditate)."The
            kingdom of God is within you"...Jesus, "He to whom you pray is nearer
            than the neck of your camel"...Mohammed,..."God dwelleth in all
            hearts"...Bhagavad Gita, etc. Even the (non-religious, non-Christian)
            scientist who is looking for the keys to how the universe works can
            be said to be meditating. He too is a Realization seeker. What the
            long tradition of religions offer are centuries old methodologies for
            the seeker to apply. Adoration of a Divinity by singing praises,
            chanting their name, emulating their perfection, and so on, are found
            in all religions. We have a very common meditation technique on our
            site that you may be interested in checking out. It "works" for the
            scientist who just thinks that energy at play is the cause of all
            things, as well as those who believe there is a creator of that
            energy. But it is probably most comfortable a technique for those who
            have a specific Being that they can visualize, such as Krishna,
            Jesus, Buddha. It can be found at this URL:
            Finally, I want to add that the best way to learn about meditation,
            is to meditate. The "quality" will be very clear with Realization. I
            am convinced that meditation, "religious", "non-relioious", whatever,
            is the best way to achieve the understanding that the directive to
            look within is aimed at.

            "silauto" <silauto@y...> wrote:
            > Hi Tony,
            > Thanks for your input.I think the older a religion, it pertains to
            > the vibrations of the people in the world then, so maybe in todays
            > times it may not be possible to get certain results.
            > All religions have their various prayers and passages which one may
            > do to arrive at a certain result.
            > I think one should have a short term and a long term aim while
            doing
            > anything, so what would be an aim in case of a non religious
            > meditation?
            > By saying christian meditation, I dont mean to say that this is
            > better or worse, but I think it is being widely practised maybe in
            > the churches, so the outcome is better known to a wider population.
            >
            > silauto
            > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "Tony" <tosime@l...> wrote:
            > > Hi Silauto,
            > >
            > > While I don't have an answer to your question, I would like to
            pose
            > a more
            > > general question.
            > >
            > > How does religious meditation differ in quality from non-religious
            > > meditation?
            > >
            > > Has anyone practiced both forms and drawn any conclusions?
            > >
            > > ...Tony
          • tjperez
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 6, 2002
              Many people meditate for purposes of their religion--others do so
              just to relax or whatever. In religious meditation, one uses a
              religious icon or prayer. In Catholic religions, people would "say"
              the Rosary by holding each bead and saying the prayer that's
              associated with that bead.

              Generally, I do meditation just for relaxation and to control
              anxiety; but I have tried a few different religious chants
              like "Hare Krsna"