Journal Entry - tosime

  • tosime2001
    Message 1 of 99 , Jun 29, 2002
      Notes: Posting your meditation journal here is an excellent
      opportunity to share your meditation experience so others can learn
      from your insights and reflect on their own practice. You will find
      that posting a journal is a good motivator for regular, progressive
      meditation. Please use any format you wish. Feel free to ask
      questions in your post, respond to questions in other posts and
      comment on any aspect of each entry. While meditating, be careful to
      avoid a mind commentary that anticipates posting a journal entry as
      this can distract from your meditation session. Avoid judging your
      sessions based on what you read posted by others.

      Journal Entry - tosime
      Date: June 29
      Variation: Focus on breath
      Time: 07:45 a.m.
      Duration: 65 minutes (open)
      Posture: Seated on chair
      Body: Eyes closed, tongue tip to pallet, hands on knees-index finger
      touching thumb
      Condition: Dark room. Candles. Incense. Essential Oil – (Bergamot
      + water on burner). Bell.
      Mind Chatter: Medium.
      Waves of bliss: 1-2 light waves (not induced).
      Experience: Very Good session.

      Notes: Slow start. Longer than normal time to enter first stage. Had
      a slightly runny nose. Needed to work on clearing this so it would
      not distract me during the meditation. The clearing went on in the
      background but would slow down movement from stage to stage in the
      early part of the meditation.

      One of my children tried entering the room (I lock the doors). The
      sound of the door handle sent a wave of inner sounds through me. This
      wave was similar to the sensation of moving from one stage to another
      in meditation. I tried to see if I could use the door handle induced
      wave to help me move to the next level in my meditation. It was
      tricky but possible. It is hard to describe in words, but it reminds
      me of judo when you use an opponent's force against them. It was like
      channeling the door handle wave into my meditation.

      From this experience I wondered if I could use a similar technique
      for channeling mind chatter to go deeper into meditation. With this
      realization all mind chatter stopped instantly! It was funny – I was
      almost laughing. It was as if all the mind chatter had run away to
      hide from instant destruction. Even when I feed thoughts, the mind
      chatter would not hook onto the thought to start threads of chatter.
      Eventually they came out and I tried it.

      Essentially, I fed the chatter with a trigger word, watched the scene
      develop around the word and the threads that flowed. Then at a good
      point (a sort of critical point) I would freeze the chatter and
      switch attention to the meditation. The act of switching gives a
      thrust to deepening the meditation – very much like a judo throw. I
      tried it a few times and it worked quite well. I decided to end the
      session there and was rewarded with a nice wave of bliss – a pleasant
      surprise.

      Insights: Although mind chatter is normally a distraction during
      meditation it may be possible to actually use mind chatter to go
      deeper into meditation. The act of switching from mind chatter to the
      meditation process may provide an impetus towards deeper meditation.

      Questions: Is experimentation and developing meditation techniques a
      distraction to the meditation?
    • Swami-G
      Message 99 of 99 , Nov 29, 2003
        <tosime@b...> wrote:
        > Journal Entry - tosime
        > Date: November 29 2003
        > Type: Meditation on inner sounds (with earplugs)
        > Time: 07:55 a.m.
        > Duration: 38 minutes (open)
        > Posture: Seated on chair
        > Body: Eyes closed,
        > - Hands on knees
        > Room Condition: Darkened room
        > - One candle
        > - Incense
        > - Essential Oil - (Gardenia + water on burner)
        > Pre-session:
        > - Full body stretch (3 times).
        > - Struck the bell 3 times before starting
        > Mind Chatter: Low
        > Waves of bliss: None
        > Experience: Good Session. First session after about a year
        without
        > meditating
        >
        > Result: Recall Session - Getting used to the motions.
        >
        > Surprising easy to return to meditation. My body felt as if it were
        on
        > automatic pilot - simply did most of the usual things I did with
        very
        > little thinking on my part.
        >
        > Good physical relaxation. Moved quite quickly through deeper
        and deeper
        > states of physical relaxation.
        >
        > Had the insight that my day to day thinking was like watching a
        slide
        > show. Each slide would stop if I dwelt on it by thinking about it.
        If I
        > did not, the next slide would appear. Most of my problems
        come when I
        > dwell too much on each passing thought. The progression of
        thoughts is a
        > natural process that I interfere with when I dwell too long on
        any
        > particular thought. I should try relaxing more and allowing the
        thought
        > process to take its natural course.

        Sg: nice to see the site come back to its intention.....