E-Mail Question re: ADHD

  • freyjartist@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27 9:02 AM
      <<Hi,

      I am an adult who has been diagnosed with adult ADHD (attention
      deficient hyperactivity disorder) and I've read that certain types of
      meditation have been used to increase brain activity in the frontal
      lobe. This is the area that neural activity is stimulated by the use
      of drugs such as Ritalin. Unfortunatley I don't believe in drugs, so I
      want an alternative. Hopefully you know of any type of meditation
      that specifically targets this area of the brain.

      If you know of a link or a book etc that would help me I'd greatly
      appreciate it.

      Thanks,

      Hi B,

      I am a licensed massage therapist who uses breathing
      relaxation and stretching with clients, to help facilitate
      their inner work, working in tandem with the physical.....the techniques
      were also useful in my job of teaching
      art to children with ADD and learning and social challenges.

      In my mind, the foundation that would come before any
      techniques and exercises is to have a paradigm shift
      (if you havent already) and discover purpose. That is,
      to view the ADD as an ASSET, not a liability.

      Diana posted the link to a good source discussing this.

      Another book is "Indigo Children" (dont have author name handy)

      also, the books by Elaine Aron about The Highly Sensitive Person
      (which many ADHD people are).

      I can recommend checking out someone named
      Thom Hartmann. He is tha uthor of "Attention Deficit Disorder":
      A Different Perception" and "Healing ADD: Simple Exercises
      that will Change your Daily Life".

      I would highly recommend that you incorporate daily movement
      into your life, if you havent already. Walking and yoga are really
      good.

      Also, just stretching your neck: look right, look left
      right ear to shoulder, left ear to shoulder

      Explore the uses of music. Baroque music is said to help with
      focusing and integrating left/right brain.

      Breathing:

      I like to first fully empty my lungs, then breathe in, through the throat, to
      the count of
      six, biggest breath of the day, one more sip of air, then expel the air to
      the count
      of six, audibly saying "Ahhhhhh". You can do this several times.

      MIND BODY RELAXATION

      1. Sitting in a chair with your spine straight and feet firmly
      planted on ground, pull up from the crown of your head
      to straighten the spine, and relax your whole back and shoulders.

      2. Relax the tension in your face, especially the jaw.
      Let your jaw drop open and hang slackly. Then check out
      your neck and wiggle the tension out of it by rotating your head
      from side to side and up and down

      3. Take a big breath and let your shoulders drop as you
      exhale. Keep pulling up from the head with a straight spine
      as your drop your shoulders, and don't let yourself slouch. Do this
      at least two or three times.

      4. Relax the throat and chest area by taking a big breath
      and sighing on the exhale. Repeat this two or three times.

      5. Make sure your legs are uncrossed. Plant your feet firmly
      on the floor, reshuffling your bottom in the chair to help
      your lower back area hold your weight in a balanced and relaxed
      position.

      6. Check out your whole body and see if you are holding tension
      anywhere else. Release it. Check one more time.

      EYE RELAXATION (Palming)

      This can be used before any physical or mental activity
      in which you want to perform more adequately. it seems
      to relax all the sensory nerves, including sight, and rids you
      of mental and physical strain. The eyes can see better for
      longer periods of time and can maintain a more relaxed state.

      1. Take off any glasses or obstructions around the eyes.

      2. Check out your body posture and relax as described above,
      with a straight spine and neck. If you need to bend forward, do so,
      with the whole upper torso, rather than the neck. Dropping your
      head forward at the neck tends to rigidify your body.

      3. Rest your elbows on the desk or tabletop surface in front of you.
      If this is not possible, rest your elbows near the waist area.

      4. Rub your hands together until they are warm.

      5. Cup the palms of your hands and place one over each
      eye, heel of palm on cheekbones, fingers crossed over the
      forehead. Make sure that you are not pressing on the eyeballs
      directly.

      6. Close your eyes lightly. Think of the area behind your eyeballs
      and feel it relax. Breathe deeply, let your jaw drop a bit, let your
      shoulders
      drop and relax again. Then go back to the spot behind the eyeball
      and relax it again......and more......and more.

      7. Open your eyes slowly and try to maintain this relaxed state
      during your activities.

      Don't forget to have fun!

      cheers,

      Freyja