Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: question: meditation suited to temper...

  • wrmspirit@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29 3:56 PM
      In a message dated 4/29/2003 4:31:12 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
      murrkis@... writes:

      > To add my own insight into the scheme of things, for several years I
      > taught architectural design at the Duke TIP Summer Programs. The
      > program is targeted towards what used to be called, don't know if it
      > still is, "gifted and talented youth". Duke TIP is a two way street.
      > The teens come and have a great time hanging out with other super-
      > exceptional teens and the program gets to take polls (when permitted
      > by parents) and do research. During my time there, I found I usually
      > had 2-3 students out of 16 with ADD or ADHD. It was very interesting
      > to observe the interactions and how these kids preferred / were able
      > to learn. Allow me to say, that when you're dealing with highly
      > intelligent kids, you have to be fast on your feet. When you're
      > dealing with highly intelligent kids who express ADD/ADHD, you have
      > to know when to be even faster on your feet. :) The issues with
      > repetition and frustration / boredom are quite real. I spent a lot of
      > time at the Duke TIP program learning about how to create situations
      > in which students could get into flow states (this is an actual
      > psychological term, Freyja, :), worth googling). Facilitating the
      > perfect pace and challenge for anyone is challenging, and even more
      > so with teenagers, and even more so with teens expressing ADD/ADHD.

      I enjoyed your email, Nina. In the initial observation of these children in
      their preschool age, what is of the most value for them is direct education
      of the teacher and parents, in the team approach. Once the teacher is aware
      of what is going on, and given some strategies in reference to the 'pace',
      the more natural blending of the classroom becomes much more apparent.

      I work with some terrific counselors in a great program, who approach this
      type of thing holistically...no one gets left out and the results are
      incredibly wonderfull much of the time when acceptance is seen in full force.

      Norma