question: meditation suited to temperment

  • Nina
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 28 2:44 PM
      Have there been any studies done on matching meditation techniques to
      temperment / existing awareness patterns?

      Diana and I were chatting about studies that have documented
      differences in male/female awareness patterns, specifically
      documenting a 'global awareness pattern' in girls. (D, correct me if
      I'm off base.) So, then the question arose: when teaching meditation
      to children or adults, would it make sense to tailor the meditation
      practice to the awareness strengths of the individual?

      For instance, a person tending more towards fixation as an awareness
      pattern might be best suited to beginning meditation with a
      concentration bent, such as focusing on a candle. A person tending
      more towards a global awareness pattern might be guided to meditate
      on 'hearing all sounds at once'. A person who is 'all over the map'
      might be guided to watch the procession of mapping.

      Nina
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 29 3:45 AM
        "Nina" <murrkis@y...> wrote:
        > Have there been any studies done on matching meditation techniques to
        > temperment / existing awareness patterns?

        snip

        So, then the question arose: when teaching meditation
        > to children or adults, would it make sense to tailor the meditation
        > practice to the awareness strengths of the individual?

        snip
        > Nina

        Dear Nina,

        Here's one spin on this interesting question:

        We all have a predisposition to react either physically, emotionally,
        or intellectually. This makes us unbalanced, habitual, compulsive, and
        slave-like in our reactivity. A good Meditation teacher will be able
        to advise us how to recognize which of these characteristics is our
        most predominate and suggest ("prescribe") meditation techniques that
        help us gain control over our primary reactivity, and others that
        strengthen the other 2 aspects of our nature. The end result is being
        well balanced with Self knowledge and Self control. As an example,
        let's say that we are primarily reactive emotionally. Our meditative
        task would be to gain control over our emotional reactivity, and to
        strengthen our physical and intellectual awareness and reactions to
        the strength level of our emotions. This will leave us well balanced.
        So, for example, the emotionally reactive person, who is trying to get
        this reactivity under control, may do well to do meditation techniques
        that emphasize dispassion, while doing intellectual techniques like
        pondering the ancient formula of "I am not my body, I am not my mind,
        I am not my emotions", as well as doing physical awareness exercises
        such as the Zen tea ceremony. In some traditions, like the Sufi, or
        "4th way" of Gurdjieff, it is only the person who has achieved this
        balanced, Self controlled state who is able to act. Until that point
        is reached, the teaching is that we are merely in a robot-like dream
        state, and cannot "do" anything. And our life is just one reaction
        after another.

        Meditation is the methodology that shines the light of our inner
        Witness and wakes us up from our dream.

        I hope this has shed some light on a classic, ancient meditation "game
        plan", and will be of some benefit.