Re: [Meditation Society of America] question: meditation suited to temperment

  • Jason Fishman
    Message 1 of 37 , Apr 28, 2003
      --- wrmspirit@... wrote:
      > Daylight Time,
      > murrkis@... writes:
      >

      > > For instance, a person tending more towards
      > fixation as an awareness
      > > pattern might be best suited to beginning
      > meditation with a
      > > concentration bent, such as focusing on a candle.
      > A person tending
      > > more towards a global awareness pattern might be
      > guided to meditate
      > > on 'hearing all sounds at once'. A person who is
      > 'all over the map'
      > > might be guided to watch the procession of
      > mapping.
      > >
      > > Nina
      >
      > As meditation becomes focused on conditions such as
      > ADHD/ADD it is necessary
      > to perform it with understanding. For the child
      > with aggravated
      > hyperactivity, one of the greatest additions to this
      > child's life is the
      > encouragement of exercise, and frequently so.

      Jason: Nope. Every child I have ever experienced with
      having hyperactivity is a clutz and has little, if any
      drive to be athletic. They are so busy burning up
      energy doing nothing organized. I played sports as a
      child, many sports, for short durations, none of which
      I completely got great at. These days I have little
      interest in watching many sports. Something worthy to
      note though, I do enjoy basebal the best as far as
      sports watching goes and it's the least active one out
      there!

      > These children do well in
      > group sports using gross motor skills. Along with
      > many sports, karate and
      > yoga are appropriate for encouraging focus while in
      > motion and is exactly
      > what may be needed.

      Jason: This is also a nopers! Most (not all granted)
      children with hyperactive personalities don't enjoy
      being around people much. They find them quite
      frustrating and/or slow. They need someone to keep up,
      yet the ones that can keep up are to busy keeping up
      with themselves to notice. They do like people that
      are slow, but not for long periods, meditation helps
      here too.

      > Frustration is high on the list for individuals
      > experiencing this, and so,
      > all forms of meditative practice must be done so
      > without emphasis on expected
      > outcomes. There is a condition called "zen
      > illness," which can occur when
      > straining too tightly to reach a specified state
      > which can cause an increase
      > in mental anxiety.

      Jason: Now this one sounds better, increased
      frustration! Much meditation does wonders, sitting,
      stilling, quite time. Much like nina was speaking of
      training her greyhounds only inverted. Instead of
      running free, the hyperchild actually enjoys the peace
      and quite.

      > Speaking again of children with this condition, many
      > experience learning
      > delays in combination with the inability to focus
      > and concentrate, and should
      > be assessed in finding where their strength in
      > learning is.

      Jason: Ahh, the special needs teaching. Most children
      that are hyperactive have a great ability to learn,
      it's the follow-through, when repeating comes into
      play. Practice doesn't make perfect for these kids.
      They often become "jacks-of-all" and masters of maybe
      one or sometimes two.

      Some favor
      > auditory learning while others do best with visual.
      > This, too, must be taken
      > in consideration which becomes inclusive of music
      > and sounds. Children do
      > well with playing a musical instrument which also
      > encourages a strengthening
      > in focus and concentration skills.

      Jason: Sounds pretty true for all folks! Some like
      sounds, some tend to enjoy visual stuff, etc... I have
      to say though, hyperactive kids like change, they play
      a sport for a few months then get bored, the sport
      never changes! They read a book for awhile, but the
      story must really capture them for them to complete
      it. Music is what these kids like immensely, change in
      pitch, rythym, chords etc. They can be great
      composers, but never really become perfect players,
      they don't care to practice, to repeatative! I do have
      to say, boring isn't in the vocabulary to often for a
      hyperactive child, yet by the time they become adults,
      look out 'cause their bored and looking for something
      new to do!

      Just to touch on the addiction to dopomene that "most"
      folks have... The hyperactive child could be said to
      have an addiction to it's opposite chemical,
      adrenaline (or whatever they're calling it)endorphins
      maybe?. Oh well, no ones perfect eh? Meditation helps
      here too.

      > Norma

      Peace and Love

      http://search.yahoo.com
    • satkartar7
      Message 37 of 37 , May 1, 2003
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "judirhodes" <judirhodes@z...> wrote:
        > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, wrmspirit@a...
        > wrote:
        > > In a message dated 4/30/2003 7:30:31 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
        > > judirhodes@z... writes:
        > >

        > > > ********** I might have some good news for you Norma, depending
        > on
        > > > where you live of course, but 18 is the legal age in this country
        > > > when you can kick them out of the house! :-)
        > > >
        > > > Sheesh! :-)
        > > >
        > > > Judi
        > >
        > > <gg>..No one to boot from over here.....but on a day to day basis,
        > that's
        > > excellent advice, in general, and I have no doubt more teens are
        > aware of the
        > > legality of that specific age, than are parents.
        > >
        > > From a broader picture all things come and go in accord with
        > motion, both
        > > actively and passively, no matter how much importance is placed
        > upon
        > > 'assuming' the role of facilitator. With that out of the way it is
        > nice to
        > > know that what is free to visit, is also free to leave.
        > >

        > > Norma
        > >

        > ****** OK, whatever you say Norma. :-) You don't mind if I start
        > calling you "Wordsalad Norma" do you?

        what a day! The Jiving Reverend
        names normal people

        > Seriously, do you ever listen
        > to the shit that comes out of your mouth? :-)

        get that "mirror" HighCow up and
        watch the shit flow from your mouth

        Karta