Re: Who am I

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2002
      First Sandeep shares Sahaja, our natural state, with us. Then, here,
      he shows us all that obscures it. He asks us to Realize and just be.
      Is there any greater kindness he can share. I think not!
      "Sandeep Chatterjee"
      <sandeepc@b...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > Whether a spiritual quest or any quest, the focus is always on the
      goal, on the issue, isn't it?

      > The goal of spiritual bliss, of Enlightenment, of awakening, of
      reaching God

      > Or
      >
      > The issue of how to resolve the misery of living, get peace of mind
      >
      > Or,
      >
      > Seeking the new 4 bedroom house, the third car, maybe a couple of
      million dollars, a promotion, a new job, any job, seeking a
      self-fulfilling relationship, seeking to save/get out of a
      relationship, etc, etc.

      > Rather than the issue, or the goal, we rarely wonder just who is
      it,
      that seeks spiritual bliss or Enlightenment or God, or the million
      dollars?

      > Just who is it that is in misery?
      >
      > Who is it, that is in the quest?
      >
      > Who is this "seeker"?
      >
      > Who am I?
      >
      > The focus always is on the issue or the goal and the debate on the
      effectiveness of various means, schools of thought, philosophical
      streams, Guru X, or Y, Master P or Q, etc etc to achieve the issue,
      reach the goal.

      > Would not this focus, be like wondering whether the water of the
      mirage-lake in the desert, is it hot or cold?

      > And debating how to measure that temperature ?
      >

      > What is the existential reality of this self, which seeks, whatever
      it seeks in the moment?

      > What is the existential reality of the identity which you have
      assumed yourself to be?

      > What is it's Truth?
      >

      > Who am I?
      >

      > Before stepping into that, what is existential Reality?
      >
      > What is Truth?
      >
      > Existential Reality or Truth would be "that" which needs no
      "other",
      depends on no "other", for it's existence.

      > It stands completed in itself.
      >

      > Now let's look at the typical icons of identity which is normally
      assumed for oneself.

      > -A name
      >
      > -A conglomeration of professional knowledge, skills, etc ( I am
      manager in a Multinational Company, or I am a speech therapist, I am
      Educationist, I am a wannabe doctor, I am radiologists, I am a Dean
      in
      a University)

      > -A wife, a husband, a son, a father, a mother, a daughter, a
      respected member of the neighborhood society, a citizen of a country

      > -A woman, a man
      >
      > -A human being in contrast to an animal or a snail.
      >
      > -An entity holding some profound realizations, memories of
      experiences out of which has evolved the dearly cherished
      Life-values,
      convictions, spiritual understandings, a spiritual seeker, a
      non-spiritual, whatever.

      > -A human organism, which is alive, with a sense of volition, free
      will, to do or not to do, to decide between this and that, etc, etc.

      > Are these not the typical icons, with which we paint our
      self-identity?

      > Look at any of these icons.
      >

      > None of them can exist, on it's own.
      >
      > A simple visualization will make it evident.
      >

      > Imagine yourself as the sole survivor of a global catastrophe.
      >
      > Except you, nothing else, nobody else has survived.
      >
      > You are wandering about, with nobody else in sight, nothing else in
      sight.

      > Without an "other", does your name, Chelle, Kathleen, Moushimi,
      Amitava, Neeti, Soniya, Indroneel, have any meaning, any relevance?

      > Without an "other", does your vocational knowledge, your skills in
      whatever business you are involved in, your spiritual work that you
      are engaged in, your Life-values, your religious convictions, have
      any
      meaning, any relevance?

      > Without an "other", does the assumed identities, of a wife, of a
      mother, of a daughter, of a respected (or non-respected) member of
      society, of a son, of a father, of a husband, whatever, do they have
      any meaning, any relevance?

      > Without an "other", does your "femaleness" or "maleness", have any
      meaning, any relevance?
      > How will you define "maleness" without the existing contrast of
      "femaleness"?
      > And vice-versa?
      >
      > Without an "other", does any of the convictions, values,
      conclusions, realizations, satoris, spiritual understandings that you
      hold on to, (for they define yourself to you), do any of that, have
      any meaning, any relevance?

      > Without an "other", does your conviction about being a human
      organism with free will, have any meaning, any relevance?

      > Without an "other", how would you even be convinced that you have
      survived the global catastrophe?

      > That you are in fact, even "alive"?
      >
      > Without an "other", does "life" and "death", these convictions,
      which run you, have they any meaning, any relevance?

      > In each of these identities, it cannot stand on it's own.
      >
      > It needs a contrasting opposite, an "other" to lend to it, it's
      existential meaning.

      > Ergo, can any of these be the reality of your existence?
      >

      > Or define the truth of your existence?
      >

      > How do you know that you actually exist?
      >
      > Because, you are, right now sitting in front of a PC screen,
      reading
      these strange signs on the screen, connoting a crazy meaning?

      > That you eat, take a shit in the morning, go to work, make love,
      relate to people, see other people alive, or dying, etc etc?

      > All this could be happening in a dream.
      >
      > In a dream, you are alive, you eat, you do this or that, you have
      profound discussions, you are fearful you make love, you do cruel
      acts, you do profound acts.

      > And in the dream, while dreaming, you do not know that you are
      dreaming.

      > If another dreamed-up character walked upto you in the dream, or
      sends you a dream-message through the dreamed Internet connection,
      indicating that you are a dreamed-up character, you will laugh, be
      upset, not believe, and if your anger is sufficient, maybe even nail
      him to a cross, or burn her up.

      > While you are dreaming, it is so real to you, that many a time, you
      break into cold sweat, you cry out, you shout, you laugh, you cry,
      you
      have wet dreams, all while sound asleep.

      > Isn't it so?
      >

      > So what gives you the firm conviction that you are not a dreamed
      up-character in the dream of a tsetse fly and you will go "pooof",
      when the fly wakes up, from it's 10 second sleep.

      > Time?
      >
      > Have you never dreamt where an entire life-time of 89-90 years
      flashed by, in it's minutest details, in a dream time of couple of
      hours?

      > If you have not, know that, such has been a case with many a people.
      >
      > Continuity?
      >
      > You remember a previous waking days, events, experiences, work
      done,
      work undone etc, etc?

      > Continuity is a function of the recording of the memory.
      >
      > In that respect the night-sleep--dream has a more powerful effect
      on
      memory, than the other way around.

      > Why do I say that?
      >
      > You would have had, at some time in your life, such a powerful
      dream, that it's effect as "moroseness" or "happiness", carried on
      into your waking state, while at work, or while doing your house work.

      > But never does your day-waking-functionings gets carried into your
      sleep-dreaming state, (except may be when you had some bad Lobsters
      for dinner)

      > Continuity is no basis for the existential reality of an identity.
      >

      > Centuries back, the Tao Master Chuang Tzu had posed the same
      question....

      > If Chuang Tzu can dream, it's become a butterfly flitting from
      flower to flower, why is it not possible that it is the butterfly
      dreaming that it is Chuang Tzu holding spiritual discourses.