Journal Entry

  • eveneon
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 6, 2002
      Date: July 6, 2002
      Time: 8:00am
      Duration: 35 minutes open
      Technique: Body and breath awareness
      Position: Sitting in chair, eyes closed, index finger touching thumb,
      palms up

      Today my concentration seemed to be stronger at the beginning of my
      session rather than the end. Mind chatter was moderate. I had a few
      ideas come to me for projects I have been working on. I was able to
      let them go and trust that I would remember them after my meditation
      (which I did). Although I wasn't thinking about these ideas that had
      come to me, I guess the excitement of this kicked up the mind
      chatter. It was a little harder to concentrate after this happened. I
      felt relaxed and calm at the end of my session. Only noticed mild
      back pain a couple times.
    • eveneon
      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 8, 2002
        Date: July 8, 2002
        Time: 8:30am
        Duration: 15 minutes
        Position: Sitting in chair, eyes closed, palms up, index finger
        touching thumb
        Technique: Body and breath awareness

        Very hard to concentrate today. Could not stay focused. I'm not sure
        why, but I was finding it difficult to breathe today. It was like my
        lungs were never quite full of air, and a few times I had to open my
        mouth to draw in as much air as I could. I don't have a stuffy nose
        so I'm not sure what that is all about. About 10 minutes into my
        session I noticed my back pain, which gradually grew worse. I
        unconsciously came out of my session after fifteen minutes. Decided
        not to try and continue.
        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 8, 2002
          eveneon <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > Very hard to concentrate today. Could not stay focused. I'm not
          sure why, but I was finding it difficult to breathe today. It was like
          my lungs were never quite full of air, and a few times I had to open
          my mouth to draw in as much air as I could. I don't have a stuffy
          nose so I'm not sure what that is all about. About 10 minutes into my
          session I noticed my back pain, which gradually grew worse. I
          unconsciously came out of my session after fifteen minutes. Decided
          not to try and continue.
          Comment: Dear Eve, Have you heard that we are experiencing an air
          quality problem in our area (N.E. America)? This is caused by what
          must be an enormous fire in Ontario, Canada. Bette, who has asthma,
          had trouble this morning just walking the 30 or so feet to her car.
          As you know, I usually feel that "failed" meditation sessions have
          the best potential to learn from, but in this case, I can't even
          recommend taking a deep breath and calming down. You'd probably pass
          out. BTW, have you tried any healing techniques for your back
          problems?
        • eveneon
          Message 4 of 28 , Jul 8, 2002
            Hi Bob. I did hear about the fires but didn't think that it could
            effect me. However, after watching the news this morning I realised
            that it could be a problem when they said that there was a smoke
            advisory today. It's pretty wild that a fire so far away could effect
            us down here.
            I have not done any healing techniques for my back. I guess I figured
            that since the pain comes and goes and I don't always have it, that
            it would just eventually stop on it's own. I am open to trying
            something though. I might be nice to have something to shift my
            meditation to when my back pain kicks in. Can you recommend something
            to try?
            Thanks,
            Eve

            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 8, 2002
              Eve wrote:
              > I have not done any healing techniques for my back. I guess I
              figured that since the pain comes and goes and I don't always have
              it, that it would just eventually stop on it's own. I am open to
              trying something though. It might be nice to have something to shift
              my meditation to when my back pain kicks in. Can you recommend
              something to try?
              Thanks, Eve
              Dear Eve,
              At one time, my first impulse would have been to say "Baily's Irish
              Cream", but that's just the eternal teen-ager in me looking for
              acceptance through being funny. Now, all grown up (or down, depending
              on your viewpoint), I'm going to suggest checking out the healing
              techniques on our site http://www.meditationsociety.com/week29.html
              BTW, this is the 2nd time in 24 hours I've suggested this, so I
              expect doing it again very soon - or is this just an example of
              holding on to folk lore and treating it as truth. Nah, not in this
              case. Everybody knows that it's scientific fact that things happen in
              3's. Oops - there goes that teenager again. Seriously, I hope that
              you have learned all you need to from the back pain, and that one of
              the methods discussed on the site, or something else, helps effect a
              complete relief of your discomfort. After all, the Eagles training
              camp opens in 18 days, and we all need to give football our complete
              attention thereafter. Hey - how about that. The teenager came out 3
              times. Yep - scientific proof if I ever saw it!
            • eveneon
              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 9, 2002
                Thanks Bob. I checked out the healing meditaions and will try them
                next time my back pain kicks in. Interestly, I had no back pain today.
                Eve

                Message 7 of 28 , Jul 9, 2002
                  Date: July 9, 2002
                  Time: 8:20am
                  Duration: 45minutes (open)
                  Position: Sitting in chair, eyes closed, palms facing up resting on
                  knees
                  Technique: Body and breath awareness

                  Very good concentration today. I was able to stay focused almost
                  continuously. I really had no back pain today except for a moment or
                  two of noticing a mild discomfort, which quickly passed. But I did
                  however also notice some mild discomfort in my jaw. Not enough to
                  distract me. Today's session seemed to have a different quality to
                  it, but I don't think I can describe it. I can only say it seemed to
                  be more of a watching or "witnessing" of my thoughts. I meditated in
                  a different room and facing a different direction. I don't know if
                  this had an influence or not. Possible I suppose. Longer than normal
                  session today. Very calm and relaxed afterward.
                • eveneon
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jul 10, 2002
                    Date: July 10, 2002
                    Time: 8:20am
                    Duration: 40 minutes (open)
                    Position: Sitting in chair, eyes closed, palms on knees facing up
                    Technique: Body and breath awareness

                    Not much to say about today's session other than it was similar to
                    yesterdays. My concentration was not quite as strong, but still good.
                    Seemed to be weaker towards the end. No back or body pain of any kind
                    today.

                    Insights: Meditation is much like everyday life. Thoughts, feelings,
                    physical sensations are all fluid in meditation. They just float by.
                    In life, situations, relationships, and experience all float by in
                    much the same the way. You can hold onto nothing. It's all temporary.
                    Just witness.
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jul 10, 2002
                      Eve wrote:
                      Meditation is much like everyday life. Thoughts, feelings,
                      physical sensations are all fluid in meditation. They just float by.
                      In life, situations, relationships, and experience all float by in
                      much the same the way. You can hold onto nothing. It's all
                      temporary.
                      Just witness.
                      Comment: Sometimes wisdom floats by. This is a great example. Thanks!
                    • eveneon
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jul 11, 2002
                        Date: July 11, 2002
                        Time: 8:40
                        Duration: 40 minutes
                        Position: sitting in chair, eyes closed, palms resting on knees
                        facing up
                        Technique: Breath and body awareness

                        Today was all about body awareness. I started my session the same way
                        I usually do, scanning my body for tension then focusing on the sound
                        and feeling of my breath. I was finding it difficult to concentrate
                        and noticed some back pain starting to build so I decided to try some
                        healing visualization techniques. I focused on drawing healing energy
                        (represented by an iridescent purple/pink/bluish color). I imagined
                        bringing this in through my breath and my arms, legs, and head. I
                        would hold this energy in my body and see it moving around, and then
                        I would exhale the painful energy (represented by the color red) I
                        did this for a while I noticed where tension was coming up in my
                        body. My back pain never left completely, but it changed intensity
                        and certain times. I was feeling the need to stretch and was starting
                        to feel a little warm. I just sat with this until I felt it was time
                        to stop. My concentration seemed to get stronger as my session
                        progressed. I felt a little achy when I woke up this morning and I
                        still feel a little achy after meditating. I don't know if this
                        visualization helped my pain or not, but it gave me something to
                        focus on, helping me to concentrate a little more.