About Seeing "Bad" In a Guru's Comments or Actions

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 19, 2002
      On a few other lists, there is now a sort of revolt against Guru's.
      Here is something I posted on one of the lists:

      Sisters and Brothers, or as the Rasta's so well phrase it, "I and I
      and I":
      When we see something in the Guru's behavior that is "negative",
      perhaps they are serving their "Being a mirror" function very well,
      and pointing to something we also have within us. So, a "Thank You"
      would be in order.
      I want to add that the word "Guru" means "Bringer of light, remover
      of darkness". The Guru's being attacked on the other lists are being
      criticized for asking for polite respect on the one hand, and for
      being too blunt in their words on the other. No sexual abuse, no
      money seeking, nothing illegal. So, I feel perhaps it would be
      better to (once again citing the way a Rasta would say it),
      "overstand", and look within and rid our own self of what we have
      reacted to negatively in the actions of Enlightened ones. The
      darkness within us can only be removed by the light within us. Just
      as a mirror not only shows us our own reflection, the Guru's light
      also serves as a reflecting light and illuminates to us where we
      should be pointing our inner light to remove our darkness. Several of
      the Guru's also post here, and I take that as a great blessing. As a
      matter of fact the ones posting criticisms of them also have light to
      share and are most welcome here. My short cut to deciding what is
      "Good" is something that brings you peace. And something that takes
      your peace away is "Bad". But I'm not referring to short term peace
      or loss of peace, I mean eternal. For instance, it may cause some
      initial pain if a dentist removes an abscessed tooth, but in the long
      term, this will bring you peace, so the pulling is "Good". Similarly,
      sometimes the words of a Guru may sting your ego, but if it points
      you to ridding yourself of that which causes you to suffer, the words
      are "Good". So, thank you to the Guru's for bringing light, even if
      it may cause a little inner ego sunburn initially. I hope these words
      bring some light.