Re: [Meditation Society of America] Indigo Children...

  • Calvin Richens
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 3 4:56 AM
      Great book!!!
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: lesley_j2001
      To: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 9:47 PM
      Subject: [Meditation Society of America] Indigo Children...

      Has anyone heard about the Indigo Children or read the book by that
      title? I just read it, and it hit some nerves for me. The book's
      premise is that a new *breed* of human has come into the world.
      Their color is Indigo. (This is based on color charting.) According
      to the book's authors, the Indigos are here to usher in a new way of
      living, evolving humans very quickly. There were specific character
      traits mentioned for these children. The book was written sometime
      in the 90s and suggests that most indigos at that time were around
      age 6-10, but that some had been born in the early 70s or before.

      I really struggled with the suggestion of evolution. I guess I never
      considered it would occur within my lifetime. It always seemed more
      gradual - mutant genes slowly working their way into the mainstream
      DNA. The book suggests that we are experiencing personal wishy-washy
      ness because we are living between worlds, that of the old way of
      living, and that of the new based on interconnectedness, energy
      flow, and a host of other metaphysical things.

      But, the tone of the book really put me off. It seems to really
      treat indigos as if they are special humans (even suggested from
      other worlds and planets). I felt reading it as I do when I read
      books that discuss Armageddon and the end of the world - wild
      interpretations of seemingly random occurrences bordering on Science
      Fiction.

      The thing is, that book was about me. It screamed at me that I am an
      Indigo. I am exactly how they describe indigos. (Surprisingly, or
      not, I have had my aura read and it was indigo once, and voilet
      another time - with lots of indigo.) But, I'm in my early 30s. If
      the proposition of the author is true, could it be that some of us
      arrived early to take on early roles for all the others? I'm
      thinking leadership, such as politics or ministerial. The indigos
      would need someone to vote for when they turn 18, a church where
      they are welcomed. Could some of the early indigos have arrived to
      fill that void?

      I asked my inner voice if it were true that I was an indigo. It
      replied (loudly I might add) "Yes and we need you to get it in gear.
      Hurry! We need you!)

      What is anyone's take on the book's theory? I can't put my finger on
      why I disliked the message when it screamed at me so.

      Lesley

    • lesley_j2001
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 3 6:33 AM
        > Great book!!!<

        Can you share why you like it? What about the book intrigued you?
        What truths did you find there? I really want to know how others
        *read* it.

        TIA,

        Lesley
      • Calvin Richens
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 3 5:42 PM
          I have worked the last 3 years with people with disabilities. most of them were children. It was amazing to see how much I could learn from them. My own children understand instinctively thing that I have been a lifetime learning. I accepted thing that my parent were locked away from due to their beliefs. These souls are coming into the world now with built in knowledge. We the adults and the power full can not understand them and want to fit them into our mold. The insights in this book helped me to reduce medications for some clients and to build confidence that had been undermined in others. Un fortunately laws and policies stopped me short and I am no longer involved with the program.
          Can you share why you like it? What about the book intrigued you?
          What truths did you find there? I really want to know how others
          *read* it.

          TIA,

          Lesley

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • lesley_j2001
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 3 7:19 PM
            I lost my original reply after being forced to submit a password
            during the posting process.

            Bless you for working with the disabled. It is a difficult, but
            rewarding, task.

            I agree that many children diagnosed with ADHD are simply
            misparented or mismanaged by teachers. Children today require a
            different level of parenting. My own dd (25 months) demands that we
            treat her as an equal member of our household. She respects rules
            that are reasonable, but cannot abide blanket rules for no reason.
            If I parented her the way my parents reared me, she would be out of
            control. It requires a different level of parenting to rear children
            today. I suppose this could be the indigo *reality.* However, there
            may be other studies that provide equally provacative theories that
            I have simply not discovered yet.

            I have read about a hypothesis called the 100th monkey. The
            hypothesis is that individuals (monkeys in the study) begin learning
            new skills. When the number of individuals reaches a certain critial
            mass (the 100th monkey) then all the other individuals discover the
            skill instantaneously. It will be interesting to live the next few
            decades and see if the speculation surrounding the indigo children
            reaching a critical mass to change humanity comes to fruition.

            Lesley

            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "Calvin Richens"
            <crichens@s...> wrote:
            > I have worked the last 3 years with people with disabilities. most
            of them were children. It was amazing to see how much I could learn
            from them. My own children understand instinctively thing that I
            have been a lifetime learning. I accepted thing that my parent were
            locked away from due to their beliefs. These souls are coming into
            the world now with built in knowledge. We the adults and the power
            full can not understand them and want to fit them into our mold. The
            insights in this book helped me to reduce medications for some
            clients and to build confidence that had been undermined in others.
            Un fortunately laws and policies stopped me short and I am no longer
            involved with the program.

            Service.

          • kmckenzie92765
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 8 12:44 PM

              > Has anyone heard about the Indigo Children or read the book by
              that
              > title? (portions deleted)

              > What is anyone's take on the book's theory? I can't put my finger
              on
              > why I disliked the message when it screamed at me so.
              >
              > Lesley

              Based on the discussion on Indigo Children on this board and my
              internet search, I checked the book out of the library on Saturday
              and am in the process of reading it.

              I'm 64. My initial take on the book is to wonder whether the children
              have really changed or whether a sufficient number of adults have
              awakened (or been educated) to "see" realities in our children that
              have always been there. There are many factors at work here, not the
              least of which is less tolerance for "children should be seen and not
              heard" that was so prevalent when I was growing up.

              Once we begin to listen to each other, including our children, we
              become amazed at the previously unseen and unknown wisdom that is all
              around us. "Out of the mouths of babes. . . ," etc.

              As to the phenomenon just now being seen by people who have been
              teaching or in day care for 25-30 years -- I would certainly hope
              that anyone in these fields for this length of time has changed at
              least some of their teaching/caring behavior to incorporate changing
              wisdom, thus changing what they see and the behavior they elicit in
              the children under their care.
            • lesley_j2001
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 9 8:02 PM
                I think there is a lot of validity to your point. What I can't
                reconcile, though is that many parents of indigo children are having
                trouble disciplining their kids. Did parents in previous generations
                have the same issues as mentioned in the book? I wonder why that
                style worked then, but it isn't working now? Is it that more parents
                are opting for a different style and getting different results,
                which makes children parented with the former style different? I
                wonder if we are seeing a split between parents who read all the
                latest parenting books and have changed their style to match the
                latest experts' recommendations versus those who do as their parents
                did? Is it that psychologists now have tests that assess behaviors
                that may have existed before but were not assessable at that time?
                Many unanswered questions for me.

                Lesley

                PS sorry for the implications that the former style is *wrong.* It
                worked for an entire generation of families so it must have been
                okay. I am a product of that generation. My mom is 73. I think I
                turned out pretty much okay <g>. I just couldn't find a way to
                express myself without the implied undertone.

                --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "kmckenzie92765"
                <kathleenm@y...> wrote:

                >My initial take on the book is to wonder whether the children
                > have really changed or whether a sufficient number of adults have
                > awakened (or been educated) to "see" realities in our children
                that
                > have always been there.
              • kmckenzie92765
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 11 10:14 AM
                  Are we allowed to wander off topic to any great length? Because this
                  is an interesting topic to me and there is much I could say, but I
                  wonder if that's okay?

                  We could e-mail off the board, if you like.

                  kathleen

                  --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., lesley_j2001 <no_reply@y...>

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 11 10:42 AM
                    Hi - As long as it deals with things that are pointing to
                    consciousness evolution, anything posted is not "off topic". This may
                    limit me personally somewhat in 2 weeks, when football training camp
                    starts, and my compulsive desire to discuss sports kicks into
                    overdrive, but maybe we could include that too in a meditative
                    perspective.