Re: Journal Entry-Eve

    Message 1 of 37 , Jul 25, 2002
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., eveneon <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      Notes: Focusing on only breath and body awareness doesn't seem to be
      enough to keep my concentration strong right now. I need to keep
      building it. Having one more anchor such as a mantra helps me to
      stay focused. Mind chatter is present but is a more of a constant
      watching then drifting off and bring my awareness back.
      Dear Eve,
      Often it is recommended to just be consistent with one technique. I
      think the Vedas call it "Put all your eggs in one basket" and the
      holy scriptures cite the advantages of this technique as something
      like "Jack of all trades, but master of One". Seriously, perhaps the
      body awareness/relaxation and breathing should just be preparatory
      and the Mantra be primary, and just go with this methodology for a
      good amount of time. It seems that body-breath hasn't been "working"
      that well for you for quite a while. I also know that awareness of
      "Now", mindfulness, has always attracted you, and for many, mantra
      actually helps focus on the Now improve, and become spontaneous. This
      is just a thought, and you know how unsubstantial and unreliable
      thoughts are, but maybe........
    • Tony
      Message 37 of 37 , Nov 15, 2002
        Hi Eve,

        The sound you can hear comes up not only during meditation but at any time
        you become present enough to "listen" to yourself.

        I have found I have up to 5 or more different voices depending on the
        situation and my frame of mind. My typical voice is a logical, reasoning
        type of person - a bit like a college professor I think! I sometimes have
        the voice of child-like astonishment. A very long time ago (over 25 years) I
        was very surprised to hear a dark, mysterious, frightening voice telling me
        to stop playing mind games and go to sleep.

        As you get to know your different voices you get a better picture of your
        frame of mind at the time. The next stage might involve switching voices
        when you need a different way of looking at a situation. A further stage
        still might be inventing a new voice to achieve a desired effect. But maybe
        that is going too far in the wrong direction. Keeping it simple might be a
        better approach. If it happens we notice a change in voice at any time we
        can simply take that into account.

        ...Tony