Re: Be Master of the Mind and Intellect!

  • mlcanow
    Message 1 of 2 , May 23, 2003
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
> [...]
      tribulation
      > and trouble, botheration and vexation to the individual. So we
      always
      > have to be alert and careful and observe the state of our
      interior. We
      > should do everything that we can to make the intellect the superior
      > factor, the governing and deciding factor, and not let it be
      overcome
      > and controlled by the mind. The great Gayatri mantra
      says, "Illumine
      > our intellect." That is our best friend.
      >
      > However, let us suppose that due to its carelessness and not being
      > alert and vigilant, the intellect has somehow played into the
      hands of
      > the mind. Let us suppose that unfortunately we have failed to
      > recognise that this correct condition of the interior is an
      > indispensable necessity, that it is very important and has to be
      > acquired, retained and maintained. In that situation, is there some
      > solution, some way out?
      >
      > Emphatically, yes! There is a way out. For, fortunately for us, we
      > have a factor higher and superior to both the mind and the
      intellect
      > that make up our psyche. And that third factor, which is superior
      even
      > to the intellect, is a silent witness to both mind and intellect.
      >
      > It is a witnessing factor that stands apart. And because of its
      unique
      > position as something apart, unlike the intellect it can retain its
      > integrity, be itself and, therefore, be in a position to govern and
      > guide not only the intellect, but even the mind. If its powers are
      > developed, this third factor becomes the crucial factor, the most
      > important factor.
      >
      > And this witnessing factor is the Spirit, the breath of God. Herein
      > lies our solution. Identify with this third factor, this important
      > factor, this witnessing spiritual factor. Refuse to be drawn into a
      > state of identification with not only the body, refuse to be drawn
      > into a state of identification with even the mind, with even the
      > intellect, with even the psyche.
      >
      > "I am higher than the mind, I am higher than the intellect. I can
      help
      > the intellect to free itself from the mind, if need be." In this
      way,
      > we must understand our interior, the life and the power of this
      higher
      > third factor, which is beyond even the psyche and which is
      superior to
      > the mind as well as to the intellect. Therein lies the possibility
      of
      > uplifting ourselves to a state even higher than this unseen inner
      > dimension of our being. Therein lies the key and the solution to be
      > master of the entire situation—which is your rightful role in this
      > entire set-up of the human personality.
      >
      > Claim your rightful role! Play your rightful role. Assume charge.
      Be
      > firmly established in this role. Exercise it. Let it play the most
      > important part in your life, in your daily activities. In this lies
      > your real good. In this lies true inner success. May God and
      Gurudev
      > help us to do this!
      >
      > By Swami Chidananda
      > President,
      > Divine Life Society

      Dear Bob,
      thank you for these words. They remind me of my preceptor, Sri Ratan
      Lal, and they remind me of my own sadhana once a time, Gayatri
      Mantra day and night.
      Sri Ratan Lal says: there are three ordinary states of the mind,
      deep sleep, sleep with dreams, and waking. But there is a fourth
      state, turiya, the witness state.
      And some times, dependidng on the audience, he added: But there is
      another state, which is beyond the fourth state, and that is called
      turiyatita.
      He talks and says many things in such a simple way. And he loves
      when he is asked about the practices to be done for all this
      knowledge or for liberation to be attained. Then, among the various
      practices he recommends, there is one that stroke me highly: pay
      attention to attention, be the witness of the witness.

      with love, respect and thankfulness,
      maria luisa