Flow

  • freyjartist@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29 6:45 AM
      <<I spent a lot of
      time at the Duke TIP program learning about how to create situations
      in which students could get into flow states (this is an actual
      psychological term, Freyja, :), worth googling).>>

      Yes, Nina, I've been wanting to read
      "Flow" by Mikaly<A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books%26field-author=Csikszentmihalyi%2C%20Mihaly/103-7466977-6535853">Csikszentmihalyi</A>
      for the longest time....but i might
      go for the updated one below, instead

      Finding Flow: The Psychology of Engagement With Everyday Life (Masterminds
      Series)
      by <A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books%26field-author=Csikszentmihalyi%2C%20Mihaly/103-7466977-6535853">Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi</A>

      Card catalog description
      Based on a far-reaching study of thousands of individuals, Finding Flow
      contends that we often walk through our days unaware and out of touch with
      our emotional lives. As a result of this inattention, we find ourselves
      constantly bouncing between two extremes: during much of the day we live
      inundated by the anxiety and pressures of our work and obligations, and
      during our leisure moments, we tend to live in passive boredom. Part
      psychological study and part self-help book, Finding Flow is a prescriptive
      guide that helps us reclaim ownership of our lives. The key, according to
      Csikszentmihalyi, is to challenge ourselves with tasks that require a high
      degree of skill and commitment. Instead of watching television, play the
      piano; transform a routine task with a different approach. In short, learn
      the joy of complete engagement. Though they appear simple on the surface, the
      lessons in Finding Flow are life-changing. By crystallizing these concepts -
      developed through a life's work and research at the University of Chicago -
      into clear guidelines, Csikszentmihalyi has crafted a profound and momentous
      work that provides readers with the tools they need to live richer, more
      vital lives. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of
      this title.

      From Library Journal
      While many self-help books purport to tell readers how to find happiness, few
      such titles can claim to be based on any scientifically valid, large-scale
      studies. One of the happy exceptions was University of Chicago psychologist
      Csikszentmihalyi's Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience (LJ 3/15/90).
      There the author published the results of studies using the Experience
      Sampling Method (ESM), in which he found that people were happiest when most
      absorbed in their actions, a state the author termed flow. The current book
      (part of Basic's series purporting to present "a crystallization of a
      lifetime's work and thought" by noted scholars) presents similar material,
      but with an emphasis slightly shifted toward practical applications of the
      ESM findings. Public librarians should check their shelves: if their copies
      of Flow are tattered or nonexistent, they should definitely buy this new
      title; if they have a decent copy of the older book, this is still a
      recommended purchase. Academic libraries need to have the author's more
      scholarly book but will find this popular with undergraduates.?Mary Ann
      Hughes, Neill P.L., Pullman, Wash.
      Copyright 1997 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to an out
      of print or unavailable edition of this title.

      The New York Times Book Review, Jacqueline Boone
      Csikszentmihalyi eloquently argues that living fully in the here and now
      requires that one heed the lessons of the past and acknowledge that today's
      most seemingly trivial acts inevitably have an impact on the future.