Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

A Meditative Life in 250 Words or Less

Expand Messages
  • medit8ionsociety
    Practice concentration on an object, sensation, or concept for 20 minutes twice a day. Merge and emerge into meditation. In the other 23:20, be in a meditative
    Message 1 of 9 , May 7, 2003
    • 0 Attachment
      Practice concentration on an object, sensation, or concept for 20
      minutes twice a day. Merge and emerge into meditation. In the other
      23:20, be in a meditative mode. Practice mindfulness and being empty
      of mind. Enquire into "Who am I". Discriminate between the
      real and infinite, and the illusionary and temporary. Be dispassionate
      as you witness your ever changing thoughts, physical sensations, and
      emotions. Control the breath with pranayama. Chant a mantra/OM. Do
      affirmations. Eat, sleep and drink as your body needs, not as your
      tongue, habits, ego or desires dictate. Recognize and break free from
      compulsive behaviors. Be selfless, humble, and compassionate. Be
      generous, charitable and quick to forgive others and yourself. Get
      over being upset ASAP. Don't carry anger or revenge or anything
      else that disturbs your peace. Don't rehash the past or fantasize
      about the future. Do yoga, martial arts or some physical activity.
      Appreciate the freedom that "Thy will be done" brings to you.
      Detach yourself from the people, places, and things that take your
      peace away. Spend time in nature. Be helpful to animals, children and
      our elders. Study scriptures and books of wisdom. Have a sincere
      burning desire for liberation. Be patient. Dedicate your actions to
      your divinity. Flow with visions and powers as they come and let them
      go as they go. Witness the Witness in silence. If a teacher comes to
      you, learn. Limitless in the eternal, finite in the body, don't
      squander energy or time. Have fun, enjoy, laugh. Love.

      Peace and blessings,
      Bob
      ______________________________________________________________________

      "Be good. Do good."
      Swami Sivanand
    • texasbg2000
      ... wrote: This is really a tour de force Bob. It is the kind of message that has to be written off the top of the head by someone who really
      Message 2 of 9 , May 7, 2003
      • 0 Attachment
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:


        This is really a tour de force Bob. It is the kind of message that
        has to be written off the top of the head by someone who really knows
        what they are talking about. I can't tell you how much I respect the
        dedication and peace revealed in this message.
        Pranams,
        Bobby G.

        > Practice concentration on an object, sensation, or concept for 20
        > minutes twice a day. Merge and emerge into meditation. In the other
        > 23:20, be in a meditative mode. Practice mindfulness and being empty
        > of mind. Enquire into "Who am I". Discriminate between the
        > real and infinite, and the illusionary and temporary. Be
        dispassionate
        > as you witness your ever changing thoughts, physical sensations, and
        > emotions. Control the breath with pranayama. Chant a mantra/OM. Do
        > affirmations. Eat, sleep and drink as your body needs, not as your
        > tongue, habits, ego or desires dictate. Recognize and break free
        from
        > compulsive behaviors. Be selfless, humble, and compassionate. Be
        > generous, charitable and quick to forgive others and yourself. Get
        > over being upset ASAP. Don't carry anger or revenge or anything
        > else that disturbs your peace. Don't rehash the past or fantasize
        > about the future. Do yoga, martial arts or some physical activity.
        > Appreciate the freedom that "Thy will be done" brings to you.
        > Detach yourself from the people, places, and things that take your
        > peace away. Spend time in nature. Be helpful to animals, children
        and
        > our elders. Study scriptures and books of wisdom. Have a sincere
        > burning desire for liberation. Be patient. Dedicate your actions to
        > your divinity. Flow with visions and powers as they come and let
        them
        > go as they go. Witness the Witness in silence. If a teacher comes to
        > you, learn. Limitless in the eternal, finite in the body, don't
        > squander energy or time. Have fun, enjoy, laugh. Love.
        >
        > Peace and blessings,
        > Bob
        >
        ______________________________________________________________________
        >
        > "Be good. Do good."
        > Swami Sivanand
      • medit8ionsociety
        Thank you Bobby G, I thought tht maybe every once in a while we d share something about meditation, not personalities or advaita shuffles :-) Peace and
        Message 3 of 9 , May 7, 2003
        • 0 Attachment
          Thank you Bobby G,

          I thought tht maybe every once in a while we'd share something about
          meditation, not personalities or advaita shuffles :-)

          Peace and blessings,
          Bob

          "texasbg2000" <Bigbobgraham@a...> wrote:
          > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety
          > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          >
          >
          > This is really a tour de force Bob. It is the kind of message that
          > has to be written off the top of the head by someone who really
          knows
          > what they are talking about. I can't tell you how much I respect
          the
          > dedication and peace revealed in this message.
          > Pranams,
          > Bobby G.
          >
          > > Practice concentration on an object, sensation, or concept for 20
          > > minutes twice a day. Merge and emerge into meditation. In the
          other
          > > 23:20, be in a meditative mode. Practice mindfulness and being
          empty
          > > of mind. Enquire into "Who am I". Discriminate between the
          > > real and infinite, and the illusionary and temporary. Be
          > dispassionate
          > > as you witness your ever changing thoughts, physical sensations,
          and
          > > emotions. Control the breath with pranayama. Chant a mantra/OM. Do
          > > affirmations. Eat, sleep and drink as your body needs, not as your
          > > tongue, habits, ego or desires dictate. Recognize and break free
          > from
          > > compulsive behaviors. Be selfless, humble, and compassionate. Be
          > > generous, charitable and quick to forgive others and yourself. Get
          > > over being upset ASAP. Don't carry anger or revenge or anything
          > > else that disturbs your peace. Don't rehash the past or fantasize
          > > about the future. Do yoga, martial arts or some physical activity.
          > > Appreciate the freedom that "Thy will be done" brings to you.
          > > Detach yourself from the people, places, and things that take your
          > > peace away. Spend time in nature. Be helpful to animals, children
          > and
          > > our elders. Study scriptures and books of wisdom. Have a sincere
          > > burning desire for liberation. Be patient. Dedicate your actions
          to
          > > your divinity. Flow with visions and powers as they come and let
          > them
          > > go as they go. Witness the Witness in silence. If a teacher comes
          to
          > > you, learn. Limitless in the eternal, finite in the body, don't
          > > squander energy or time. Have fun, enjoy, laugh. Love.
          > >
          > > Peace and blessings,
          > > Bob
          > >
          >
          ______________________________________________________________________
          > >
          > > "Be good. Do good."
          > > Swami Sivanand
        • sheel amit
          IN MY OWN PERSONAL SEARCH FOR THE MEANINGS OF EXISTENCE AND LIFE ,I TRAVELLED ALL OVER THE WORLD AND FINALLY IT DAWNED UPON ME AT THE FOOTHILL OF HIMALYAS IN
          Message 4 of 9 , May 8, 2003
          • 0 Attachment
            IN MY OWN PERSONAL SEARCH FOR THE MEANINGS OF EXISTENCE AND LIFE ,I TRAVELLED ALL OVER THE WORLD AND FINALLY IT DAWNED UPON ME AT THE FOOTHILL OF HIMALYAS IN INDIA.ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO PUT INTO WORDS WHAT EXISTENCE IS AS IT HAS TO BE AN EXPERIENCE BUT WHAT I HAVE KNOWN I CAN TELL YOU A LITTLE AS TO GRASP THE WHOLE TAKES A LONG TIME AND HAS TO BE ATTAINED SLOWLY. HERE I SHALL IN THE BEST POSSIBLE WAY TRY TO TELL YOU A LITTLE ABOUT EXISTENCE.I HAVE TAKEN UP MYSELF AS THE QUESTIONERE AND BRAHMAN(EXISTENCE) AS THE ANSWERER SO THAT I CAN IN BEST WORDS POTRAY MY KNOWLEDGE TO YOU..

            TALKS WITH BRAHMAN(answerer here)


            Q WHO ARE YOU
            A I AM WHAT YOU SEE AND PERCIEVE
            Q WHO AM I
            A ALL THAT YOU KNOW YOU ARE
            Q DO YOU EXIST IN ME
            A YES AND NO
            Q DO I EXIST IN YOU
            A YES AND NO
            Q IF I CLOSE MY EYES I CANNOT SEE YOU
            A TRUE
            Q IF I CLOSE ALL MY SENSE OF PERCEPTION THEN I CANT PERCIEVE YOU
            A TRUE
            Q THEN FOR ME YOU ARE MY PERCEPTION
            A TRUE
            Q WHY DO I BREATHE
            A TO LIVE
            Q WHY DO I LIVE
            A BECAUSE YOU ARE ALIVE
            Q WHY AM I ALIVE
            A BECAUSE OF THE PEOPLE WHO CONCIEVED YOU
            Q WHY DO I BREATHE
            A YOU DONT
            Q I DONT UNDERSTAND ?OKAY DO I BREATHE
            A NO YOU DONT
            Q WHY DO YOU SAY SO WHEN I AM BREATHING?
            A BECAUSE TO BREATHE IS NOT IN YOUR HANDS.WHEN YOU WERE BORN YOU
            DID NOT DECIDE THAT I SHALL START BREATHING AND WHEN YOU ARE DYING
            THEN ALSO YOU CANT SAY THAT NOW I SHALL STOP MY BREADTH.YOU CANNOT
            SAY THAT NOW I SHALL STOP GREATHING AND LATER I WILL CONTINUE.
            Q THEN WHO BREATHES
            A THE ONE WHO LIVES
            Q SO ,I UNDERSTOOD THAT I AM NOT BREATHING BUT THEN I DO LIVE?
            A YES YOU LIVE BUT YOU ARE NOT BREATHING.
            Q DO YOU EXIST AS I SEE YOU
            A YES
            Q YOU MEAN ALL THE STARS THE SUN THE PLANETS AND ALL THE THINGS DO
            YOU EXIST AS THAT
            A YES ALL THAT AND ALL THAT IS CONCIEVABLE TO YOU.BUT AGAIN I AM
            ANSWERING THE QUESTION ONLY FOR YOU AS AN INDIVIDUAL.
            Q BUT FOR ME MY EXISTENCE IS WHAT MATTERS
            A TRUE
            Q SO AS LONG AS I EXIST YOU ARE THERE AND IF I DIE THEN YOU ALSO
            CEASE TO EXIST
            A TRUE BUT ONLY FOR YOU
            Q SO LET ME CLEAR THIS THAT FOR INDIVIDUAL ME IF I LIVE THEN YOU
            LIVE
            A TRUE
            Q AND FOR ME IF I DIE THEN YOU ALSO DIE
            A TRUE
            Q AND MY BIRTH AND DEATH IS NOT IN MY HANDS
            A TRUE
            Q SO WE CAN SAY THAT YOU LIVE THROUGH ME
            A TRUE
            Q WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I DIE
            A WHEN YOU LIVE, I LIVE THROUGH YOU AND WHEN YOU DIE ,YOU LIVE
            THROUGH ME UNDERSTAND THIS WELL FOR THIS IS THE ESSENCE AND I
            SHALL REPEAT AGAIN - WHEN YOU LIVE I LIVE THROUGH YOU AND WHEN YOU
            DIE YOU LIVE THROUGH ME.



            I HOPE THE ABOVE WILL BE OF IMMENSE VALUE TO ONE AND ALL WHO
            WANTED TO CLEAR FEW BASIC DOUBTS.
            FOR ALL THOSE WHO WISH TO ATTAIN MORE DO NOT HESITATE TO MAIL ME AT MOONABYSS2002@....

            PLEASE FORWARD THIS ON TO EVERYBODY WHO YOU KNOW WOULD LIKE TO GATHER THE FIRST STEPS.













            Catch all the cricket action. Download Yahoo! Score tracker

            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          • texasbg2000
            If the truth is defined as that which does not change, then how can a thought be considered the truth. Misconception and accurate cognition are better
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 9 7:58 AM
            • 0 Attachment
              If the truth is defined as that which does not change, then how can a
              thought be considered the truth.

              Misconception and accurate cognition are better designations for
              thoughts. Accurate cognition is referred to as the truth. What is
              wrong with that?

              Is it really so profound to confound the two meanings of the
              word 'truth', and call that the truth?

              Moralists consistantly use this confusion to justify their own
              misconceptions, and blind the reason of others.

              love
              Bobby G.
            • medit8ionsociety
              ... a ... Yo Sri Bobby G, Actually, the initial statement... The truth is...there is no Truth. And that s the Truth! seems to be a semi-typical Sufi device
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 9 10:19 AM
              • 0 Attachment
                --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "texasbg2000"
                <Bigbobgraham@a...> wrote:
                > If the truth is defined as that which does not change, then how can
                a
                > thought be considered the truth.
                >
                > Misconception and accurate cognition are better designations for
                > thoughts. Accurate cognition is referred to as the truth. What is
                > wrong with that?
                >
                > Is it really so profound to confound the two meanings of the
                > word 'truth', and call that the truth?
                >
                > Moralists consistantly use this confusion to justify their own
                > misconceptions, and blind the reason of others.
                >
                > love
                > Bobby G.

                Yo Sri Bobby G,
                Actually, the initial statement..."The truth is...there is no Truth.
                And that's the Truth!" seems to be a semi-typical Sufi device that
                presents both sides of a concept in a way that negates the validity
                of either view. This presents the opportunity to cease further mental
                chattering about the subject, and opens the door to the possibility
                of direct experience of the subject/concept that words, be they ones
                of "Truth" or of "Untruth", can only point to.
                And that may or may not be the Truth:-)
                Peace and blessings,
                Bob
              • texasbg2000
                ... can ... is ... mental ... ones ... just chattering Bob. The old message board is a little dry these days. If there is no justice there is no need for
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 9 5:37 PM
                • 0 Attachment
                  --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety
                  <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "texasbg2000"
                  > <Bigbobgraham@a...> wrote:
                  > > If the truth is defined as that which does not change, then how
                  can
                  > a
                  > > thought be considered the truth.
                  > >
                  > > Misconception and accurate cognition are better designations for
                  > > thoughts. Accurate cognition is referred to as the truth. What
                  is
                  > > wrong with that?
                  > >
                  > > Is it really so profound to confound the two meanings of the
                  > > word 'truth', and call that the truth?
                  > >
                  > > Moralists consistantly use this confusion to justify their own
                  > > misconceptions, and blind the reason of others.
                  > >
                  > > love
                  > > Bobby G.
                  >
                  > Yo Sri Bobby G,
                  > Actually, the initial statement..."The truth is...there is no Truth.
                  > And that's the Truth!" seems to be a semi-typical Sufi device that
                  > presents both sides of a concept in a way that negates the validity
                  > of either view. This presents the opportunity to cease further
                  mental
                  > chattering about the subject, and opens the door to the possibility
                  > of direct experience of the subject/concept that words, be they
                  ones
                  > of "Truth" or of "Untruth", can only point to.
                  > And that may or may not be the Truth:-)
                  > Peace and blessings,
                  > Bob

                  just chattering Bob.

                  The old message board is a little dry these days.

                  If there is no justice there is no need for truth. That is probably
                  not true. Or is it?

                  Love
                  Bobby G.
                • medit8ionsociety
                  ... Hi Bobby GJi, I m watching many seeming injustices play out right now in my so called real life . Such as the death at 51 of one of my closest friends 3
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 9 6:10 PM
                  • 0 Attachment
                    --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "texasbg2000"
                    <Bigbobgraham@a...> wrote:
                    > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety
                    > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                    > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "texasbg2000"
                    > > <Bigbobgraham@a...> wrote:
                    > > > If the truth is defined as that which does not change, then how
                    > can
                    > > a
                    > > > thought be considered the truth.
                    > > >
                    > > > Misconception and accurate cognition are better designations for
                    > > > thoughts. Accurate cognition is referred to as the truth. What
                    > is
                    > > > wrong with that?
                    > > >
                    > > > Is it really so profound to confound the two meanings of the
                    > > > word 'truth', and call that the truth?
                    > > >
                    > > > Moralists consistantly use this confusion to justify their own
                    > > > misconceptions, and blind the reason of others.
                    > > >
                    > > > love
                    > > > Bobby G.
                    > >
                    > > Yo Sri Bobby G,
                    > > Actually, the initial statement..."The truth is...there is no Truth.
                    > > And that's the Truth!" seems to be a semi-typical Sufi device that
                    > > presents both sides of a concept in a way that negates the validity
                    > > of either view. This presents the opportunity to cease further
                    > mental
                    > > chattering about the subject, and opens the door to the possibility
                    > > of direct experience of the subject/concept that words, be they
                    > ones
                    > > of "Truth" or of "Untruth", can only point to.
                    > > And that may or may not be the Truth:-)
                    > > Peace and blessings,
                    > > Bob
                    >
                    > just chattering Bob.
                    >
                    > The old message board is a little dry these days.
                    >
                    > If there is no justice there is no need for truth. That is probably
                    > not true. Or is it?
                    >
                    > Love
                    > Bobby G.

                    Hi Bobby GJi,
                    I'm watching many seeming injustices play out right now in my so
                    called "real life". Such as the death at 51 of one of my closest
                    friends 3 weeks ago, my mother deteriating into dementia to the degree
                    that yesterday she had to be moved from her assisted living apartment
                    into the nursing section of her facility, another good friend in
                    heavy-duty treatment for severe thyroid problems, and my sister
                    getting post surgery chemo for cancer. And all of these people are
                    saints as far as I know, and have only been helpful and righteous
                    their whole life. And I sit witnessing the drama play out, and know
                    that Saadam and other so called "bad guys" are healthy right this Now.
                    And I discriminate between the finite and the infinite, and put aside
                    judgements, comparisons, and other intellectual ramblings, without any
                    more reactivity to emotional swings and physical sensations than as if
                    watching a TV show. The Big She/He in the Sky is using my eyes to see,
                    my ears to hear, my body to touch, my tongue to taste, and my nose to
                    smell this local environment, and my spirit to know the infinite. And
                    my blessing is to be able to go along for the ride. And I know there
                    is no "me" that is in any way a part of of the drama nor apart from
                    any of it. I know I know nothing of any Truth and am aware of the
                    reality of "Thy will be done". But yet, something within has a "gut
                    feeling" that because there is no justice, the Truth is that
                    .......how do buddhists put it??? ... something like ... "Until all
                    sentient beings have reached enlightenment, I will continue to do what
                    I can to be a vehicle for easing suffering and spreading ... uh... the
                    "Truth"
                    Peace and blessings,
                    Bob
                  • texasbg2000
                    ... medit8ionsociety ... meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, texasbg2000 ... how ... for ... What ... own ... Truth. ... that ... validity ...
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 9 8:20 PM
                    • 0 Attachment
                      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety
                      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                      > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "texasbg2000"
                      > <Bigbobgraham@a...> wrote:
                      > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com,
                      medit8ionsociety
                      > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                      > > > --- In
                      meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "texasbg2000"
                      > > > <Bigbobgraham@a...> wrote:
                      > > > > If the truth is defined as that which does not change, then
                      how
                      > > can
                      > > > a
                      > > > > thought be considered the truth.
                      > > > >
                      > > > > Misconception and accurate cognition are better designations
                      for
                      > > > > thoughts. Accurate cognition is referred to as the truth.
                      What
                      > > is
                      > > > > wrong with that?
                      > > > >
                      > > > > Is it really so profound to confound the two meanings of the
                      > > > > word 'truth', and call that the truth?
                      > > > >
                      > > > > Moralists consistantly use this confusion to justify their
                      own
                      > > > > misconceptions, and blind the reason of others.
                      > > > >
                      > > > > love
                      > > > > Bobby G.
                      > > >
                      > > > Yo Sri Bobby G,
                      > > > Actually, the initial statement..."The truth is...there is no
                      Truth.
                      > > > And that's the Truth!" seems to be a semi-typical Sufi device
                      that
                      > > > presents both sides of a concept in a way that negates the
                      validity
                      > > > of either view. This presents the opportunity to cease further
                      > > mental
                      > > > chattering about the subject, and opens the door to the
                      possibility
                      > > > of direct experience of the subject/concept that words, be they
                      > > ones
                      > > > of "Truth" or of "Untruth", can only point to.
                      > > > And that may or may not be the Truth:-)
                      > > > Peace and blessings,
                      > > > Bob
                      > >
                      > > just chattering Bob.
                      > >
                      > > The old message board is a little dry these days.
                      > >
                      > > If there is no justice there is no need for truth. That is
                      probably
                      > > not true. Or is it?
                      > >
                      > > Love
                      > > Bobby G.
                      >
                      > Hi Bobby GJi,
                      > I'm watching many seeming injustices play out right now in my so
                      > called "real life". Such as the death at 51 of one of my closest
                      > friends 3 weeks ago, my mother deteriating into dementia to the
                      degree
                      > that yesterday she had to be moved from her assisted living
                      apartment
                      > into the nursing section of her facility, another good friend in
                      > heavy-duty treatment for severe thyroid problems, and my sister
                      > getting post surgery chemo for cancer. And all of these people are
                      > saints as far as I know, and have only been helpful and righteous
                      > their whole life. And I sit witnessing the drama play out, and know
                      > that Saadam and other so called "bad guys" are healthy right this
                      Now.
                      > And I discriminate between the finite and the infinite, and put
                      aside
                      > judgements, comparisons, and other intellectual ramblings, without
                      any
                      > more reactivity to emotional swings and physical sensations than as
                      if
                      > watching a TV show. The Big She/He in the Sky is using my eyes to
                      see,
                      > my ears to hear, my body to touch, my tongue to taste, and my nose
                      to
                      > smell this local environment, and my spirit to know the infinite.
                      And
                      > my blessing is to be able to go along for the ride. And I know there
                      > is no "me" that is in any way a part of of the drama nor apart from
                      > any of it. I know I know nothing of any Truth and am aware of the
                      > reality of "Thy will be done". But yet, something within has a "gut
                      > feeling" that because there is no justice, the Truth is that
                      > .......how do buddhists put it??? ... something like ... "Until all
                      > sentient beings have reached enlightenment, I will continue to do
                      what
                      > I can to be a vehicle for easing suffering and spreading ... uh...
                      the
                      > "Truth"
                      > Peace and blessings,
                      > Bob

                      Well said Sri Bob. I feel pretty accepting myself most of the time.
                      My sister that raised me has cancer and is in bad shape but it
                      seems 'over there' somewhere.

                      And the odd thing is that I get emotional and cry for no reason at
                      all. Everything just gets sad all of a sudden. A little bit of
                      music or a picture or a memory and I am set off. So that is a bit
                      odd.

                      Finding out the truth is a good step to spreading it. Meditation is
                      one thing we can do.

                      Hesse's character, Sidhartha said he could meditate and wait. Two
                      talents. You might say they are the same thing.
                      Ramblin a little
                      Love
                      Bobby G.
                    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.