Re: Sahaja

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2002
      Dear Sandeep,
      What a beautiful clarification of an esoteric wisdom. Without "the
      artificial superstructures of civilization and its artificial
      concepts" we are left with our natural state...the truly civilized
      Sahaja. Paying attention to life as it takes place, it is such a joy
      when wisdom presents itself and the nature of Nature is known. Thanks
      for the in-sight!
      Peace and blessings,
      "Sandeep Chatterjee"
      <sandeepc@b...> wrote:
      > When we review the vast procession of naked, ragged and unkempt
      dropouts who illuminated the dreary passages of history to leave
      wisdom on which lesser minds could ponder, have we not cause for
      wonder? What is it that made these men so different from the men of
      the mass.
      > The answer is that the former had Sahaja.
      > Man is born with an instinct for naturalness. He has never
      the days of his primordial perfection except inasmuch as the memory
      becomes buried under the artificial superstructures of civilization
      and its artificial concepts. Sahaja means natural. It not only
      natural on physical and spiritual levels, but on the mystic level of
      the miraculous. It means that easy or natural state of living without
      planning, design, contriving, seeking, wanting, striving or
      > What is to come must come of itself. It is the seed which falls to
      the ground, becomes seedling, sapling and then a vast shady tree of
      which the Pipal or Ashvattha is a classical example and used in
      teaching. The tree grows according to Sahaja, natural and spontaneous
      in complete conformity with the Natural Law of the Universe. Nobody
      tells it what to do and how to grow. It has no svadharma or rules,
      duties and obligations incurred by birth. It has only svabhava, its
      own inborn self or essence to guide it.
      > Sahaja is that nature which, when once established, brings the
      of absolute freedom and peace. It is when you are in your natural
      state, in the harmony of the Cosmos. It is the balanced reality
      between the pairs of opposites. Thus sahaja expresses one who has
      reverted to his natural state, free from conditioning. It typifies
      outlook which belongs to the natural, spontaneous and uninhibited
      free from innate or inherited defects.
      > In all the Golden Dharmas sahaja flourishes. In Taoism it was the
      highest virtue (re). In the earlier Zen records it is the main plank
      of training along which the disciples had to walk. The masters
      demanded answers which were sahaja and not the product of
      thinking or reason. The truth only came spontaneously.
      > Sahaja in Chinese became tzu-jan or Self-so ness. Taoism openly
      lamented the loss of the peculiar naturalness and unselfconsciousness
      of the child. Lao Tzu saw that Confucian ethics (which have their
      counterpart in the modern world) crushed the original natural
      loveliness of the child into the rigid patterns of its conventions.
      > Retirement from such a society became the outer symbol of freedom
      from the bonds and bounds of conventional society. Taoism, as
      Brahma-Vidya and Zen, saw retirement or renunciation as the only
      possible way for men to recover sahaja. Thus the greatest quality of
      children again became recaptured by saints and sages.
      > Artificial clowns throng the world:
      > Only children and saints know sahaja.
      > Dattatreya tried to teach men that if they had sahaja there was no
      need to do anything to prove it. It manifested only by the way one
      > Sukhadev, the great naked Mahatma who expounded the Bhagavad
      stood, when a young man, naked in the presence of his father, the
      Vyasa, to be initiated into the Brahmin caste with mantra and sacred
      thread. This was a moment such as we have just mentioned, when the
      natural unspoiled boy was to be ushered into a world of concepts,
      ideas and obligations, and all naturalness would be lost.
      > Sukhadev decided to keep his sahaja. Taking to his heels, he ran
      from the house and took to the path which wound itself along the side
      of a river and into the jungle.
      > As he came to the river some young women were bathing naked in the
      water. They took no notice of Sukhadev and he only glanced and ran
      But Vyasa the father was hot on his tracks, and following the young
      man to induce him to return. But as Vyasa approached the river, the
      young women screamed, rushed for their garments and covered
      as he drew near. Having observed their complete indifference when his
      naked son ran past, and this modest but demonstrative display at his
      own approach, Vyasa could not help wondering at the contrast.
      > He stopped by the now covered women, and asked for some explanation
      of such widely different behaviour towards his naked son and his
      decorously dressed self. One of the women explained: "When your son
      looks at us he sees only people and is not conscious of male and
      female. He is just as unconscious of our nakedness as he is of his
      own, but with you, Maharaj Vyasa it is different." Sukhadev had
      sahaja, and the women knew it. He knew it, and never lost it. His
      father never caught up with him and he never returned home. He became
      one of India's many great saints, not living in any fixed place, but
      only in the fullness of the immediate present.