Re: Journal Entry-Eve

    Message 1 of 37 , Aug 1, 2002
      Hi Eve. We're going to feature the OM meditation in the issue of The
      Inner Traveler that should be coming out next week. We were going to
      run this quote by Swami Sivananda with it, but there wasn't room, as
      the incredible OM artwork would have been diminished. So, I thought
      it would be good to share here with you and everyone;

      "The mind wants something upon which to lean. That is why Patanjali
      insisted that a Yogi should have Om as his Mantra and meditate on its
      significance. Om is the name of Brahman (God). Om is Satchidananda
      (Truth, Consciousness, Bliss). Om is omniscience and omnipotence. It
      is light, joy and peace. Meditate on these ideas, then you will enjoy
      Brahmic Consciousness. There is no doubt about this. Behind all names
      and forms you will then perceive the nameless and formless Brahman."

      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., eveneon <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > Date: August 1, 2002
      > Time: 8:30am
      > Duration: 45 minutes (open)
      > Position: Sitting in chair, eyes closed, hands resting on knees,
      > palms up
      > Technique: Breath and body awareness
      > Variation: chanted OM silently
      >
      > My concentration was pretty good today. I kept my focus and just
      > watched. I was very aware of my body today. I didn't have any
      > discomfort and I was very relaxed. Began and ended my session with
      > three Om's out loud. Pleasant session.
    • Tony
      Message 37 of 37 , Nov 15, 2002
        Hi Eve,

        The sound you can hear comes up not only during meditation but at any time
        you become present enough to "listen" to yourself.

        I have found I have up to 5 or more different voices depending on the
        situation and my frame of mind. My typical voice is a logical, reasoning
        type of person - a bit like a college professor I think! I sometimes have
        the voice of child-like astonishment. A very long time ago (over 25 years) I
        was very surprised to hear a dark, mysterious, frightening voice telling me
        to stop playing mind games and go to sleep.

        As you get to know your different voices you get a better picture of your
        frame of mind at the time. The next stage might involve switching voices
        when you need a different way of looking at a situation. A further stage
        still might be inventing a new voice to achieve a desired effect. But maybe
        that is going too far in the wrong direction. Keeping it simple might be a
        better approach. If it happens we notice a change in voice at any time we
        can simply take that into account.

        ...Tony