Inner Sounds - Bob

  • Tony
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2 2:10 PM
      Hi Bob,

      Before I start my post I have a comment on "protocol". I notice in this group, people do not always sign their posts. Since the user name could be any combination of letters, sometimes I find it hard to know who has posted, especially when one person has more than one user name. Is this OK here? Could we simply sign our names on our posts? Secondly, in some groups the subject line does more work. Typically it includes the subject as well as who it is specially addressed to. This makes it easier to home into posts directed you when you receive your daily flood of mail. Could we do the same?

      Back to your post.

      Thanks so much for the tip on inner sounds meditation - I will try it.

      Could you go further on the traditional way to listen to inner sounds - I don't think we have discussed it, and I am desperate for guidance.

      There are times when I am blown away by what comes up during my meditation. When the Tom and Jerry clip came up - my jaw dropped. I wondered - "what is that doing here?" It provided a brief moment of entertainment.

      ...Tony

      Comment: Tony, Have we discussed the traditional way to listen to
      inner sounds is to focus on the right side? I know that this time the
      sound came spontaneously from the left, and that's not "wrong" or
      anything like that, but if the intention is to do an inner ear
      meditation, right is right. Right! Also, ain't the mind
      fascinating...Saints Tom and Jerry! What grace!

      PS - can we get some of your journal entries?

    • Tony
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 5 3:46 PM
        Thanks Bob,

        I will try it tomorrow.

        ...Tony

        Tony wrote: Thanks so much for the tip on inner sounds meditation - I
        will try it. Could you go further on the traditional way to listen to
        inner sounds - I don't think we have discussed it, and I am desperate
        for guidance.
        Dear Tony, I think I have posted this technique on the site, or
        somewhere, at some time. When I find it, I will post it here. In the
        mean (I hope gentle) time, I will try to keep this short and simple...
        When placing attention on the inner sounds, using earplugs definitely
        makes it easier. Relax and position yourself in the posture you
        have found to be most condusive to sustaining meditation. Then,
        silently focus with full attention on the (inner) right side. The 3rd
        Ear! As you listen, there are traditionally 10 sounds that will be
        heard, but rather than naming them, which I think may cause mind
        chatter ("Oh, there's that sound, now let's see if the next one will
        appear, etc...), I want to suggest just Witnessing without
        comparisons, judgements, or commentary. When you are aware of a sound
        that is not on the right side, it's OK to let your awareness follow
        it and float where it goes. When it fades away or changes, go back to
        inner right attention. That's really all there is to it, and it
        seems so easy that it would be tempting to discount its potency, but
        it can be a divinely deep experience. There may come a time when 1000
        jet engines could go off right next to you and you won't notice,
        because of the infinite ecstatic nature of your connection with
        sound. It is there. All you need do is become aware of it. Empty,
        Witness, and you will fill with the celestial harmonies that are the
        precursors of Pure Silence.