Re: comments on Atma Bodha

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 4, 2002
      Dear Ramon,
      Thank you for sharing your analysis Of Atma Bodha. This is an example
      of Jnana yoga, the yoga of wisdom. A common instruction is often that
      the next step in the "work" should involve taking the thoughts from
      the intellectual center, and filling your heart and actions with the
      knowledge you have realized. You, of course have nothing to do, or
      can do, in the process.

      Ramon Sender <rabar@m...>
      wrote:

      > Some comments on
      > ATMA BODHA by Adi Sankaracharya
      >
      > (apologies for the length, but it seems important to
      > get this out.)
      >
      > Quote to ponder while reading this:
      > "We are as gods and might as well get good at it."
      > Stewart Brand - Whole Earth
      Catalog

      > Although it is true that what Sankaracharya terms `this round
      > of existence' is like a dream that appears real as long as what
      > he names `the individual Atman' appears impure, we must
      after
      > Realization re-affirm the dream world's `solidity' in
      order to
      > help bring down the light into what Aurobindo terms
      > `inconscient matter.'
      >
      > Some quotes from `Atma Bodha' with commentary. I
      > apologize for the length, but I feel the need to get this out to
      > others:
      >
      > 7. The world shines as "real" as long as the Father of Reality,
      > the One, the non-dual basis of everything, is not known.
      >
      > Comment: When non-duality is understood, everything is
      > experienced as patterns and vibrations of varying frequencies
      > of primordial `stuff' that we call on one level
      `light,' on
      > another level `consciousness,' on another `matter'
      and `flesh'
> [...]
      >
      > Comment: Amen, bro'! Although the Sat-Chit-Ananda triangle
      > again has its reflection within the body's three centers of
      lower
      > belly, heart node and central brain capsule.
      >
      > 22. Just as the tremblings of the water are attributed by
      > children to the moon reflected in the water, in the same way
      > from ignorance the agency of action and other limitations are
      > attributed to the Atman.
      >
      > Comment: The Solor Logos, ever undefiled, penetrates all
      > dimensions and layers of the System. However in the densest
      > layers it can merely be perceived as a reflection of a reflection -
      > - a distant echo of its purest self.
      >
      > 23. Attachment, desire, pleasure, pain, and so forth are
      > perceived when the mind is active, but are not perceived in
      > deep, dreamless sleep when the mind is not active. Therefore,
      > these characteristics belong to the mind and not to the Atman.
      >
      > Comment: All events can be witnessed by the Atman, but the
      > Atman is not sullied by these.
      >
      > 24. Just as light is characteristic of the sun, and coolness of
      > water, and heat characteristic of fire, so the nature of the
      > Atman is Existence, Consciousness, Bliss.
      >
      > Comment: Okay, the Solar Logos is all three, so the Atman is
      > the Solar Logos - what we call the sun, our creator star.
      > Light is universal consciousness filtered through the heart of
      > our star, who burns out of love for his/her children. This light
      > enters our being as a `vertical' beam that our hearts
      transform
      > into the horizontal energy that we call `love.'When we
      balance
      > ourselves on the Middle Path, we become aware of this
      > ongoing transformative process, which we then realize is the
      > `ocean of bliss' into which we merge every night in deep
      sleep.

      > 25. 26. [These deal with the confusion between the ego
      > thinking it is the `knower' and becoming attached and
      fearful
      > of death and dissolution.]
      >
      > 27. (cont) But, there can be no fear when it is understood that
      > 'I am not the limited, separate ego; I am the Supreme Atman.'
      >
      > Comment: All we are is patterned sunlight, and at the core
      > eternally united with the Solar Logos, whether aware of it or
      > not.
      >
      > 28. As a lamp illumines the inert objects of a windowless
      > room, so too the Atman alone illumines the intellect and the
      > sense organs.
      > 29. As a lighted lamp does not need another lamp for
      > illumination, the Atman, which is the very body of
      > consciousness, does not need another consciousness to know
      > itself.
      >
      > 30. After denying all conditionings thus: 'The Atman is not
      > this, It is not this,' one should realize the Oneness of the
      > individual Atman with the universal Atman, in accordance
      > with the Profound Revelations of the Ancient Scriptures.
      >
      > Comment: The"Neti, neti" path ("not this, not
      this") is one of
> [...]
      > onto the planet in the form of great teachers and avatars, that
      > demonstrate in their own bodies the possibilities of conquering
      > both fear and suffering, but ultimately death itself.
      >
      > 38 thru 42 [instructions for attaining the state of Sat-Chit-
      > Ananda]
      >
      > 43. Just as the Dawn destroys the darkness of the night and
      > the sun then shines in fullness; so after the darkness of
      > ignorance has been destroyed, the Atman shines of Its own
      > accord.
      >
      > Comment: This is a very moving image, and to me refers to a
      > time when heaven comes to earth for all beings.
      >
      > 44. Truly, the Atman is always present, yet not realized
      > because of ignorance, just as the sun is always shining, but
      > not known through the storm clouds. When ignorance is
      > destroyed, the Atman is realized, like a missing ornament
      > being found on one's own neck.
      >
      > Comment: I always find it amusing that when the teacher
      > attempts to describe the very highest states, the image of the
      > sun always appears, at least as a symbol of the Truth. How
      > ironic that we must always abstract away from Reality to create
      > yet another reflection in ignorance of what really exists.
      >
      > Prayer: I acknowledge you, oh Beloved Solar Being, as the root
      > and cause and energy of my self on all levels of my existence. I
      > celebrate you with every breath I draw, with every beat of my
      > heart, and can only surrender my own highest self at your lotus
      > feet, for You are the Atman energy that drives our `local
      > universe' that we call our Solar Home. What lies beyond You
      > is beyond my ability to know, at least until I achieve total union
      > with your brilliance on all levels of my being.
      > Although my only desire is to dissolve into your heart, I take
      > on the task of planetary living to devote myself to transmuting
      > your rays into love beams for the good of all beings
      > everywhere, and to work for the divinization of this form to
      > prove that if I can do it on this my first birth into a planeary
      > body, and despite having accrued a heavy burden of karma
      > through various, then anybody can!
      >
      > 45 through 53 [further descriptions of the realization of the
      > Atman].
      >
      > 54-65. [A beautiful hymn to the Atman, which of course I
      > believe should be applied to the Solor Logos]
      >
      > Comment: Although there is "nothing to be attained after
      > attaining this experience," there is still "work to be
      > accomplished" planetside. Yes?
      >
      > Some little snippets that close the gap between the symbol and
      > the reality, in my view:
      >
      > 65. ... But he who has the eye of ignorance cannot see the
      > shining Atman any more than a blind man can see the brilliant
      > sun.
      >
      > Comment: Think of Plato's story of the people in the cave.
      > Think of how most people walk around in a trance, although
      > some part of their awareness is always interacting with the sun
      > ("Hm, cloudy, today." "Hm, it's clearing."
      "Hm, a glorious