Re: [Meditation Society of America] question: meditation suited to temperment

  • wrmspirit@aol.com
    Message 1 of 37 , Apr 28, 2003
      In a message dated 4/28/2003 2:48:01 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
      murrkis@... writes:

      > For instance, a person tending more towards fixation as an awareness
      > pattern might be best suited to beginning meditation with a
      > concentration bent, such as focusing on a candle. A person tending
      > more towards a global awareness pattern might be guided to meditate
      > on 'hearing all sounds at once'. A person who is 'all over the map'
      > might be guided to watch the procession of mapping.
      >
      > Nina

      As meditation becomes focused on conditions such as ADHD/ADD it is necessary
      to perform it with understanding. For the child with aggravated
      hyperactivity, one of the greatest additions to this child's life is the
      encouragement of exercise, and frequently so. These children do well in
      group sports using gross motor skills. Along with many sports, karate and
      yoga are appropriate for encouraging focus while in motion and is exactly
      what may be needed.

      Frustration is high on the list for individuals experiencing this, and so,
      all forms of meditative practice must be done so without emphasis on expected
      outcomes. There is a condition called "zen illness," which can occur when
      straining too tightly to reach a specified state which can cause an increase
      in mental anxiety.

      Speaking again of children with this condition, many experience learning
      delays in combination with the inability to focus and concentrate, and should
      be assessed in finding where their strength in learning is. Some favor
      auditory learning while others do best with visual. This, too, must be taken
      in consideration which becomes inclusive of music and sounds. Children do
      well with playing a musical instrument which also encourages a strengthening
      in focus and concentration skills.

      Norma

    • satkartar7
      Message 37 of 37 , May 1, 2003
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "judirhodes" <judirhodes@z...> wrote:
        > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, wrmspirit@a...
        > wrote:
        > > In a message dated 4/30/2003 7:30:31 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
        > > judirhodes@z... writes:
        > >

        > > > ********** I might have some good news for you Norma, depending
        > on
        > > > where you live of course, but 18 is the legal age in this country
        > > > when you can kick them out of the house! :-)
        > > >
        > > > Sheesh! :-)
        > > >
        > > > Judi
        > >
        > > <gg>..No one to boot from over here.....but on a day to day basis,
        > that's
        > > excellent advice, in general, and I have no doubt more teens are
        > aware of the
        > > legality of that specific age, than are parents.
        > >
        > > From a broader picture all things come and go in accord with
        > motion, both
        > > actively and passively, no matter how much importance is placed
        > upon
        > > 'assuming' the role of facilitator. With that out of the way it is
        > nice to
        > > know that what is free to visit, is also free to leave.
        > >

        > > Norma
        > >

        > ****** OK, whatever you say Norma. :-) You don't mind if I start
        > calling you "Wordsalad Norma" do you?

        what a day! The Jiving Reverend
        names normal people

        > Seriously, do you ever listen
        > to the shit that comes out of your mouth? :-)

        get that "mirror" HighCow up and
        watch the shit flow from your mouth

        Karta