Re: ADHD question

  • Rob Sacks
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2003
      Bob,

      > I am an adult who has been diagnosed with adult ADHD (attention
      > deficient hyperactivity disorder) and I've read that certain types of
      > meditation have been used to increase brain activity in the frontal
      > lobe. This is the area that neural activity is stimulated by the use
      > of drugs such as Ritalin. Unfortunatley I don't believe in drugs, so I
      > want an alternative. Hopefully you know of any type of meditation
      > that specifically targets this area of the brain.

      Everything this person wants can be satisfied with neurofeedback.
      This is a kind of biofeedback in which the person watches his
      or her own EEG display on a computer screen while meditating
      (actually, no conscious effort to meditate is even required.) The
      electrodes can be attached near the frontal lobes or in any other
      desired location.

      Clinical neurofeedback practioners have a good track record
      at "treating" ADHD (actually what they really do is "teach" the
      brain not to behave that way chronically). In fact, ADHD
      treatment is their bread and butter.

      It's also possible to buy an cheap EEG machine and
      neurofeedback software and do the whole thing at home
      without involving a professional clinician.

      The person who wrote to you can probably find plenty of
      information simply by typing "neurofeedback ADHD" into
      Google. If not, feel free to forward my email address and
      I'll talk to that person privately. (I know a bit about neurofeedback
      and the neurofeedback industry because I've written software for
      it.)

      Best regards,

      Rob