spaces between Re: Sound Current: Discussion

  • Nina
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2003
      Hi, Bobby and Gene, thanks for the discussion. Sometimes, it seems
      that there is a connection available, but the bridge hasn't been
      found. This is the sense I am getting, "me to y'all".

      > If I listen carefully to the sound it becomes enterweaving
      > harmonies which just get better and bigger the longer it goes on
      > uninterrupted.

      While I know you are speaking of the sound current, something that
      this reminds me of is the resonance it is possible to key into when
      chanting Aum. One of the ways of doing this is by feeling/listening
      to the resonance of sound at the heart on A, the throat on U, and the
      center of the head on M. The frequency of sound increases as the
      location in the body/mouth moves up. Overlaid on the base tones of A,
      U, and M are numerous tones, which appear in resonance/harmony with
      the voiced tone. These tones come 'out of nowhere' - they are not
      produced by the voice, but they appear in reponse to the voice. The
      first overlaid tone is the most accessible, the second is less so,
      and so on. It is possible to climb the tones like a ladder.

      I am comparing the above and below, and wondering if there is a
      connection.

      > It is the spaces between the regular increments of increase that
      > require a shock or energy from the outside to progress or evolve to
      > go past that space. In other words we will progress or learn in
      > regular steps with little effort until there is an obstacle of some
      > kind. It is there that energy must be applied to continue.
      > Overcome the obstacle and it seems easy again until the
      > next "space". Understanding that allows one to expect the
      > unexpected in a more predictable way.

      Well, speaking of expecting the unexpected, and the spaces in-
      between, I will share with you a hilarious sound-related incident.
      John and I were driving home last weekend and noticed the hordes of
      nicely dressed people headed towards the Civic Center. Ah, we
      thought, it must be a symphony night. Sure enough, the symphony was
      listed on the Civic Center event board. So, we drive on into the
      parking garage, and I'm spaced-out day-dreaming. Suddenly, a tune
      pops into my head, and I start singing it w/ much gusto and flair.
      John says, what's that. I say, I don't know, but I think it has
      something to do with vikings. (Tee hee, it was a "car tune" - "bugs
      bunny" came to mind, also.) Pause. I say, Hey, I wonder if it's
      playing tonight at the symphony. John said, you're nuts (or something
      akin to that), but we still checked the symphony program online when
      we got home. Sure enough, Wagner's Flight of the Valkyries was on the
      docket. LOL!

      good evening to you all,
      Nina
    • texasbg2000
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2003
        <murrkis@y...> wrote:
        > Hi, Bobby and Gene, thanks for the discussion. Sometimes, it seems
        > that there is a connection available, but the bridge hasn't been
        > found. This is the sense I am getting, "me to y'all".

        Hi Nina;

        I am really shaky on my memory of Gurdjeiff so I am hoping Gene or
        Karta will correct me on my take of the steps or 'intervals' in
        progressions.

        > > If I listen carefully to the sound it becomes enterweaving
        > > harmonies which just get better and bigger the longer it goes on
        > > uninterrupted.
        >
        > While I know you are speaking of the sound current, something that
        > this reminds me of is the resonance it is possible to key into when
        > chanting Aum. One of the ways of doing this is by feeling/listening
        > to the resonance of sound at the heart on A, the throat on U, and
        the
        > center of the head on M. The frequency of sound increases as the
        > location in the body/mouth moves up. Overlaid on the base tones of
        A,
        > U, and M are numerous tones, which appear in resonance/harmony with
        > the voiced tone. These tones come 'out of nowhere' - they are not
        > produced by the voice, but they appear in reponse to the voice. The
        > first overlaid tone is the most accessible, the second is less so,
        > and so on. It is possible to climb the tones like a ladder.
        >
        > I am comparing the above and below, and wondering if there is a
        > connection.

        The sound I am referring to is heard beneath the audible sound of aum
        and its resonance. it never stops.

        Bobby G.

        > > It is the spaces between the regular increments of increase that
        > > require a shock or energy from the outside to progress or evolve
        > > go past that space. In other words we will progress or learn in
        > > regular steps with little effort until there is an obstacle of
        some
        > > kind. It is there that energy must be applied to continue.
        > > Overcome the obstacle and it seems easy again until the
        > > next "space". Understanding that allows one to expect the
        > > unexpected in a more predictable way.
        >
        > Well, speaking of expecting the unexpected, and the spaces in-
        > between, I will share with you a hilarious sound-related incident.
        > John and I were driving home last weekend and noticed the hordes of
        > nicely dressed people headed towards the Civic Center. Ah, we
        > thought, it must be a symphony night. Sure enough, the symphony was
        > listed on the Civic Center event board. So, we drive on into the
        > parking garage, and I'm spaced-out day-dreaming. Suddenly, a tune
        > pops into my head, and I start singing it w/ much gusto and flair.
        > John says, what's that. I say, I don't know, but I think it has
        > something to do with vikings. (Tee hee, it was a "car tune" - "bugs
        > bunny" came to mind, also.) Pause. I say, Hey, I wonder if it's
        > playing tonight at the symphony. John said, you're nuts (or
        something
        > akin to that), but we still checked the symphony program online
        when
        > we got home. Sure enough, Wagner's Flight of the Valkyries was on
        the
        > docket. LOL!
        >
        > good evening to you all,
        > Nina
      • Gene Poole
        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2003
          "texasbg2000" <Bigbobgraham@a...> wrote:
          , "Nina" <murrkis@y...> wrote:

          > > Hi, Bobby and Gene, thanks for the discussion. Sometimes, it seems
          > > that there is a connection available, but the bridge hasn't been
          > > found. This is the sense I am getting, "me to y'all".
          >

          > Hi Nina;
          >
          > I am really shaky on my memory of Gurdjeiff so I am hoping Gene or
          > Karta will correct me on my take of the steps or 'intervals' in
          > progressions.

          You seem to be doing well. Each step signifies
          multiplication of the previous frequency. It takes
          X 10 energy to move one step up, and so on. In
          other words, the scale is logarithmic.

          > > > If I listen carefully to the sound it becomes enterweaving
          > > > harmonies which just get better and bigger the longer it goes on
          > > > uninterrupted.

          Yes... that's it.

          It may be noticed that each tone is also made of
          many tones.

          > > While I know you are speaking of the sound current, something that
          > > this reminds me of is the resonance it is possible to key into when
          > > chanting Aum. One of the ways of doing this is by feeling/listening
          > > to the resonance of sound at the heart on A, the throat on U, and
          > the
          > > center of the head on M. The frequency of sound increases as the
          > > location in the body/mouth moves up. Overlaid on the base tones of
          > A,
          > > U, and M are numerous tones, which appear in resonance/harmony with
          > > the voiced tone. These tones come 'out of nowhere' - they are not
          > > produced by the voice, but they appear in reponse to the voice. The
          > > first overlaid tone is the most accessible, the second is less so,
          > > and so on. It is possible to climb the tones like a ladder.
          > >
          > > I am comparing the above and below, and wondering if there is a
          > > connection.

          > The sound I am referring to is heard beneath the audible sound of aum
          > and its resonance. it never stops.
          >
          > Bobby G.

          Right. It never stops.

          It is called by some, 'the comforter'.

          In every (musical) tonal scale, each 'up' note is simply
          a multiple of the preceeding note. It does not have to
          be a whole multiple; it can be a 1/4, 1/3, and so on.

          Interestingly, radio-frequency antennas are cut to
          specific length, based on the same principle.

          Anyway, Nina, I am not sure if you are really asking
          anything having to do with the sound current, but
          when we speak of sound, it is all relevant.

          'doh rae me fah so lah te doh', it can go forever up or down,
          repeated steps of transformation. To go up, requires
          more energy. Have you noticed that? In other words,
          the first 'doh' has less energy than the last 'doh'.

          Have you ever tried to sing the scale downward?

          The principle Bobby is carrying forward from my
          post, is that the transitions between tones, requires
          work, or if going down, contributes energy previously
          invested. Pretty esoteric stuff, eh?

          Probably the coolest thing you can do with your
          friends, is to sit or stand in a circle, close together,
          and everyone loudly produce exactly the same tone,
          persistently. No cheating or 'creative expressions'
          are allowed! This is done, by pronouncing (for
          example) 'E' as a constant tone... "EEEEEEEEEEEE..."

          This requires discipline and the ability to
          take something seriously!

          When that is under way, one person (the person with
          the best voice control) is assigned to very slowly
          move up in tone, not an entire harmonic, just slightly
          off from the others. This slow shift will eventually result
          in some pretty radical effects. Try it and see!

          The effect produced is called 'the beating of frequencies'
          and is the product of oscillating volumetric displacement
          of air, as the medium (air) cannot hold two identical
          things (tones) at the same time! Whooo-eee!

          If you get really good at this, you can actually cancel
          all of the sound being produced, even though you are
          still producing it! All that remains, is crackling silence!

          This is fun stuff!

          ==Gene Poole==

          If less is more,
          nothing is everything
        • Nina
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2003

            > Yes... that's it.
            >
            > It may be noticed that each tone is also made of
            > many tones.
            >
            > > > While I know you are speaking of the sound current, something
            > > > that this reminds me of is the resonance it is possible to key
            > > > into when chanting Aum. One of the ways of doing this is by
            > > > feeling/listening to the resonance of sound at the heart on A,
            > > > the throat on U, and the center of the head on M. The
            > > > frequency of sound increases as the location in the
            > > > body/mouth moves up. Overlaid on the base tones of
            > > > A, U, and M are numerous tones, which appear
            > > > in resonance/harmony with the voiced tone. These tones
            > > > come 'out of nowhere' - they are not produced by the
            > > > voice, but they appear in reponse to the voice. The
            > > > first overlaid tone is the most accessible, the second
            > > > is less so, and so on. It is possible to climb
            > > > the tones like a ladder.
            > > >
            > > > I am comparing the above and below, and wondering if there is a
            > > > connection.
            >
            > > The sound I am referring to is heard beneath the audible sound of
            > > aum and its resonance. it never stops.
            > >
            > > Bobby G.

            Yes, I understood that. That is why I said "While I know you are
            speaking of the sound current..."

            > Right. It never stops.
            >
            > It is called by some, 'the comforter'.
            >
            > In every (musical) tonal scale, each 'up' note is simply
            > a multiple of the preceeding note. It does not have to
            > be a whole multiple; it can be a 1/4, 1/3, and so on.
            >
            > Interestingly, radio-frequency antennas are cut to
            > specific length, based on the same principle.
            >
            > Anyway, Nina, I am not sure if you are really asking
            > anything having to do with the sound current, but
            > when we speak of sound, it is all relevant.

            No, I wasn't asking about the sound current.

            > 'doh rae me fah so lah te doh', it can go forever up or down,
            > repeated steps of transformation. To go up, requires
            > more energy. Have you noticed that? In other words,
            > the first 'doh' has less energy than the last 'doh'.
            >
            > Have you ever tried to sing the scale downward?
            >
            > The principle Bobby is carrying forward from my
            > post, is that the transitions between tones, requires
            > work, or if going down, contributes energy previously
            > invested. Pretty esoteric stuff, eh?
            >
            > Probably the coolest thing you can do with your
            > friends, is to sit or stand in a circle, close together,
            > and everyone loudly produce exactly the same tone,
            > persistently. No cheating or 'creative expressions'
            > are allowed! This is done, by pronouncing (for
            > example) 'E' as a constant tone... "EEEEEEEEEEEE..."
            >
            > This requires discipline and the ability to
            > take something seriously!
            >
            > When that is under way, one person (the person with
            > the best voice control) is assigned to very slowly
            > move up in tone, not an entire harmonic, just slightly
            > off from the others. This slow shift will eventually result
            > in some pretty radical effects. Try it and see!

            Yes.

            > The effect produced is called 'the beating of frequencies'
            > and is the product of oscillating volumetric displacement
            > of air, as the medium (air) cannot hold two identical
            > things (tones) at the same time! Whooo-eee!
            >
            > If you get really good at this, you can actually cancel
            > all of the sound being produced, even though you are
            > still producing it! All that remains, is crackling silence!
            >
            > This is fun stuff!

            I'll try that.

            It is also possible, if one is aware of how this works, to "go to"
            another's voice, move slightly away from it, wait, and watch as the
            other's voice "comes to" one's own voice. In this way, it is possible
            to "drag" another's voice up the scale.

            good day,
            Nina
          • texasbg2000
            Message 5 of 9 , May 2, 2003

              > > It may be noticed that each tone is also made of
              > > many tones.

              A,

              > > > The sound I am referring to is heard beneath the audible sound
              of
              > > > aum and its resonance. it never stops.
              > > >
              > > > Bobby G.
              >
              > Yes, I understood that. That is why I said "While I know you are
              > speaking of the sound current..."

              That is interesting Nina. I am sorry I missed that the first time;
              if there is a connection to the above and below. Probably so. I
              have wondered if the 'sound current' or divine sound is really just
              an auditory sensation of the electrico-magnetic field the body mind
              neurological system produces.

              Since it is constant it is a good focus. I meditated intensly on it
              for years though and it was the atma vichara 'Who am I' that worked
              better on me.

              Bobby G.
            • satkartar7
              Message 6 of 9 , May 4, 2003
                "texasbg2000" <Bigbobgraham@a...> wrote:

                > Since it is constant it is a good focus. I meditated intensly on it
                > for years though and it was the atma vichara 'Who am I' that worked
                > better on me.

                yes Bobby, I heard this.. all roads
                leads to Rome, they say

                Love, Karta