Ego

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 30, 2002
      "Ego! Ego! Ego!...Just get over it!"
      Kir LI Molari
    • angelicspirit2000
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 21, 2003
        My Friends,

        I am again out of the lurking around mode and
        quietness--I have been learning by listening. Ego I
        find is very damaging to myself. In many ways I can
        forgo ego, then it rears up again.

        Welcome to the new members. To meditate and be one
        with all brings me peace. I then pray that peace is
        shining to enlighten others!

        Lovingly in Spirit!
        TW

        =====
        "Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." Ralph Waldo Emerson

        http://shopping.yahoo.com
      • Tony Osime
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 19, 2005
          Hello everyone,

          This is an interesting thread on ego.

          I have a question.

          Has anyone had an "encounter" with his or her ego?

          This is a hard question to ask and explain but let me try.

          I have a sense that our "ego" can operate as a separate entity from our
          normal mind. It can communicate with us when it decides to "step out of
          line".

          The model I have of our mind is not one single entity, but a number of
          entities all standing in line, as it were, like a line of soldiers, one
          behind the other. Let us say that the major one is the first one in the
          line. The "ego" to me is one of these soldiers. Occasionally - for me, very
          rarely, it can step out of line and protest.

          The first (and really only) time I experienced this was about 30 years ago
          when I was experimenting trying to enter different states of consciousness
          as I was falling asleep. I thought it was just innocent fun until suddenly a
          voice shouted at me, "stop playing around and let us get some sleep". I
          froze with fear. I had no idea where the "voice" came from. But it sounded
          very familiar in a strange way. I later concluded that it was one of "my"
          voices - I will call it my "ego's voice" because it seemed like my ego that
          was talking, or rather protesting. My sense is that protests come from the
          ego.

          Would you say this was an "encounter" with one's ego? Has anyone experienced
          anything like this? I hope I am sane!

          ...Tony
        • jodyrrr
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 20, 2005
            The ego does not generally have one single voice, but
            many, known as subpersonalities. The ego is the constellation
            of these. What you are describing is the activity of a
            particular subpersonality in contrast to the others.

            Subpersonalities form alliances and divisions based on
            their own set of needs and expectations. Thus, one can
            single itself out and "speak" against the others if that
            one's needs/expectations are not being met.

            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Osime"