law of seven

  • texasbg2000
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2003
      I went ahead and googled this up.

      The law of Seven is a law of vibrations. Just as in modern physics,
      this ancient idea considers the world to consist of vibrations, and
      this is a general law to help understand this, for practice use.

      To increase the rate of vibrations of a material, we need to apply
      energy to it. E.g, to raise the temperature, you need to apply heat
      to a substance. In popular physics not much attention is given to the
      fact that the increase in the rate of vibrations is not always
      directy related to the rate of application of energy, i.e. applying
      energy at a constant rate does not always give a constant increase in
      the rate of vibrations. A very simple example is in heating water
      from ice to steam - there are two points, the point when the ice is
      at 0 degrees C, but not yet melted, and the point when the water is
      at 100 degrees C, but not yet steam. At these two points, one has to
      keep applying heat for a longer period of time for the temperature to
      rise.

      Now, the theory is that this pattern will occur for vibrations in any
      kind of material, and here we are talking about a wider category of
      material than physics usually deals with, for instance, one's own
      psychology.

      The points of slowing down in the rate of increase of the rate of
      vibrations are called intervals.

      Thus a process can be broken into three stages, that before the first
      interval, that between the first and second interval, and that after
      the second interval, just like the stages ice, water, steam.

      We go a step further in this theory, and break a process up into 7
      steps, or 8, with the last step in some way considered equivalent to
      the first. In Western music, there are 7 notes, DO, RE, ME, FA, SO,
      LA, SI, forming an octave. This terminology is used in the work to
      refer to any process taken from what would be called Do to Do, the
      start and the end.

      It is very useful to have an understanding of octaves, as activities
      will follow octaves.
      http://www.geocities.com/fourthway.geo/7law.html