Suppression/meditation

    Message 1 of 2 , May 5, 2003
      As a former hormones-raging male teenager, it was my first hand
      experience to know what it was like to have to suppress lustful
      thoughts and actions, so as to not have to face ego-breaking
      situations, or even to prevent getting arrested:-) But as I matured,
      it became an automatic thing, and by 30 or so, I could be around women
      and actually see them as people and not just as objects of desire and
      lust. Infinitly more than when a teen, nothing there anymore needing
      to be suppressed, and thus suppression becomes a moot point. (BTW, I'm
      using 'moot" for the first time in decades, thinking it means not
      worth arguing about - right?). Similarly, meditation's role in
      suppression of negative state producing thoughts, for instance,
      becomes automatic and effortless, and like being able to talk to women
      openly and honestly without underlying lustful stuff going on, very
      rewarding. In meditation we go from Concentration, which could be seen
      as having a suppression component, to Meditation, which may be seen as
      a suppressionless simply-receptive effortless experience, to
      Contemplation, which although unlabelable, can be labeled as Being,
      neither suppressive nor non-suppressive.
      And now I'll suppress the inclination to say any more.
    • dan330033
      Message 2 of 2 , May 5, 2003
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > As a former hormones-raging male teenager, it was my first hand
        > experience to know what it was like to have to suppress lustful
        > thoughts and actions, so as to not have to face ego-breaking
        > situations, or even to prevent getting arrested:-) But as I matured,
        > it became an automatic thing, and by 30 or so, I could be around
        women
        > and actually see them as people and not just as objects of desire
        and
        > lust. Infinitly more than when a teen, nothing there anymore needing
        > to be suppressed, and thus suppression becomes a moot point. (BTW,
        I'm
        > using 'moot" for the first time in decades, thinking it means not
        > worth arguing about - right?). Similarly, meditation's role in
        > suppression of negative state producing thoughts, for instance,
        > becomes automatic and effortless, and like being able to talk to
        women
        > openly and honestly without underlying lustful stuff going on, very
        > rewarding. In meditation we go from Concentration, which could be
        seen
        > as having a suppression component, to Meditation, which may be seen
        as
        > a suppressionless simply-receptive effortless experience, to
        > Contemplation, which although unlabelable, can be labeled as Being,
        > neither suppressive nor non-suppressive.
        > And now I'll suppress the inclination to say any more.
        > Peace and blessings,
        > Bob

        Agreed, Bob, it's not that supression is bad or wrong.

        It is appropriate to a certain situation and
        a certain perception and understanding of that situation.

        Yet, meditation has no supression in it, and undoes
        supression when it is time.

        Contemplation as "being" is good enough,
        and certainly as truth is beyond naming.

        Peace to you, too,
        Dan