Inner Sounds

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 5, 2002
      Tony wrote: Thanks so much for the tip on inner sounds meditation - I
      will try it. Could you go further on the traditional way to listen to
      inner sounds - I don't think we have discussed it, and I am desperate
      for guidance.
      Dear Tony, I think I have posted this technique on the site, or
      somewhere, at some time. When I find it, I will post it here. In the
      mean (I hope gentle) time, I will try to keep this short and simple...
      When placing attention on the inner sounds, using earplugs definitely
      makes it easier. Relax and position yourself in the posture you
      have found to be most condusive to sustaining meditation. Then,
      silently focus with full attention on the (inner) right side. The 3rd
      Ear! As you listen, there are traditionally 10 sounds that will be
      heard, but rather than naming them, which I think may cause mind
      chatter ("Oh, there's that sound, now let's see if the next one will
      appear, etc...), I want to suggest just Witnessing without
      comparisons, judgements, or commentary. When you are aware of a sound
      that is not on the right side, it's OK to let your awareness follow
      it and float where it goes. When it fades away or changes, go back to
      inner right attention. That's really all there is to it, and it
      seems so easy that it would be tempting to discount its potency, but
      it can be a divinely deep experience. There may come a time when 1000
      jet engines could go off right next to you and you won't notice,
      because of the infinite ecstatic nature of your connection with
      sound. It is there. All you need do is become aware of it. Empty,
      Witness, and you will fill with the celestial harmonies that are the
      precursors of Pure Silence.
    • Sara M. Leiste
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 29, 2004
        A few posts have mentioned inner sounds. COuld someone explain this to me?

        THanks!
        Sara

        http://my.yahoo.com
      • Thomas R. Strauman
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 29, 2004
          Yes, I was wondering the same thing.

          Tom
        • sarif mir
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 30, 2004

            "Sara M. Leiste" <leiste@...> wrote:

            A few posts have mentioned inner sounds. COuld someone explain this to me?

            THanks!
            Sara

            Thanks sara for your mail.I am sorry that I have no better knowledge about inner sounds.I have some some knowledge about meditation and aura.

            Thank you

            sarifmir

            http://my.yahoo.com

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/OnSolB/TM

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Do you Yahoo!?
          • Tony Osime
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 30, 2004

              Message: 3
              Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 07:12:27 -0800 (PST)
              From: "Sara M. Leiste" <leiste@...>
              Subject: Inner Sounds

              A few posts have mentioned inner sounds. COuld someone explain this to
              me?

              THanks!
              Sara
              __________________________________

              Hello Sara,

              I will be glad to share my personal experience of inner sounds
              meditation. First let me say that I am not an expert in meditation - my
              knowledge does not extend very far outside of my personal experience.

              Also, to keep things in perspective, let me say that this is just one of
              possibly hundreds of meditation techniques. Again, with my limited
              experience, I am not sure any technique is fundamentally superior to any
              other. I suggest just going with whatever you are comfortable with.

              And just to stretch my current thinking a little more, let me give you
              the disadvantages of this technique first.

              1) I think that once you start and make progress, it is harder to switch
              to other techniques.
              2) Once you get used to it, it is very hard to meditate outside of your
              normal meditation place. For instance, if you were in a crowded airport,
              people who use other techniques would likely find it easier to meditate
              in that environment.

              Basically, inner sounds meditation is using ear plugs to cut out
              external sounds so you can concentrate on your natural, inner sounds to
              guide you to deeper levels of meditation.

              When you put in ear plugs and remain calm, (closing your eyes will help)
              you will notice that there is a faint background sound that appears to
              come from inside you. It is like the sound of wind through pine trees or
              the sea when you put a sea shell against your ear.

              At first this sound appears constant - like the white noise you get when
              a TV is not tuned to a station. After a while you begin to notice subtle
              variations. After some months of practice, you should be able to hear a
              complex kaleidoscope of sounds swirling as in a dance. Eventually you
              will begin to appreciate that these sounds ebb and flow with your state
              of mind. As you go deeper and deeper into your meditation you should
              notice that the sounds change octave. My thinking is that eventually you
              should be able to interpret the sounds as feedback of your meditation.

              One of my favorite uses of the inner sounds is to guide me in a
              meditation direction. What I do is select one of the sub sounds and
              simply focus my attention on it. As that sound becomes more prominent,
              my meditation goes in a particular direction. For me the discoveries are
              fascinating.

              One word of advice is to exercise patience. Let your body relax first.
              Be more of a passive listener than an aggressive searcher. The more
              passive and introspective you are the clearer you will notice the
              variations in sounds.

              I hope you will try out this type of meditation and share your
              experiences with us.

              ...Tony
            • Tony Osime
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
                Hello Everyone,

                Since there was some interest in inner sounds meditation, I decided to
                approach today's session as if I were new to this technique and see what
                suggestions I could give.

                My first reaction was that nothing was happening. I was sitting there
                with earplugs in, eyes closed and yes I could hear a faint background
                sound, but that was it.

                My comment here would be that the quality of sounds that are possible is
                the result of going deeper in to meditation rather than the objective of
                meditation. In other words the sounds respond to your meditative state,
                rather than causing your meditative state (so far as I know). So we need
                to relax and calm our bodies. It takes about 5 - 15 minutes for my
                physical body to become calm enough for me to effectively use my inner
                sounds to guide me. I am so used to calming my body that it happens by
                itself - it is like entering an elevator and simply waiting to get to
                the floor you have selected. I suggest focusing on your breath or some
                other technique to get you to a calm enough level to appreciate your
                inner sounds.

                Some external sounds still enter despite using ear plugs.

                My comment would be to just ignore them and focus on claming your body.
                It is possible that an external sound will trigger a physical reaction
                in you and this will result in a distinct change in the inner sounds. I
                see this as a good sign because you are now using your inner sounds to
                monitor your physical reactions.

                Another comment is on the subtlety of the inner sounds. They respond to
                even the slightest thought. However you will not be able to detect that
                change until you reach a deep enough level of relaxation. The analogy
                that might work is to picture a bath that is full of water. The bottom
                of the bath has a miniature landscape with hills, valleys and all kinds
                of activity. Imagine you are at the same scale as the miniature
                landscape, but floating on top of the water. From that perspective,
                nothing is happening. You just see the flat surface of water. It is not
                until you drain the bath and gently descend to the level the miniature
                landscape that a whole new world unfolds. From my experience the best
                way to drain the bath is to not drain it. That is, do not think about
                it, let it happen on its own.

                Hope that helps...Tony
              • Tony Osime
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
                  Hi Bob,

                  Thanks for your encouragement and the information on inner sounds. It
                  has been a great help to me - both in knowledge and inspiration.

                  Many thanks also to Jeff and Sandeep - I always look forward to your
                  posts.

                  ...Tony
                • bhalla sandeep

                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 2, 2004
                      No expectations... no judgements... "just do it."  :-D

                      Tom S.