Practice

  • texasbg2000
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 14, 2003
      Gampopa once had a problem with his meditation practice - all of a
      sudden he could not see anymore. Gampopa crawled to Milarepa and
      asked him what he should do, and Milarepa answered, "Your meditation
      belt is too tight. You should loosen it."
    • maria luisa
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 23 9:30 AM
        Hello all,
        this is an email sent to somebody this morning and i thought it
        could be of interest here, so i will post it.

        Hi ....,
        don't be silly. Please don't play the roll of being in the darkness.
        There is no darkness, there are only moments seen by mind. This is
        hard to understand, because it is within the thinking process that
        this is tried.
        The only way out of this is putting some practice in motion. There
        is an effort needed, but it can be a subtle and soft effort,
        something done in harmony, with love, with tenderness, something
        that makes us feel comfortable. You must find it, and the only way
        is trying several practices until you find one that fits you. And
        it's not about judging the practices, it's about doing them. Once a
        practice is good for you, you won't even think: oh, this is it!. No,
        not at all, you'll just be doing it and with no effort.
        I tell you this because this is what happened to me, which doesn't
        mean that it will do it for everyone, but my teacher, who is an
        experienced one, always said that there were several practices that
        could be done, and how to do them, that one of them would fit us,
        and that this would be enough. I found a teacher when i even didn't
        realize that it would become so important or relevant to me. A
        simple and humble teacher, one that is 'hided' as a devotee of some
        recognized master, one that only says that all he does is
        trasmitting the teachings of his master. But now it is evident to me
        that he is a saint, (not the saints painted in the churches, but a
        real one because all he does is trasmit the way to be liberated from
        mind and wait until his tired body arrives to its final rest). He is
        a hard and tough teacher, but so full of real love, a love that is
        not recognized at first glance by the deluded minds. It is a love
        made of wisdom. I tell you all this to make you understand why i
        repeat his words and teachings. And he says that some
        practice "must" be done, that the path to liberation is like a bird,
        that it has two wings absolutely neccesary for the flight: one is
        intellectual understanding and the other is practice. He says that
        without practice it is not enough, the bird won't fly.
        If paying attention to attention, or directing awareness to
        awareness is not as easy to you, leave it there, it will hapen in
        due course, so why not try other things much easier, something more
        of the devotional or service type.
        I did Reiki, and what happened here? I already knew about paying
        attention to attention, but a friend came to me asking for help, she
        had terrible headaches. So i propossed full sessions of Reiki. We
        went on about three weeks of full reiki. During this practice i
        concentrated and asked all the teachers i would think or imagine
        that had been on my road to assist me, and offered all the work to
        Rei(universal) Ki (energy). I just said in my mind: i am an
        instrument, and whatever happens here, the consequences are those
        that are best, whether they are the desired ones or not. I went
        through this practice several days until it finished. i was really
        expecting nothing, and the meditation that happened was something so
        wonderful and natural, because i was just doing it for love, i
        didn't ask for money or any kind of retribution. So what happened?
        During those days my mind learned to be still without me even
        noticing it. I gave no importance to the fact because i wasn't aware
        of it, it was just natural. After several months i realized that
        the "revelation" of reality happened during those days and when i
        asked myself: what did i do to it? i came to understand that the
        stillness of my mind was the clue, and that it happened because of
        this practice that was being done with no personal intention. My
        realization and total understanding, or the nirvikalpa samadhi, as
        indians call it, came during sleep. I wasn't doing a single movement
        of mind, there was no paying attention to nothing, no practice, no
        intention, no desires, in short, there was no me. So practice didn't
        do it in this sense, but practice did it in the sense that mind was
        quiet in a natural way. Naturality is important. To be natural, to
        act naturally, to see things as they are, not as we think they are,
        are good clues. And if we are not able to see it, just accept this,
        as simple as this: i don't know, i don't understand and i accept it,
        but i practice.
        Practice is important. What do you practice? How do you pay
        attention to attention, or what else do you do?
        By the way, i am not deffending myself or anything, but you were
        judging teachers without knowing that there is no good or not bad,
        but within the measurements of the mental activities. Hard to
        understand? yes. Mind will never understand until it discovers the
        delusion of the thinking process.

        All the love,
        maria luisa
      • Sandeep
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 22, 2009

          "You imposed limits to your true nature of infinite being,
          then, you get displeased to be only a limited creature,
          then you begin spiritual practices to transcend these nonexistent
          limits.

          "But if your practice itself implies the existence of these limits,
          how could they allow you to transcend them?"

          ~~Ramana Maharshi

          ------

          If Ramana was around today and muttered these lines, he would be accused of the famous Advaitic shuffle
          and denounced as a neo-Advaitin.

          How would practice allow a transcending of limits which it itself implies, in the first place.

          And yet practice(s) teem in phenomenality.

          Including the practice of self enquiry, as suggested by the same dude.

          The resolution of this seemingly paradox would be that practice, whatever be it's form and nature, whether Tantric processes, dualistic Bhakti, the various Zen-ic hoopla, Sufi dancing and whirling , the Hassidic rituals , self-enquiry.....the practice of denouncing all practices....

          ....are all complete in themselves ..... AS themselves.

          Nothing is a means to anything else even though there appears to be casual linkages between
          seemingly disparate aspects.

          If any and every aspect of phenomenality is complete in itself, .....

          .......then phenomenality as a whole is complete in itself.

          Moment to moment to moment.

          This is complete;
          That is complete;
          Out of completion, arose completion;
          And when completion arose;
          what it arose from, was still complete.

        • dan330033
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 24, 2009
            Hi Sandeep -

            Thanks for your post. Good points.

            For similar reasons, in my opinion, the following statements were attributed to Jesus:

            "Observe the lilies of the field, and how they grow."

            "For those who have ears to hear, let them hear."

            "Many are called, few are chosen."

            "Don't throw your pearls before [those who can't appreciate pearls]"

            LOL,

            -- Dan

            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Sandeep <sandeep1960@...> wrote:

            > *"You imposed limits to your true nature of infinite being,
            > then, you get displeased to be only a limited creature,
            > then you begin spiritual practices to transcend these nonexistent
            > limits.
            >
            > "But if your practice itself implies the existence of these limits,
            > how could they allow you to transcend them?"
            > *
            > *~~Ramana Maharshi*
            >

            > ------
            >

            > /*If Ramana was around today and muttered these lines, he would be
            > accused of the famous Advaitic shuffle
            > and denounced as a neo-Advaitin.
            >

            > How would practice allow a transcending of limits which it itself
            > implies, in the first place.
            >
            > And yet practice(s) teem in phenomenality.
            >
            > Including the practice of self enquiry, as suggested by the same dude.
            >

            > The resolution of this seemingly paradox would be that practice,
            > whatever be it's form and nature, whether Tantric processes, dualistic
            > Bhakti, the various Zen-ic hoopla, Sufi dancing and whirling , the
            > Hassidic rituals , self-enquiry.....the practice of denouncing all
            > practices....
            >
            > ....are all complete in themselves ..... AS themselves.
            >

            > Nothing is a means to anything else even though there appears to be
            > casual linkages between
            > seemingly disparate aspects.
            >

            > If any and every aspect of phenomenality is complete in itself, .....
            >
            > .......then phenomenality as a whole is complete in itself.
            >

            > Moment to moment to moment.
            >

            > This is complete;
            > That is complete;
            > Out of completion, arose completion;
            > And when completion arose;
            > what it arose from, was still complete.
            >
            > */

          • dan330033
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 24, 2009
              The sense of aloneness is deep, and can be difficult to tolerate. Because awareness has no other, no second, it tends to bring up the sense of aloneness. Aloneness = all-one-ness.

              I understand that there is no one existing apart to tolerate or not tolerate awareness (not the word "awareness," the actuality that is nameless, that is nothing/everything).

              The reason I say "difficult to tolerate" is that memory tends to arise, and memory tends to involve "triggered" responses to the sense of being alone, once that sense registers in memory.

              Aloneness, not involving memory response, involves no self, no imagined other, just being.

              Memory response tends to bring up fears of abandonment, feelings of vulnerability or resentment, deprivation, fears of injury, attack, feeling a need to protect, or sensing the possibility of death. This is the human being, it is not a matter of myself vs. others, there is no self or other to this. It is the human being.

              These fears are in memory, quite likely passed on through the DNA.

              They are "early" fears in terms of human development, "basic" fears.

              So, one wants to assuage those fears.

              One generates fantasy, (and often addictions, obsessions, compulsions), and this doesn't just apply to "internal" fantasies (as internal and external are based on imagined division).

              Fantasy includes all kinds of imagery and thought about "others," "the future," "myself," "getting," "having," (as doer, relater, exister, possessor, etc.).

              Fantasy includes many things, and includes generating religious and spiritual saviors, gurus, communities, concepts, practices that will "bring me enlightenment" or "make me a better person."

              "Meditation" is to be, and thus, be aware.

              Awareness is this aloneness.

              Meditation is to be aware of any fantasies, thoughts, fears, etc., that arise (and dissolve), without "entanglement" or "attachment."

              Awareness is not "involved" in any arising, not picking and choosing. All arisings are equal, in terms of awareness.

              Meditation dissolves as one understands that awareness simply is.

              There is no procedure, no attempt, no doing involved.

              To whatever extent "meditation" implies a meditator, or a process, or an outcome, meditation dissolves.

              Awareness is.

              The idea and word "awareness" dissolves.

              -- Dan --