Re: unscripted hypnosis facilitation Re: about meditation vs hypnosis

  • Nina
    Message 1 of 3 , May 5, 2003
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Melody"
      <melodyande@c...> wrote:
      > That's a very good way of describing it, Nina.
      >
      > What's particularly useful in doing it in the
      > context of 'dream like imagery' is that the
      > normal resistances and avoidances have
      > fallen away. It's hard to describe (but
      > I would bet you understand), that using
      > this approach the experiencer learns to
      > experience things fully, yet doing so with
      > a degree of detachment....or surrender.....
      > not typical in their normal waking consciousness.

      Right. There is a potential stumbling block, too, as regards the
      images that come forth not being of the typical "normal waking"
      consciousness. The sense-making is entirely different. So, if someone
      is still attempting to make sense of these surfacings in the same way
      they make sense of "normal waking" situations, the process shuts
      down. However, it is possible to work within the sense-making
      paradigm of the particular surfacings and become 'active' in the
      session. So, maybe there is no apparent direct 1-to-1 relationship
      between the surfacings (unconscious) and situations (conscious), but
      the connections are still available.

      Another way of looking at it is to understand that each person has
      within them a particular makeup of imagination, complete with
      emphasis on particular manifestations of archetypes over others. The
      specifics of how these manifestations interact with other
      manifestations is also individual. This is why the 'unscripted'
      aspect is important, and why an individual must be present and active
      in the session, rather than being led through a scripted
      visualization.

      In some ways, working in this way is a little like having a
      conversation. I use words to refer to something that is bothering me.
      I have a conversation with Melody. Melody gives me feedback, the
      words I am using gradually change. Suddenly, the something that is
      bothering me is seen in a new light and it "changes". In this way of
      working, however, the entire conversation, all the words, Nina and
      Melody, take place within "the imagination", and may appear as
      images, sensations, thoughts, insights, etc., which may directly
      alter the course of something in my mind, body, or whatever. It is as
      if the "something in my mind, body, or whatever" were connected
      energetically to pieces in my "imagination" and by working on
      the "imagination pieces", I work on the "something in my mind, body,
      or whatever."

      > A good facilitator watches the body closely,
      > and learns to weave observations of body
      > cues into the dialogue.

      Yes.

      One of the most amazing things about this "approach" is that it lays
      bare the piece about "it all being" the flow of "information".

      I laugh thinking of an ex-colleague who talked (loud and
      opinionated), wrote emails (all caps), drew details (thick, fat lines
      and no sense of finesse), and designed buildings (lol!) exactly the
      way he looked and moved his body. His 'personality', as a set of
      on/offs of all the available qualities of 'personality', was
      pervasive through 'him'. He had filtered out certain aspects of this
      larger 'flow of information' and created a very thorough personhood.
      He was a complete piece of work! As we all are...

      > It's a fascinating approach not only to working
      > with issues that tend to drive behavior, but
      > with issues that tend to drive illness, as well.

      Yes, but do not expect it to be predictable or to have clean
      endings. :)

      > One lady, who was a friend with liver cancer,
      > never returned again to her doctor for
      > treatment after a particularly intensive session.
      > And that was more than 10 years ago. :-)

      Huh! Total remission?

      Nina