Journal Entry

  • eveneon
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 2 4:28 AM
      Date: July 2, 2002
      Time: 6:30am
      Duration 40 minutes
      Position: Eyes closed, sitting in chair, palms facing up, index
      finger touching thumb
      Technique: Body and breath awareness.

      "Good" session today. Concentration was strong and mind chatter
      minimal. Back pain practically non-existent. Something different
      occurred today. Usually, with my eyes closed, I just see blackness.
      But about 15 minutes into my session I started to see little light
      pixels mixed in with the black. Like white noise, similar to what I
      see when I first come out of meditation. This became my anchor or
      focus. I'm thinking it has always been there but I just never noticed
      it before. I was enjoying my meditation very much and did not want to
      end my session, but did so because I heard my husband wake up, which
      reminded me that I had to take care of some things before he left for
      work. I'm definitely noticing improved concentration the more I
      meditate.
      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 2 9:10 AM
        eveneon <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        Something different occurred today. Usually, with my eyes closed, I
        just see blackness. But about 15 minutes into my session I started to
        see little light pixels mixed in with the black. Like white noise,
        similar to what I see when I first come out of meditation. This
        became my anchor or focus. I'm thinking it has always been there but
        I just never noticed it before. I was enjoying my meditation very
        much...

        Comment: Warning! Warning! 3rd Eye opening! Maya beware!!!
      • eveneon
        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 3 4:06 AM
          Date :July3
          Time: 6:30am
          Duration: 30 minutes
          Position: Sitting in chair, eyes closed, palms up
          Technique: Body and breath awareness

          Hard to concentrate today. A lot of mind chatter. I didn't sleep well
          last night and I think this has something to do with it. It is also
          very hot and humid in my house making it extremely uncomfortable.
          Mild back pain.
        • gangak000
          Message 4 of 28 , Jul 3 7:41 AM
            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > eveneon <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > Something different occurred today. Usually, with my eyes
            closed, I
            > just see blackness. But about 15 minutes into my session I
            started to
            > see little light pixels mixed in with the black. Like white noise,
            > similar to what I see when I first come out of meditation. This
            > became my anchor or focus. I'm thinking it has always been
            there but
            > I just never noticed it before. I was enjoying my meditation very
            > much...
            >
            > Comment: Warning! Warning! 3rd Eye opening! Maya beware!!!

            G: hahahhahaha nope warning warning maya extended......

            word to the wise do not chase after the rising phenomena
            along the way..... that is not It.... continue on..... until you reach
            the Source from which all proceeds from.....

            shanti om ...g...
          • eveneon
            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 4 7:19 PM
              --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "gangak000"
              <crystalkundalini@h...> wrote:
              > > Comment: Warning! Warning! 3rd Eye opening! Maya beware!!!
              >
              > G: hahahhahaha nope warning warning maya extended......
              >
              > word to the wise do not chase after the rising phenomena
              > along the way..... that is not It.... continue on..... until
              you reach
              > the Source from which all proceeds from.....
              >
              > shanti om ...g...

              No chasing here. Just observing.

              Eve
            • eveneon
              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 6 6:10 AM
                Date: July 6, 2002
                Time: 8:00am
                Duration: 35 minutes open
                Technique: Body and breath awareness
                Position: Sitting in chair, eyes closed, index finger touching thumb,
                palms up

                Today my concentration seemed to be stronger at the beginning of my
                session rather than the end. Mind chatter was moderate. I had a few
                ideas come to me for projects I have been working on. I was able to
                let them go and trust that I would remember them after my meditation
                (which I did). Although I wasn't thinking about these ideas that had
                come to me, I guess the excitement of this kicked up the mind
                chatter. It was a little harder to concentrate after this happened. I
                felt relaxed and calm at the end of my session. Only noticed mild
                back pain a couple times.
              • eveneon
                Message 7 of 28 , Jul 8 8:35 AM
                  Date: July 8, 2002
                  Time: 8:30am
                  Duration: 15 minutes
                  Position: Sitting in chair, eyes closed, palms up, index finger
                  touching thumb
                  Technique: Body and breath awareness

                  Very hard to concentrate today. Could not stay focused. I'm not sure
                  why, but I was finding it difficult to breathe today. It was like my
                  lungs were never quite full of air, and a few times I had to open my
                  mouth to draw in as much air as I could. I don't have a stuffy nose
                  so I'm not sure what that is all about. About 10 minutes into my
                  session I noticed my back pain, which gradually grew worse. I
                  unconsciously came out of my session after fifteen minutes. Decided
                  not to try and continue.
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jul 8 8:59 AM
                    eveneon <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                    > Very hard to concentrate today. Could not stay focused. I'm not
                    sure why, but I was finding it difficult to breathe today. It was like
                    my lungs were never quite full of air, and a few times I had to open
                    my mouth to draw in as much air as I could. I don't have a stuffy
                    nose so I'm not sure what that is all about. About 10 minutes into my
                    session I noticed my back pain, which gradually grew worse. I
                    unconsciously came out of my session after fifteen minutes. Decided
                    not to try and continue.
                    Comment: Dear Eve, Have you heard that we are experiencing an air
                    quality problem in our area (N.E. America)? This is caused by what
                    must be an enormous fire in Ontario, Canada. Bette, who has asthma,
                    had trouble this morning just walking the 30 or so feet to her car.
                    As you know, I usually feel that "failed" meditation sessions have
                    the best potential to learn from, but in this case, I can't even
                    recommend taking a deep breath and calming down. You'd probably pass
                    out. BTW, have you tried any healing techniques for your back
                    problems?
                  • eveneon
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jul 8 11:47 AM
                      Hi Bob. I did hear about the fires but didn't think that it could
                      effect me. However, after watching the news this morning I realised
                      that it could be a problem when they said that there was a smoke
                      advisory today. It's pretty wild that a fire so far away could effect
                      us down here.
                      I have not done any healing techniques for my back. I guess I figured
                      that since the pain comes and goes and I don't always have it, that
                      it would just eventually stop on it's own. I am open to trying
                      something though. I might be nice to have something to shift my
                      meditation to when my back pain kicks in. Can you recommend something
                      to try?
                      Thanks,
                      Eve

                      Message 10 of 28 , Jul 8 12:32 PM
                        Eve wrote:
                        > I have not done any healing techniques for my back. I guess I
                        figured that since the pain comes and goes and I don't always have
                        it, that it would just eventually stop on it's own. I am open to
                        trying something though. It might be nice to have something to shift
                        my meditation to when my back pain kicks in. Can you recommend
                        something to try?
                        Thanks, Eve
                        Dear Eve,
                        At one time, my first impulse would have been to say "Baily's Irish
                        Cream", but that's just the eternal teen-ager in me looking for
                        acceptance through being funny. Now, all grown up (or down, depending
                        on your viewpoint), I'm going to suggest checking out the healing
                        techniques on our site http://www.meditationsociety.com/week29.html
                        BTW, this is the 2nd time in 24 hours I've suggested this, so I
                        expect doing it again very soon - or is this just an example of
                        holding on to folk lore and treating it as truth. Nah, not in this
                        case. Everybody knows that it's scientific fact that things happen in
                        3's. Oops - there goes that teenager again. Seriously, I hope that
                        you have learned all you need to from the back pain, and that one of
                        the methods discussed on the site, or something else, helps effect a
                        complete relief of your discomfort. After all, the Eagles training
                        camp opens in 18 days, and we all need to give football our complete
                        attention thereafter. Hey - how about that. The teenager came out 3
                        times. Yep - scientific proof if I ever saw it!
                      • eveneon
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jul 9 11:27 AM
                          Thanks Bob. I checked out the healing meditaions and will try them
                          next time my back pain kicks in. Interestly, I had no back pain today.
                          Eve

                          Message 12 of 28 , Jul 9 11:29 AM
                            Date: July 9, 2002
                            Time: 8:20am
                            Duration: 45minutes (open)
                            Position: Sitting in chair, eyes closed, palms facing up resting on
                            knees
                            Technique: Body and breath awareness

                            Very good concentration today. I was able to stay focused almost
                            continuously. I really had no back pain today except for a moment or
                            two of noticing a mild discomfort, which quickly passed. But I did
                            however also notice some mild discomfort in my jaw. Not enough to
                            distract me. Today's session seemed to have a different quality to
                            it, but I don't think I can describe it. I can only say it seemed to
                            be more of a watching or "witnessing" of my thoughts. I meditated in
                            a different room and facing a different direction. I don't know if
                            this had an influence or not. Possible I suppose. Longer than normal
                            session today. Very calm and relaxed afterward.
                          • eveneon
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jul 10 6:47 AM
                              Date: July 10, 2002
                              Time: 8:20am
                              Duration: 40 minutes (open)
                              Position: Sitting in chair, eyes closed, palms on knees facing up
                              Technique: Body and breath awareness

                              Not much to say about today's session other than it was similar to
                              yesterdays. My concentration was not quite as strong, but still good.
                              Seemed to be weaker towards the end. No back or body pain of any kind
                              today.

                              Insights: Meditation is much like everyday life. Thoughts, feelings,
                              physical sensations are all fluid in meditation. They just float by.
                              In life, situations, relationships, and experience all float by in
                              much the same the way. You can hold onto nothing. It's all temporary.
                              Just witness.
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jul 10 9:47 AM
                                Eve wrote:
                                Meditation is much like everyday life. Thoughts, feelings,
                                physical sensations are all fluid in meditation. They just float by.
                                In life, situations, relationships, and experience all float by in
                                much the same the way. You can hold onto nothing. It's all
                                temporary.
                                Just witness.
                                Comment: Sometimes wisdom floats by. This is a great example. Thanks!
                              • eveneon
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jul 11 6:02 AM
                                  Date: July 11, 2002
                                  Time: 8:40
                                  Duration: 40 minutes
                                  Position: sitting in chair, eyes closed, palms resting on knees
                                  facing up
                                  Technique: Breath and body awareness

                                  Today was all about body awareness. I started my session the same way
                                  I usually do, scanning my body for tension then focusing on the sound
                                  and feeling of my breath. I was finding it difficult to concentrate
                                  and noticed some back pain starting to build so I decided to try some
                                  healing visualization techniques. I focused on drawing healing energy
                                  (represented by an iridescent purple/pink/bluish color). I imagined
                                  bringing this in through my breath and my arms, legs, and head. I
                                  would hold this energy in my body and see it moving around, and then
                                  I would exhale the painful energy (represented by the color red) I
                                  did this for a while I noticed where tension was coming up in my
                                  body. My back pain never left completely, but it changed intensity
                                  and certain times. I was feeling the need to stretch and was starting
                                  to feel a little warm. I just sat with this until I felt it was time
                                  to stop. My concentration seemed to get stronger as my session
                                  progressed. I felt a little achy when I woke up this morning and I
                                  still feel a little achy after meditating. I don't know if this
                                  visualization helped my pain or not, but it gave me something to
                                  focus on, helping me to concentrate a little more.