Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: ADD/ADHD: Hunter -VS- Farmer model/whomever

  • Jason Fishman
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 29, 2003
      > > > Now, if I am asked for counsel, all
      > > > I have to say is 'big picture' and
      > > > they are reminded of what they
      > > > have learned the hard way. They
      > > > are still learning to pay attention
      > > > to future consequences of their
      > > > present actions; these consequences
      > > > are seen, only when the 'big picture'
      > > > is considered.
      > >
      > > Very useful perspective.
      >
      > Indeed. Why is it not always employed?

      Jason: One can really never take into account future
      consequences or praises, not even knowing the big
      picture. I read an article today that a man had saved
      4 children in a school that was on fire. Yet to his
      dismay a local sheriff recognized him as a parrol
      violator and ushered him off to jail. Although this
      persons past crimes were not exposed, it certainly
      seems that if he was willing to risk his own life to
      save others, his crime was certainly not one that
      would envolve taking anothers life or for that matter
      endangering another with his knowledge. I would have
      to say, he should be released. There are far to many
      rules for a society that cannot ever follow the rules.

      > > > The 'hunter' way of Being favors
      > > > taking snapshots and then acting,
      > > > while the 'farmer' acts only after
      > > > plenty of contemplation.
      > > >
      > > > The 'farmer' knows that he will be
      > > > spending a lot of time in the same
      > > > place, while the 'hunter' knows that
      > > > he will be moving on, continually.
      >
      > > Somewhere in here though, i think there's still
      > room for the idea of
      > > dopamine addiction (at least in the
      > neurochemistry)as involved in
      > > tolerance of boring, repetitious tasks.
      >
      > I see no conflict between these viewpoints. I think
      > they are both useful and needed.
      >
      > The human is endowed with complex
      > sefl-reguatory systems, which can be
      > re-ordered as need arises. These can
      > also be (inadvertantly?) set to operate
      > to disadvantage. Levels of neurochemicals
      > can be readjusted by several means.
      >
      > So I think it is not a case of one or the
      > other, but rather, the existence of bias
      > of some sort... food allergies, cultural
      > impetus, perhaps even climatic factors.
      >
      > Given the 'adjustable' nature of the human,
      > what is the real problem? Why is this stuff
      > even an issue?
      >
      > As I have mentioned previously, people
      > are afraid to open the closet (there might
      > be a monster in there!) and so instead, pull
      > the blankies over the head, and go back to
      > sleep. So much less trouble that way.
      >
      > While awake (daytime ambulatory), they
      > cluster into groups which either advocate
      > opening closets, or mitigate against opening
      > closets. The latter group actually denies the
      > existence of closets, and by extension, closet-
      > monsters.
      >
      > Those who advocate opening closets
      > include those who have opened their
      > own closet, and who have caught a glimpse
      > of the monster therein. Such people are
      > renowned for their ability to sleep well;
      > this is because they are not threatened by
      > the noises from the closet.
      >
      > Because they sleep well, they are awake
      > and alert during the day, unlike the sleep-
      > walking, closet-denying, monster-fearing
      > crowd.
      >
      > One way to see meditation, is as deliberately
      > engineered closet-opening and monster-viewing.
      >

      > ==Gene Poole==
      >

      > A monster denied
      > is a monster created

      Jason: Thanks for exposing the monster! I would tend
      to say that a monster unknown is indeed no monster at
      all! With that, I'll leave you with the monster of the
      unknown, how frightfull it is indeed :)

      Peace and Love

      http://search.yahoo.com