ADD/ADHD: Hunter -VS- Farmer model (link)

  • Gene Poole
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 28, 2003

      he will be moving on, continually.

      Those who understand that they
      will be 'here' for a long time, take
      care to make their situation as good
      as can be created. Nurturing and
      cultivation are learned and passed
      from parent to child.

      Those who assume that they well be
      'gone' in a short time, pay less attention
      to the impact they make, assuming
      that they will not be around to suffer the
      consequences of acts committed.

      Using this model, perhaps we can see
      how it is possible for an ADHD sufferer
      to find his 'destiny' in the act of suicide
      bombing.

      ~~~~~~

      After checking out the website above,
      perhaps you can tell if you are basically
      the 'hunter' or 'farmer' type.

      ==Gene Poole==
    • diana_53231
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 29, 2003
        <gene_poole@q...> wrote:
        > Greetings, ALL:

        Gene, this is a fantastic link. Thank you so much.

        > Now, if I am asked for counsel, all
        > I have to say is 'big picture' and
        > they are reminded of what they
        > have learned the hard way. They
        > are still learning to pay attention
        > to future consequences of their
        > present actions; these consequences
        > are seen, only when the 'big picture'
        > is considered.

        Very useful perspective.

        > The 'hunter' way of Being favors
        > taking snapshots and then acting,
        > while the 'farmer' acts only after
        > plenty of contemplation.
        >
        > The 'farmer' knows that he will be
        > spending a lot of time in the same
        > place, while the 'hunter' knows that
        > he will be moving on, continually.

        Somewhere in here though, i think there's still room for the idea of
        dopamine addiction (at least in the neurochemistry)as involved in
        tolerance of boring, repetitious tasks.
      • Gene Poole
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 29, 2003
          "diana_53231" <diana_53231@y...> wrote:
          "Gene Poole" > <gene_poole@q...> wrote:

          > > Greetings, ALL:
          > >

          > Gene, this is a fantastic link. Thank you so much.

          Most welcome.

          > > Now, if I am asked for counsel, all
          > > I have to say is 'big picture' and
          > > they are reminded of what they
          > > have learned the hard way. They
          > > are still learning to pay attention
          > > to future consequences of their
          > > present actions; these consequences
          > > are seen, only when the 'big picture'
          > > is considered.
          >
          > Very useful perspective.

          Indeed. Why is it not always employed?

          > > The 'hunter' way of Being favors
          > > taking snapshots and then acting,
          > > while the 'farmer' acts only after
          > > plenty of contemplation.
          > >
          > > The 'farmer' knows that he will be
          > > spending a lot of time in the same
          > > place, while the 'hunter' knows that
          > > he will be moving on, continually.

          > Somewhere in here though, i think there's still room for the idea of
          > dopamine addiction (at least in the neurochemistry)as involved in
          > tolerance of boring, repetitious tasks.

          I see no conflict between these viewpoints. I think
          they are both useful and needed.

          The human is endowed with complex
          sefl-reguatory systems, which can be
          re-ordered as need arises. These can
          also be (inadvertantly?) set to operate
          to disadvantage. Levels of neurochemicals
          can be readjusted by several means.

          So I think it is not a case of one or the
          other, but rather, the existence of bias
          of some sort... food allergies, cultural
          impetus, perhaps even climatic factors.

          Given the 'adjustable' nature of the human,
          what is the real problem? Why is this stuff
          even an issue?

          As I have mentioned previously, people
          are afraid to open the closet (there might
          be a monster in there!) and so instead, pull
          the blankies over the head, and go back to
          sleep. So much less trouble that way.

          While awake (daytime ambulatory), they
          cluster into groups which either advocate
          opening closets, or mitigate against opening
          closets. The latter group actually denies the
          existence of closets, and by extension, closet-
          monsters.

          Those who advocate opening closets
          include those who have opened their
          own closet, and who have caught a glimpse
          of the monster therein. Such people are
          renowned for their ability to sleep well;
          this is because they are not threatened by
          the noises from the closet.

          Because they sleep well, they are awake
          and alert during the day, unlike the sleep-
          walking, closet-denying, monster-fearing
          crowd.

          One way to see meditation, is as deliberately
          engineered closet-opening and monster-viewing.

          ==Gene Poole==

          A monster denied
          is a monster created
        • Jason Fishman
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 29, 2003
            > > > Now, if I am asked for counsel, all
            > > > I have to say is 'big picture' and
            > > > they are reminded of what they
            > > > have learned the hard way. They
            > > > are still learning to pay attention
            > > > to future consequences of their
            > > > present actions; these consequences
            > > > are seen, only when the 'big picture'
            > > > is considered.
            > >
            > > Very useful perspective.
            >
            > Indeed. Why is it not always employed?

            Jason: One can really never take into account future
            consequences or praises, not even knowing the big
            picture. I read an article today that a man had saved
            4 children in a school that was on fire. Yet to his
            dismay a local sheriff recognized him as a parrol
            violator and ushered him off to jail. Although this
            persons past crimes were not exposed, it certainly
            seems that if he was willing to risk his own life to
            save others, his crime was certainly not one that
            would envolve taking anothers life or for that matter
            endangering another with his knowledge. I would have
            to say, he should be released. There are far to many
            rules for a society that cannot ever follow the rules.

            > > > The 'hunter' way of Being favors
            > > > taking snapshots and then acting,
            > > > while the 'farmer' acts only after
            > > > plenty of contemplation.
            > > >
            > > > The 'farmer' knows that he will be
            > > > spending a lot of time in the same
            > > > place, while the 'hunter' knows that
            > > > he will be moving on, continually.
            >
            > > Somewhere in here though, i think there's still
            > room for the idea of
            > > dopamine addiction (at least in the
            > neurochemistry)as involved in
            > > tolerance of boring, repetitious tasks.
            >
            > I see no conflict between these viewpoints. I think
            > they are both useful and needed.
            >
            > The human is endowed with complex
            > sefl-reguatory systems, which can be
            > re-ordered as need arises. These can
            > also be (inadvertantly?) set to operate
            > to disadvantage. Levels of neurochemicals
            > can be readjusted by several means.
            >
            > So I think it is not a case of one or the
            > other, but rather, the existence of bias
            > of some sort... food allergies, cultural
            > impetus, perhaps even climatic factors.
            >
            > Given the 'adjustable' nature of the human,
            > what is the real problem? Why is this stuff
            > even an issue?
            >
            > As I have mentioned previously, people
            > are afraid to open the closet (there might
            > be a monster in there!) and so instead, pull
            > the blankies over the head, and go back to
            > sleep. So much less trouble that way.
            >
            > While awake (daytime ambulatory), they
            > cluster into groups which either advocate
            > opening closets, or mitigate against opening
            > closets. The latter group actually denies the
            > existence of closets, and by extension, closet-
            > monsters.
            >
            > Those who advocate opening closets
            > include those who have opened their
            > own closet, and who have caught a glimpse
            > of the monster therein. Such people are
            > renowned for their ability to sleep well;
            > this is because they are not threatened by
            > the noises from the closet.
            >
            > Because they sleep well, they are awake
            > and alert during the day, unlike the sleep-
            > walking, closet-denying, monster-fearing
            > crowd.
            >
            > One way to see meditation, is as deliberately
            > engineered closet-opening and monster-viewing.
            >

            > ==Gene Poole==
            >

            > A monster denied
            > is a monster created

            Jason: Thanks for exposing the monster! I would tend
            to say that a monster unknown is indeed no monster at
            all! With that, I'll leave you with the monster of the
            unknown, how frightfull it is indeed :)

            Peace and Love

            http://search.yahoo.com