Journal Entry - tosime

  • Tony
    Message 1 of 99 , Jul 3, 2002
      Posting your meditation journal here is an excellent opportunity to share your meditation experience so others can learn from your insights and reflect on their own practice. You will find that posting a journal is a good motivator for regular, progressive meditation. Please use any format you wish. Feel free to ask questions in your post, respond to questions in other posts and comment on any aspect of each entry. While meditating, be careful to avoid a mind commentary that anticipates posting a journal entry as this can distract from your meditation session. Avoid judging your sessions based on what you read posted by others.

      Journal Entry - tosime
      Date: July 03
      Variation: Focus on breath
      Time: 06:45 a.m.
      Duration: 77 minutes (open)
      Posture: Seated on chair
      Body: Eyes closed, tongue tip to pallet, hands on knees-index finger
      touching thumb
      Condition: Dark room. Candles. Incense. Essential Oil - (Bergamot
      + water on burner). Bell.
      Mind Chatter: Medium.
      Waves of bliss: 4-6 varying depth waves (some induced).
      Experience: Very good session.

      Notes: Started session feeling low, ended session feeling calm and neutral. One wave of bliss was very long, very satisfying today.

      Interesting realization today. I used to think that I went from one stage to the next in my meditation, that each stage represented some level of consciousness. During today's session I had the impression that all I was doing was changing my point of observation. Rather like changing channels on a TV or radio. The key point being that there are several channels running simultaneously, all I am doing is switching attention from one to another.

      It is a bit hard to explain this so please bear with me. At any time I have several "strands" of thought. Since I spend 90% of my time in one "strand" I assumed that this was the only strand working. In meditation I find that I am able to switch between the different strands. What I discovered today is that each of the strands is a continuous flow of thought. I used to think that each strand stopped when I took attention away from it and started when I brought my attention back to it. I know for many people this will sound mundane, sort of common knowledge. For those who do not appreciate this, it could be quite a revelation.

      Let me see if I can illustrate with an example. As I am at PC I can sense three strands, one at a very physical level is not saying much - just humming along so to speak. One at the thinking level is working very hard to understand and put thoughts to words. One at a more spiritual level is seeing the deeper consequences of my actions. For instance, I have a sense that there are messages going and coming, that certain things need to done (notice how hard it is to put into words).

      In today's session I switched back and forth between two stands several times and noticed for the first time how they ran concurrently.

      Questions: Do you have a sense that your mind operates with a number of strands of thought running concurrently? Can you explain or illustrate this? What are the implications?

    • Swami-G
      Message 99 of 99 , Nov 29 11:37 AM
        <tosime@b...> wrote:
        > Journal Entry - tosime
        > Date: November 29 2003
        > Type: Meditation on inner sounds (with earplugs)
        > Time: 07:55 a.m.
        > Duration: 38 minutes (open)
        > Posture: Seated on chair
        > Body: Eyes closed,
        > - Hands on knees
        > Room Condition: Darkened room
        > - One candle
        > - Incense
        > - Essential Oil - (Gardenia + water on burner)
        > Pre-session:
        > - Full body stretch (3 times).
        > - Struck the bell 3 times before starting
        > Mind Chatter: Low
        > Waves of bliss: None
        > Experience: Good Session. First session after about a year
        > meditating
        > Result: Recall Session - Getting used to the motions.
        > Surprising easy to return to meditation. My body felt as if it were
        > automatic pilot - simply did most of the usual things I did with
        > little thinking on my part.
        > Good physical relaxation. Moved quite quickly through deeper
        and deeper
        > states of physical relaxation.
        > Had the insight that my day to day thinking was like watching a
        > show. Each slide would stop if I dwelt on it by thinking about it.
        If I
        > did not, the next slide would appear. Most of my problems
        come when I
        > dwell too much on each passing thought. The progression of
        thoughts is a
        > natural process that I interfere with when I dwell too long on
        > particular thought. I should try relaxing more and allowing the
        > process to take its natural course.

        Sg: nice to see the site come back to its intention.....