Journal Entry-Eve

  • eveneon
    Message 1 of 37 , Jul 25, 2002
      Date: July 25
      Time: 8:30am
      Duration: 45 minutes (open)
      Position: Sitting in chair, eyes closed, hands resting on knees,
      palms up
      Technique: Body and breath awareness

      I began today by focusing mainly on body awareness. Body felt pretty
      good. Concentration was so-so. Halfway through I started chanting OM
      silently. This improved my concentration and quieted mind chatter a
      little. Upon ending my session I opened my eyes and continued to
      breathe holding my awareness and chanting home. Continued this while
      I stretched for a few minutes.

      Notes: Focusing on only breath and body awareness doesn't seem to be
      enough to keep my concentration strong right now. I need to keep
      building it. Having one more anchor such as a mantra helps me to stay
      focused. Mind chatter is present but is a more of a constant watching
      then drifting off and bring my awareness back.
    • Tony
      Message 37 of 37 , Nov 15, 2002
        Hi Eve,

        The sound you can hear comes up not only during meditation but at any time
        you become present enough to "listen" to yourself.

        I have found I have up to 5 or more different voices depending on the
        situation and my frame of mind. My typical voice is a logical, reasoning
        type of person - a bit like a college professor I think! I sometimes have
        the voice of child-like astonishment. A very long time ago (over 25 years) I
        was very surprised to hear a dark, mysterious, frightening voice telling me
        to stop playing mind games and go to sleep.

        As you get to know your different voices you get a better picture of your
        frame of mind at the time. The next stage might involve switching voices
        when you need a different way of looking at a situation. A further stage
        still might be inventing a new voice to achieve a desired effect. But maybe
        that is going too far in the wrong direction. Keeping it simple might be a
        better approach. If it happens we notice a change in voice at any time we
        can simply take that into account.

        ...Tony