Re: ADD/ADHD: Hunter -VS- Farmer model/Freyja

  • Gene Poole
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29, 2003
      freyjartist@a... wrote:

      Gene had written:

      > <<snip>>
      >
      > <<Now, if I am asked for counsel, all
      > I have to say is 'big picture' and
      > they are reminded of what they
      > have learned the hard way. They
      > are still learning to pay attention
      > to future consequences of their
      > present actions; these consequences
      > are seen, only when the 'big picture'
      > is considered.>>
      >
      > Hi Gene,
      >
      > Valuable advice. Thanks for your post.

      My pleasure.

      > What i also find valuable about Thom Hartmann is that he
      > provides specific, practical ways to identify
      > self-limiting beliefs about ADD, and helps to cultivate
      > open-ended visions of possibility.

      Yes. In the family of my posting, the father
      was literally a farmer, and the mother from
      a family of hunters. The dichotomy was
      astoundingly clear. The book brought peace.

      > I certainly had interesting and eye-opening experiences
      > "bucking the status quo" at the school for
      > 'learning and socially disabled' children
      > where i taught.
      >
      > A pervasive mind-set there was the message:
      > "You don't function well in mainstream society,
      > you are not "normal",
      > and that's why you are here."

      Mainstream society is the proverbial
      'cake in the rain', and ADHD kids
      intuitively know this.

      > OK, that might have been true, but
      > it didnt seem to me that there was enough of
      > of an empowerment attitude. Some teachers
      > were more positive than others, but many of the children
      > were considered "hopeless cases."

      In the big picture, we are all
      'hopeless cases'.

      > Almost every child there from 5-18 years old was
      > on some kind of medication like Ritalin or Adderall and many were
      > on anti-depressants.
      > I never heard any discussions about alternatives.

      Solidarity among parents is the dike
      against the rising tide of 'disorder'.

      > Drugs were strongly encouraged. I could see the
      > "masks" the drugs induced, the glazed over look in their eyes,
      > and i wondered,
      > Is this the best we can do?
      >
      > I would try to bring their attention to things like diet, breathing and
      > relaxation,
      > and different ways
      > of teaching, like Montessori methods......which are usually very beneficial
      > for ADD,
      > but they weren't very open to it. I wasnt taken very seriously. It seemed
      > that no one wanted to upset the apple cart. In addition, the school
      > was heavily involved with CHADD, an organization whose major funding
      > comes from Ciba Geigy, manufacturers of Ritalin. Need i say more?

      Heh heh... to bad that some of the more
      pleasureable drugs were not being used...

      > I set up my own classroom according to Montessori principles,
      > and spoke to the kids about nutrition on my own.

      Playing with fire again, eh Freyja?

      > I resisted being informed about the
      > children's "histories" through the eyes
      > of the administration....who had a
      > "these children are broken and need
      > to be fixed" mentality. At meetings,
      > i would listen with a big salt shaker nearby.
      >
      > Of course, i was up to date with any life threatening
      > conditions i needed to know about, but i stayed away
      > from the opinions and interpretations and labels.
      >
      > I tuned in to the core of each child, and interacted with that, without
      > thinking,
      > this child is hyperactive, socially inept, retarded or whatever.
      > Each child was a "sweet heart" to me, and i called them that often.
      > I transmitted to them that they were gifted and valuable, and never to
      > listen to
      > anyone who told them otherwise. I incorporated some art therapy activities
      > as well. Actually, i did successfully convince them to hire a professional
      > part-time art therapist.
      >
      > Together the children and i created beautiful art and art shows,
      > and we didn't care about social labels.

      Excellent approach...

      > Eventually, i did see the administration become more
      > conscientious about the types of snacks they were selling
      > to the kids at break time.
      >
      > Perhaps a seed was planted.
      >
      > peace, love and understanding,
      >
      > Freyja

      A really really good approach, is to have a
      meeting, which is set up to provide a setting
      in which the 'ADD kids' are asked to honestly
      diagnose and prescribe for the teachers and
      administration. Shocks, anyone?

      ==Gene Poole==

      Activity is relative to sleep