Journal Entry - tosime

  • Tony
    Message 1 of 99 , Jul 6 1:34 AM
      Posting your meditation journal here is an excellent opportunity to share your meditation experience so others can learn from your insights and reflect on their own practice. You will find that posting a journal is a good motivator for regular, progressive meditation. Please use any format you wish. Feel free to ask questions in your post, respond to questions in other posts and comment on any aspect of each entry. While meditating, be careful to avoid a mind commentary that anticipates posting a journal entry as this can distract from your meditation session. Avoid judging your sessions based on what you read posted by others.

      Journal Entry - tosime
      Date: July 06
      Variation: Focus on breath
      Time: 07:05 a.m.
      Duration: 69 minutes (open)
      Posture: Seated on chair
      Body: Eyes closed, tongue tip to pallet, hands on knees-index finger
      touching thumb
      Condition: Dark room. Candles. Incense. Essential Oil - (Bergamot
      + water on burner). Bell (tried continuous ringing today).
      Mind Chatter: Low.
      Waves of bliss: None climaxed but a few attempts.
      Experience: Unusual session.

      Notes: Missed yesterday's session due to early morning meetings. Tried continuous ringing of the bell today - striking the bell repeatedly in quick succession compared to single strike then listening for the reverberation. It was different but not remarkable.

      Immediately I started my session I had a flood of strong background white noise that drowned the normal sounds I hear during meditation. This was very unusual and hard to understand. Even after relaxing and waiting, the strong background sounds persisted. Eventually it reduced a little but came back as soon as I recognized that it had reduced. I had mixed feelings of frustration and curiosity. Frustration as my normal insights and waves were blocked, curiosity as to what is was and what it meant. I tried to reason it (continuous ringing of bell, missed session yesterday, thinking of right ear technique, something developing inside my mind, or a combination of these etc) but no real answer. I tried to feel for what was happening but nothing came up. I could feel the waves of bliss attempting to rise but they were choked off by the background noise. Strongly, mind chatter was low.

      Earlier, just before starting my meditation, I startled a cat who had curled up on my balcony. I had opened the balcony glass door to let some fresh air in before I started my session (as I always do). The cat froze with an intent gaze to see what I would do. This attitude reminded me of the kind of focus I felt could be suitable for meditation.

      Eventually I decided to end the session which I felt was not very productive.

      Questions: Does anyone have an explanation for the unusual sounds today?

    • Swami-G
      Message 99 of 99 , Nov 29, 2003
        <tosime@b...> wrote:
        > Journal Entry - tosime
        > Date: November 29 2003
        > Type: Meditation on inner sounds (with earplugs)
        > Time: 07:55 a.m.
        > Duration: 38 minutes (open)
        > Posture: Seated on chair
        > Body: Eyes closed,
        > - Hands on knees
        > Room Condition: Darkened room
        > - One candle
        > - Incense
        > - Essential Oil - (Gardenia + water on burner)
        > Pre-session:
        > - Full body stretch (3 times).
        > - Struck the bell 3 times before starting
        > Mind Chatter: Low
        > Waves of bliss: None
        > Experience: Good Session. First session after about a year
        without
        > meditating
        >
        > Result: Recall Session - Getting used to the motions.
        >
        > Surprising easy to return to meditation. My body felt as if it were
        on
        > automatic pilot - simply did most of the usual things I did with
        very
        > little thinking on my part.
        >
        > Good physical relaxation. Moved quite quickly through deeper
        and deeper
        > states of physical relaxation.
        >
        > Had the insight that my day to day thinking was like watching a
        slide
        > show. Each slide would stop if I dwelt on it by thinking about it.
        If I
        > did not, the next slide would appear. Most of my problems
        come when I
        > dwell too much on each passing thought. The progression of
        thoughts is a
        > natural process that I interfere with when I dwell too long on
        any
        > particular thought. I should try relaxing more and allowing the
        thought
        > process to take its natural course.

        Sg: nice to see the site come back to its intention.....