"The snake gobbles it's own tail"

  • Melody
    Message 1 of 48 , Apr 26, 2003
      Hello everyone....

      Some weeks back, Bob made a request
      that focus of this list be allowed to return
      to that of meditation. Not seeing myself
      as one who had anything to contribute
      concerning meditative techniques; and
      not particularly inclined to learn new ones,

      I respected his request and left the list.

      Just the other day, in sharing with another
      list about where 'melody' was 'at'
      these days, I spoke about how....after years
      of introspection.....of examining closely this
      sense of 'me-ness'.......how, all of a sudden,
      something just 'clicked'. All of a sudden I
      saw that all these 'meditative' practices, all
      this work of 'looking deeply' at things,

      the work of maintaining 'witness'

      and seeing thru 'obstructions'....

      was indeed all a function of identified thought.

      It was this 'me-ness' looking at my 'me-ness'....

      yes, trying to improve upon it, clear it, dissolve it.

      Now, in retrospect, I can recall people saying
      this a hundred times a day on these lists. But
      their saying so didn't have any impact. My
      inclination was strong to continue to follow my
      'practice', and I so I did.

      And then I saw....as if I had never once
      heard anyone say......

      that this practice of dissolving 'me', does at
      the same time reinforce the sense of 'me'.

      At that moment, it struck me as if I had
      just discovered something 'new'.

      To this, Sandeep responded:

      >Absolutely.
      >The "me-investigation" is done by the "me".
      >Till..........
      >The snake gobbles it's own tail.

      Now ...the inclination has arisen to share this
      here, in the context of the discussion as
      to the efficacy of meditation practices.

      "Till.......
      The snake gobbles it's own tail."

      I finally understand what that means.
      Never ever made sense before.

      The 'me' meditates......eats of itself....
      until that moment when it SEES that
      it is, indeed, eating its own tail.

      And then.........

      But that SEEING can come only
      thru direct insight, and not from
      someone's insistence on an email list.

      And a practice of meditation....whatever
      that practice may be.....can certainly
      lend itself to that SEEING.
    • judirhodes
      Message 48 of 48 , Apr 28, 2003
        <Bigbobgraham@a...> wrote:
        > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "judirhodes"
        > <judirhodes@z...> wrote:
        > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Gene Poole"
        > > <gene_poole@q...> wrote:
        > > > > >

        > > > Have you seen/heard of the special nontoxic flea
        > > > traps, which use a small light bulb and a sticky
        > > > sheet? They work well. You will need one in every
        > > > room, let them run day and night.
        > > >
        > > ***** Another trick that seems to work is turning loose about 100
        > or
        > > so little frogs in the house. Depending of course on the size of
        > your
        > > house, you might have to up that to somewhere near about 500,
        give
        > or
        > > take.
        > >
        > > :-)
        >
        > Thanks, the croaking at night could be very soothing also. I could
        > open a house of critters. ;p)

        *******
        Intersting, I find that being around folks that are into
        being "soothed" very off-putting and nerve-wracking to be around.

        Food for thought.

        Judi