Re: [Meditation Society of America] Indigo Children...

  • lesley_j2001
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 3, 2002
      > Great book!!!<

      Can you share why you like it? What about the book intrigued you?
      What truths did you find there? I really want to know how others
      *read* it.

      TIA,

      Lesley
    • Calvin Richens
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 3, 2002
        I have worked the last 3 years with people with disabilities. most of them were children. It was amazing to see how much I could learn from them. My own children understand instinctively thing that I have been a lifetime learning. I accepted thing that my parent were locked away from due to their beliefs. These souls are coming into the world now with built in knowledge. We the adults and the power full can not understand them and want to fit them into our mold. The insights in this book helped me to reduce medications for some clients and to build confidence that had been undermined in others. Un fortunately laws and policies stopped me short and I am no longer involved with the program.
        Can you share why you like it? What about the book intrigued you?
        What truths did you find there? I really want to know how others
        *read* it.

        TIA,

        Lesley

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • lesley_j2001
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 3, 2002
          I lost my original reply after being forced to submit a password
          during the posting process.

          Bless you for working with the disabled. It is a difficult, but
          rewarding, task.

          I agree that many children diagnosed with ADHD are simply
          misparented or mismanaged by teachers. Children today require a
          different level of parenting. My own dd (25 months) demands that we
          treat her as an equal member of our household. She respects rules
          that are reasonable, but cannot abide blanket rules for no reason.
          If I parented her the way my parents reared me, she would be out of
          control. It requires a different level of parenting to rear children
          today. I suppose this could be the indigo *reality.* However, there
          may be other studies that provide equally provacative theories that
          I have simply not discovered yet.

          I have read about a hypothesis called the 100th monkey. The
          hypothesis is that individuals (monkeys in the study) begin learning
          new skills. When the number of individuals reaches a certain critial
          mass (the 100th monkey) then all the other individuals discover the
          skill instantaneously. It will be interesting to live the next few
          decades and see if the speculation surrounding the indigo children
          reaching a critical mass to change humanity comes to fruition.

          Lesley

          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "Calvin Richens"
          <crichens@s...> wrote:
          > I have worked the last 3 years with people with disabilities. most
          of them were children. It was amazing to see how much I could learn
          from them. My own children understand instinctively thing that I
          have been a lifetime learning. I accepted thing that my parent were
          locked away from due to their beliefs. These souls are coming into
          the world now with built in knowledge. We the adults and the power
          full can not understand them and want to fit them into our mold. The
          insights in this book helped me to reduce medications for some
          clients and to build confidence that had been undermined in others.
          Un fortunately laws and policies stopped me short and I am no longer
          involved with the program.

          Service.

        • kmckenzie92765
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 8, 2002

            > Has anyone heard about the Indigo Children or read the book by
            that
            > title? (portions deleted)

            > What is anyone's take on the book's theory? I can't put my finger
            on
            > why I disliked the message when it screamed at me so.
            >
            > Lesley

            Based on the discussion on Indigo Children on this board and my
            internet search, I checked the book out of the library on Saturday
            and am in the process of reading it.

            I'm 64. My initial take on the book is to wonder whether the children
            have really changed or whether a sufficient number of adults have
            awakened (or been educated) to "see" realities in our children that
            have always been there. There are many factors at work here, not the
            least of which is less tolerance for "children should be seen and not
            heard" that was so prevalent when I was growing up.

            Once we begin to listen to each other, including our children, we
            become amazed at the previously unseen and unknown wisdom that is all
            around us. "Out of the mouths of babes. . . ," etc.

            As to the phenomenon just now being seen by people who have been
            teaching or in day care for 25-30 years -- I would certainly hope
            that anyone in these fields for this length of time has changed at
            least some of their teaching/caring behavior to incorporate changing
            wisdom, thus changing what they see and the behavior they elicit in
            the children under their care.
          • lesley_j2001
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 9, 2002
              I think there is a lot of validity to your point. What I can't
              reconcile, though is that many parents of indigo children are having
              trouble disciplining their kids. Did parents in previous generations
              have the same issues as mentioned in the book? I wonder why that
              style worked then, but it isn't working now? Is it that more parents
              are opting for a different style and getting different results,
              which makes children parented with the former style different? I
              wonder if we are seeing a split between parents who read all the
              latest parenting books and have changed their style to match the
              latest experts' recommendations versus those who do as their parents
              did? Is it that psychologists now have tests that assess behaviors
              that may have existed before but were not assessable at that time?
              Many unanswered questions for me.

              Lesley

              PS sorry for the implications that the former style is *wrong.* It
              worked for an entire generation of families so it must have been
              okay. I am a product of that generation. My mom is 73. I think I
              turned out pretty much okay <g>. I just couldn't find a way to
              express myself without the implied undertone.

              --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "kmckenzie92765"
              <kathleenm@y...> wrote:

              >My initial take on the book is to wonder whether the children
              > have really changed or whether a sufficient number of adults have
              > awakened (or been educated) to "see" realities in our children
              that
              > have always been there.
            • kmckenzie92765
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 11, 2002
                Are we allowed to wander off topic to any great length? Because this
                is an interesting topic to me and there is much I could say, but I
                wonder if that's okay?

                We could e-mail off the board, if you like.

                kathleen

                --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., lesley_j2001 <no_reply@y...>

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 11, 2002
                  Hi - As long as it deals with things that are pointing to
                  consciousness evolution, anything posted is not "off topic". This may
                  limit me personally somewhat in 2 weeks, when football training camp
                  starts, and my compulsive desire to discuss sports kicks into
                  overdrive, but maybe we could include that too in a meditative
                  perspective.