"Real" Meditation

  • Judi Rhodes
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 27, 2003
      Da Free John:

      "Real" mediation does not do anything for you. It has no purpose. When one begins some form of seeking, one immediately turns to an effective, remedial technique that will get one quickly to one's goal. Thus, when one adapts to various kinds of religious and spiritual effort, one begins almost immediately to meditate in some fashion. The Christian and the devotee begin to pray and adapt to relgious forms. The spiritual seeker begins to concentrate and internalize the mind. Others use drugs, study, critical thought, relaxation and poetry, pleasure and so forth.

      But real ife, the way of radical understanding, is not another form of seeking. For one who understands, meditation is not adopted for the sake of something else. Such a one does not pursue understanding or reality or any kind of experience through meditation. "Real" meditation is already a radical activity. It "is" understanding.

      In the logic of Narcissus, the separative mentality, all things are seeking. But one who understands perceives the logic of reality and lives on the basis of that logic. Therefore, such a one is not strategically concerned about meditation. The business of one who understands is understanding, not ascent, vision, transformation, liberation, or any other goal. Understanding recognizes the fruitlessness of seeking.

      "Real" meditation cannot be done by egoic effort, or strategy. Therefore. "real" meditation cannot, itself, be recommended, or prescribed. There is only understanding. Therefore, understand. And when the process of understanding has become self-observation, reflection, and radical insight, then the state of conscious awareness "is" real meditation. When understanding has become a radical process, and the avoidance of relationship has been inclusively and sufficiently recognized, when you have understood that seeking is all a function of dilemma and when you are no longer moved to seek by the physical, the mental, or the spiritual problem, then you are already and really meditating.

      The usual meditation is only a consolation, an effect, and a good feeling. It provides no radical reversal of ordinary consciousness, and thus, when situations arise out of meditation, the person has no control over the process of identification, differentiation, and desire.

      Only radical understanding avails. It is the intelligence of reality itself. It is not attached to some body or some conditional realm, or some conditional experience that is seen as the alternative, remedy, cure, and source of victory. It knows that every motive and action is made of avoidance. Thus, it has no recourse except to understand.

      Understanding arises when there are true listening to my word and true self-observation in relationship. Therefore, observe yourself in life. Observe yourself when you seek. Observe yourself when you suffer to any degree. Observe your motives. Observe the activity of identification. Observe the activity of differentiation. Observe the activity of desire. Observe the patterns of your existence.

      When you see that you are always seeking, understanding is emerging. When you see the pattern of Narcissus as all your motives, all your acts, all your seeking, understanding is emerging. When you see you are always suffering, understanding is emerging. When you see that every moment is a process in dilemma, understanding is emerging. When you see that every moment is a process of identification, differentiation, and desire, understanding is emerging. When you see that every moment, when you are at your best as well as when you are at your worst, you are only avoiding relationship, then you understand.

      Understanding is the recognition of seeking as the active principle of one's life. It recognizes the effects of seeking, its qualities and sources, the areas of its operation and the methods of its functioning. It sees that seeking is the substance and the entire meaning of every moment of one's ordinary life.

      But radical understanding, since it is radically aware of seeking, is not seeking. Radical understanding is prior to and apart from every kind of seeking and the entire drama or ordinary life. Therefore, it not only sees all life as seeking, but Enjoys itself as fundamental reality, prior to all seeking. It realizes no seeking, non-avoidance, non-separation, unqualified relatedness, and unqualified consciousness.

      Happy Days,
      Judi

      http://www.users.uniserve.com/~samuel/judi-1.htm

    • G
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 27, 2003
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Judi
        Rhodes" <judirhodes@z...> wrote:
> [...]
        when you are at your worst, you are only avoiding relationship,
        then you understand.

        > Understanding is the recognition of seeking as the active
        principle of one's life. It recognizes the effects of seeking, its
        qualities and sources, the areas of its operation and the
        methods of its functioning. It sees that seeking is the substance
        and the entire meaning of every moment of one's ordinary life.

        > But radical understanding, since it is radically aware of
        seeking, is not seeking. Radical understanding is prior to and
        apart from every kind of seeking and the entire drama or ordinary
        life. Therefore, it not only sees all life as seeking, but Enjoys
        itself as fundamental reality, prior to all seeking. It realizes no
        seeking, non-avoidance, non-separation, unqualified
        relatedness, and unqualified consciousness.

        G: like i said before and say again Meditation is the way out.....
        the way out is through.......
        you have always attempted to lump whatever is said as a
        way to create some false state...... i have never promoted
        that type of meditation..... i don't advocate affirmations or
        self help courses.......
        the meditation i give is just this ...... one that brings you
        into direct cognition of what is going on in your life Now......
        and to allow you space to confront the illusions........

        so once again you have been attacking something which
        you yourself promote........ Real Meditation......

        try seeing what is really being said, rather than what you
        think is being said....... this radical understanding is also
        simply a step along the way to Realization...... there is yet
        a further step........ seeing through the bogus life holdings
        brings relief and frees one to then delve even deeper into
        what held it in place and created the dynamic in the first
        place and that is the "I" identity itself..... this is the last
        confrontation and surrender when it blows out it is over.........