Journal Entry

  • eveneon
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 1, 2002
      Date:July 1
      Time:6:00am
      Duration:45minutes
      Position: Sitting in chair, eyes closed
      Technique:Body and breath awareness

      Had a hard time getting started today, but towards the middle of my
      session my concentration improved. Minimal back pain today. Usually
      chanting OM is helpful in keeping my concentration but today it was
      more of a hindrance. I was concentrating on too many things at one
      time, so I decided to just focus on my breath and really pay
      attention to body awareness. Today session was longer than usual.
    • eveneon
      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 2, 2002
        Date: July 2, 2002
        Time: 6:30am
        Duration 40 minutes
        Position: Eyes closed, sitting in chair, palms facing up, index
        finger touching thumb
        Technique: Body and breath awareness.

        "Good" session today. Concentration was strong and mind chatter
        minimal. Back pain practically non-existent. Something different
        occurred today. Usually, with my eyes closed, I just see blackness.
        But about 15 minutes into my session I started to see little light
        pixels mixed in with the black. Like white noise, similar to what I
        see when I first come out of meditation. This became my anchor or
        focus. I'm thinking it has always been there but I just never noticed
        it before. I was enjoying my meditation very much and did not want to
        end my session, but did so because I heard my husband wake up, which
        reminded me that I had to take care of some things before he left for
        work. I'm definitely noticing improved concentration the more I
        meditate.
        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 2, 2002
          eveneon <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          Something different occurred today. Usually, with my eyes closed, I
          just see blackness. But about 15 minutes into my session I started to
          see little light pixels mixed in with the black. Like white noise,
          similar to what I see when I first come out of meditation. This
          became my anchor or focus. I'm thinking it has always been there but
          I just never noticed it before. I was enjoying my meditation very
          much...

          Comment: Warning! Warning! 3rd Eye opening! Maya beware!!!
        • eveneon
          Message 4 of 28 , Jul 3, 2002
            Date :July3
            Time: 6:30am
            Duration: 30 minutes
            Position: Sitting in chair, eyes closed, palms up
            Technique: Body and breath awareness

            Hard to concentrate today. A lot of mind chatter. I didn't sleep well
            last night and I think this has something to do with it. It is also
            very hot and humid in my house making it extremely uncomfortable.
            Mild back pain.
          • gangak000
            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 3, 2002
              <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > eveneon <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > Something different occurred today. Usually, with my eyes
              closed, I
              > just see blackness. But about 15 minutes into my session I
              started to
              > see little light pixels mixed in with the black. Like white noise,
              > similar to what I see when I first come out of meditation. This
              > became my anchor or focus. I'm thinking it has always been
              there but
              > I just never noticed it before. I was enjoying my meditation very
              > much...
              >
              > Comment: Warning! Warning! 3rd Eye opening! Maya beware!!!

              G: hahahhahaha nope warning warning maya extended......

              word to the wise do not chase after the rising phenomena
              along the way..... that is not It.... continue on..... until you reach
              the Source from which all proceeds from.....

              shanti om ...g...
            • eveneon
              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 4, 2002
                --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "gangak000"
                <crystalkundalini@h...> wrote:
                > > Comment: Warning! Warning! 3rd Eye opening! Maya beware!!!
                >
                > G: hahahhahaha nope warning warning maya extended......
                >
                > word to the wise do not chase after the rising phenomena
                > along the way..... that is not It.... continue on..... until
                you reach
                > the Source from which all proceeds from.....
                >
                > shanti om ...g...

                No chasing here. Just observing.

                Eve
              • eveneon
                Message 7 of 28 , Jul 6, 2002
                  Date: July 6, 2002
                  Time: 8:00am
                  Duration: 35 minutes open
                  Technique: Body and breath awareness
                  Position: Sitting in chair, eyes closed, index finger touching thumb,
                  palms up

                  Today my concentration seemed to be stronger at the beginning of my
                  session rather than the end. Mind chatter was moderate. I had a few
                  ideas come to me for projects I have been working on. I was able to
                  let them go and trust that I would remember them after my meditation
                  (which I did). Although I wasn't thinking about these ideas that had
                  come to me, I guess the excitement of this kicked up the mind
                  chatter. It was a little harder to concentrate after this happened. I
                  felt relaxed and calm at the end of my session. Only noticed mild
                  back pain a couple times.
                • eveneon
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jul 8, 2002
                    Date: July 8, 2002
                    Time: 8:30am
                    Duration: 15 minutes
                    Position: Sitting in chair, eyes closed, palms up, index finger
                    touching thumb
                    Technique: Body and breath awareness

                    Very hard to concentrate today. Could not stay focused. I'm not sure
                    why, but I was finding it difficult to breathe today. It was like my
                    lungs were never quite full of air, and a few times I had to open my
                    mouth to draw in as much air as I could. I don't have a stuffy nose
                    so I'm not sure what that is all about. About 10 minutes into my
                    session I noticed my back pain, which gradually grew worse. I
                    unconsciously came out of my session after fifteen minutes. Decided
                    not to try and continue.
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jul 8, 2002
                      eveneon <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                      > Very hard to concentrate today. Could not stay focused. I'm not
                      sure why, but I was finding it difficult to breathe today. It was like
                      my lungs were never quite full of air, and a few times I had to open
                      my mouth to draw in as much air as I could. I don't have a stuffy
                      nose so I'm not sure what that is all about. About 10 minutes into my
                      session I noticed my back pain, which gradually grew worse. I
                      unconsciously came out of my session after fifteen minutes. Decided
                      not to try and continue.
                      Comment: Dear Eve, Have you heard that we are experiencing an air
                      quality problem in our area (N.E. America)? This is caused by what
                      must be an enormous fire in Ontario, Canada. Bette, who has asthma,
                      had trouble this morning just walking the 30 or so feet to her car.
                      As you know, I usually feel that "failed" meditation sessions have
                      the best potential to learn from, but in this case, I can't even
                      recommend taking a deep breath and calming down. You'd probably pass
                      out. BTW, have you tried any healing techniques for your back
                      problems?
                    • eveneon
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jul 8, 2002
                        Hi Bob. I did hear about the fires but didn't think that it could
                        effect me. However, after watching the news this morning I realised
                        that it could be a problem when they said that there was a smoke
                        advisory today. It's pretty wild that a fire so far away could effect
                        us down here.
                        I have not done any healing techniques for my back. I guess I figured
                        that since the pain comes and goes and I don't always have it, that
                        it would just eventually stop on it's own. I am open to trying
                        something though. I might be nice to have something to shift my
                        meditation to when my back pain kicks in. Can you recommend something
                        to try?
                        Thanks,
                        Eve

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jul 8, 2002
                          Eve wrote:
                          > I have not done any healing techniques for my back. I guess I
                          figured that since the pain comes and goes and I don't always have
                          it, that it would just eventually stop on it's own. I am open to
                          trying something though. It might be nice to have something to shift
                          my meditation to when my back pain kicks in. Can you recommend
                          something to try?
                          Thanks, Eve
                          Dear Eve,
                          At one time, my first impulse would have been to say "Baily's Irish
                          Cream", but that's just the eternal teen-ager in me looking for
                          acceptance through being funny. Now, all grown up (or down, depending
                          on your viewpoint), I'm going to suggest checking out the healing
                          techniques on our site http://www.meditationsociety.com/week29.html
                          BTW, this is the 2nd time in 24 hours I've suggested this, so I
                          expect doing it again very soon - or is this just an example of
                          holding on to folk lore and treating it as truth. Nah, not in this
                          case. Everybody knows that it's scientific fact that things happen in
                          3's. Oops - there goes that teenager again. Seriously, I hope that
                          you have learned all you need to from the back pain, and that one of
                          the methods discussed on the site, or something else, helps effect a
                          complete relief of your discomfort. After all, the Eagles training
                          camp opens in 18 days, and we all need to give football our complete
                          attention thereafter. Hey - how about that. The teenager came out 3
                          times. Yep - scientific proof if I ever saw it!
                        • eveneon
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jul 9, 2002
                            Thanks Bob. I checked out the healing meditaions and will try them
                            next time my back pain kicks in. Interestly, I had no back pain today.
                            Eve

                            Message 13 of 28 , Jul 9, 2002
                              Date: July 9, 2002
                              Time: 8:20am
                              Duration: 45minutes (open)
                              Position: Sitting in chair, eyes closed, palms facing up resting on
                              knees
                              Technique: Body and breath awareness

                              Very good concentration today. I was able to stay focused almost
                              continuously. I really had no back pain today except for a moment or
                              two of noticing a mild discomfort, which quickly passed. But I did
                              however also notice some mild discomfort in my jaw. Not enough to
                              distract me. Today's session seemed to have a different quality to
                              it, but I don't think I can describe it. I can only say it seemed to
                              be more of a watching or "witnessing" of my thoughts. I meditated in
                              a different room and facing a different direction. I don't know if
                              this had an influence or not. Possible I suppose. Longer than normal
                              session today. Very calm and relaxed afterward.
                            • eveneon
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jul 10, 2002
                                Date: July 10, 2002
                                Time: 8:20am
                                Duration: 40 minutes (open)
                                Position: Sitting in chair, eyes closed, palms on knees facing up
                                Technique: Body and breath awareness

                                Not much to say about today's session other than it was similar to
                                yesterdays. My concentration was not quite as strong, but still good.
                                Seemed to be weaker towards the end. No back or body pain of any kind
                                today.

                                Insights: Meditation is much like everyday life. Thoughts, feelings,
                                physical sensations are all fluid in meditation. They just float by.
                                In life, situations, relationships, and experience all float by in
                                much the same the way. You can hold onto nothing. It's all temporary.
                                Just witness.
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jul 10, 2002
                                  Eve wrote:
                                  Meditation is much like everyday life. Thoughts, feelings,
                                  physical sensations are all fluid in meditation. They just float by.
                                  In life, situations, relationships, and experience all float by in
                                  much the same the way. You can hold onto nothing. It's all
                                  temporary.
                                  Just witness.
                                  Comment: Sometimes wisdom floats by. This is a great example. Thanks!
                                • eveneon
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jul 11, 2002
                                    Date: July 11, 2002
                                    Time: 8:40
                                    Duration: 40 minutes
                                    Position: sitting in chair, eyes closed, palms resting on knees
                                    facing up
                                    Technique: Breath and body awareness

                                    Today was all about body awareness. I started my session the same way
                                    I usually do, scanning my body for tension then focusing on the sound
                                    and feeling of my breath. I was finding it difficult to concentrate
                                    and noticed some back pain starting to build so I decided to try some
                                    healing visualization techniques. I focused on drawing healing energy
                                    (represented by an iridescent purple/pink/bluish color). I imagined
                                    bringing this in through my breath and my arms, legs, and head. I
                                    would hold this energy in my body and see it moving around, and then
                                    I would exhale the painful energy (represented by the color red) I
                                    did this for a while I noticed where tension was coming up in my
                                    body. My back pain never left completely, but it changed intensity
                                    and certain times. I was feeling the need to stretch and was starting
                                    to feel a little warm. I just sat with this until I felt it was time
                                    to stop. My concentration seemed to get stronger as my session
                                    progressed. I felt a little achy when I woke up this morning and I
                                    still feel a little achy after meditating. I don't know if this
                                    visualization helped my pain or not, but it gave me something to
                                    focus on, helping me to concentrate a little more.