Re: question: meditation suited to temperment

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29, 2003
      "Nina" <murrkis@y...> wrote:
      > Have there been any studies done on matching meditation techniques to
      > temperment / existing awareness patterns?

      So, then the question arose: when teaching meditation
      > to children or adults, would it make sense to tailor the meditation
      > practice to the awareness strengths of the individual?
      > Nina

      Dear Nina,

      Here's one spin on this interesting question:

      We all have a predisposition to react either physically, emotionally,
      or intellectually. This makes us unbalanced, habitual, compulsive, and
      slave-like in our reactivity. A good Meditation teacher will be able
      to advise us how to recognize which of these characteristics is our
      most predominate and suggest ("prescribe") meditation techniques that
      help us gain control over our primary reactivity, and others that
      strengthen the other 2 aspects of our nature. The end result is being
      well balanced with Self knowledge and Self control. As an example,
      let's say that we are primarily reactive emotionally. Our meditative
      task would be to gain control over our emotional reactivity, and to
      strengthen our physical and intellectual awareness and reactions to
      the strength level of our emotions. This will leave us well balanced.
      So, for example, the emotionally reactive person, who is trying to get
      this reactivity under control, may do well to do meditation techniques
      that emphasize dispassion, while doing intellectual techniques like
      pondering the ancient formula of "I am not my body, I am not my mind,
      I am not my emotions", as well as doing physical awareness exercises
      such as the Zen tea ceremony. In some traditions, like the Sufi, or
      "4th way" of Gurdjieff, it is only the person who has achieved this
      balanced, Self controlled state who is able to act. Until that point
      is reached, the teaching is that we are merely in a robot-like dream
      state, and cannot "do" anything. And our life is just one reaction
      after another.

      Meditation is the methodology that shines the light of our inner
      Witness and wakes us up from our dream.

      I hope this has shed some light on a classic, ancient meditation "game
      plan", and will be of some benefit.