Journal Entry

  • eveneon
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 28, 2002
      June:28
      Time: 7:00am
      Duration: 30 minutes
      Position: Sitting in chair, eyes closed
      Technique: Body and breath awareness, chanted Om silently

      Interesting session today. Mind chatter was minimal and my
      concentration very good. About halfway through my session I was
      interrupted for a few minutes. When I tried to get back into
      meditating I witnessed myself feeling aggravated that I had been
      interrupted while I was having such a "good" session. I was able to
      detach from this and realize that these frustrated feelings were not
      solid. That they just pass by like my thoughts. Although I've heard
      this concept many times, this was the first time that I actually
      witnessed it while it was happening. I was able to gain some
      concentration again but not as strong as before. Would have liked to
      continue but ended my session in anticipation of my husband coming
      downstairs to go to work. Interestingly, I had almost no back pain
      today. Just the slightest amount of an uncomfortable feeling.
    • eveneon
      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 1, 2002
        Date:July 1
        Time:6:00am
        Duration:45minutes
        Position: Sitting in chair, eyes closed
        Technique:Body and breath awareness

        Had a hard time getting started today, but towards the middle of my
        session my concentration improved. Minimal back pain today. Usually
        chanting OM is helpful in keeping my concentration but today it was
        more of a hindrance. I was concentrating on too many things at one
        time, so I decided to just focus on my breath and really pay
        attention to body awareness. Today session was longer than usual.
      • eveneon
        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 2, 2002
          Date: July 2, 2002
          Time: 6:30am
          Duration 40 minutes
          Position: Eyes closed, sitting in chair, palms facing up, index
          finger touching thumb
          Technique: Body and breath awareness.

          "Good" session today. Concentration was strong and mind chatter
          minimal. Back pain practically non-existent. Something different
          occurred today. Usually, with my eyes closed, I just see blackness.
          But about 15 minutes into my session I started to see little light
          pixels mixed in with the black. Like white noise, similar to what I
          see when I first come out of meditation. This became my anchor or
          focus. I'm thinking it has always been there but I just never noticed
          it before. I was enjoying my meditation very much and did not want to
          end my session, but did so because I heard my husband wake up, which
          reminded me that I had to take care of some things before he left for
          work. I'm definitely noticing improved concentration the more I
          meditate.
          Message 4 of 28 , Jul 2, 2002
            eveneon <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            Something different occurred today. Usually, with my eyes closed, I
            just see blackness. But about 15 minutes into my session I started to
            see little light pixels mixed in with the black. Like white noise,
            similar to what I see when I first come out of meditation. This
            became my anchor or focus. I'm thinking it has always been there but
            I just never noticed it before. I was enjoying my meditation very
            much...

            Comment: Warning! Warning! 3rd Eye opening! Maya beware!!!
          • eveneon
            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 3, 2002
              Date :July3
              Time: 6:30am
              Duration: 30 minutes
              Position: Sitting in chair, eyes closed, palms up
              Technique: Body and breath awareness

              Hard to concentrate today. A lot of mind chatter. I didn't sleep well
              last night and I think this has something to do with it. It is also
              very hot and humid in my house making it extremely uncomfortable.
              Mild back pain.
            • gangak000
              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 3, 2002
                <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > eveneon <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > Something different occurred today. Usually, with my eyes
                closed, I
                > just see blackness. But about 15 minutes into my session I
                started to
                > see little light pixels mixed in with the black. Like white noise,
                > similar to what I see when I first come out of meditation. This
                > became my anchor or focus. I'm thinking it has always been
                there but
                > I just never noticed it before. I was enjoying my meditation very
                > much...
                >
                > Comment: Warning! Warning! 3rd Eye opening! Maya beware!!!

                G: hahahhahaha nope warning warning maya extended......

                word to the wise do not chase after the rising phenomena
                along the way..... that is not It.... continue on..... until you reach
                the Source from which all proceeds from.....

                shanti om ...g...
              • eveneon
                Message 7 of 28 , Jul 4, 2002
                  --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "gangak000"
                  <crystalkundalini@h...> wrote:
                  > > Comment: Warning! Warning! 3rd Eye opening! Maya beware!!!
                  >
                  > G: hahahhahaha nope warning warning maya extended......
                  >
                  > word to the wise do not chase after the rising phenomena
                  > along the way..... that is not It.... continue on..... until
                  you reach
                  > the Source from which all proceeds from.....
                  >
                  > shanti om ...g...

                  No chasing here. Just observing.

                  Eve
                • eveneon
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jul 6, 2002
                    Date: July 6, 2002
                    Time: 8:00am
                    Duration: 35 minutes open
                    Technique: Body and breath awareness
                    Position: Sitting in chair, eyes closed, index finger touching thumb,
                    palms up

                    Today my concentration seemed to be stronger at the beginning of my
                    session rather than the end. Mind chatter was moderate. I had a few
                    ideas come to me for projects I have been working on. I was able to
                    let them go and trust that I would remember them after my meditation
                    (which I did). Although I wasn't thinking about these ideas that had
                    come to me, I guess the excitement of this kicked up the mind
                    chatter. It was a little harder to concentrate after this happened. I
                    felt relaxed and calm at the end of my session. Only noticed mild
                    back pain a couple times.
                  • eveneon
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jul 8, 2002
                      Date: July 8, 2002
                      Time: 8:30am
                      Duration: 15 minutes
                      Position: Sitting in chair, eyes closed, palms up, index finger
                      touching thumb
                      Technique: Body and breath awareness

                      Very hard to concentrate today. Could not stay focused. I'm not sure
                      why, but I was finding it difficult to breathe today. It was like my
                      lungs were never quite full of air, and a few times I had to open my
                      mouth to draw in as much air as I could. I don't have a stuffy nose
                      so I'm not sure what that is all about. About 10 minutes into my
                      session I noticed my back pain, which gradually grew worse. I
                      unconsciously came out of my session after fifteen minutes. Decided
                      not to try and continue.
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jul 8, 2002
                        eveneon <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                        > Very hard to concentrate today. Could not stay focused. I'm not
                        sure why, but I was finding it difficult to breathe today. It was like
                        my lungs were never quite full of air, and a few times I had to open
                        my mouth to draw in as much air as I could. I don't have a stuffy
                        nose so I'm not sure what that is all about. About 10 minutes into my
                        session I noticed my back pain, which gradually grew worse. I
                        unconsciously came out of my session after fifteen minutes. Decided
                        not to try and continue.
                        Comment: Dear Eve, Have you heard that we are experiencing an air
                        quality problem in our area (N.E. America)? This is caused by what
                        must be an enormous fire in Ontario, Canada. Bette, who has asthma,
                        had trouble this morning just walking the 30 or so feet to her car.
                        As you know, I usually feel that "failed" meditation sessions have
                        the best potential to learn from, but in this case, I can't even
                        recommend taking a deep breath and calming down. You'd probably pass
                        out. BTW, have you tried any healing techniques for your back
                        problems?
                      • eveneon
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jul 8, 2002
                          Hi Bob. I did hear about the fires but didn't think that it could
                          effect me. However, after watching the news this morning I realised
                          that it could be a problem when they said that there was a smoke
                          advisory today. It's pretty wild that a fire so far away could effect
                          us down here.
                          I have not done any healing techniques for my back. I guess I figured
                          that since the pain comes and goes and I don't always have it, that
                          it would just eventually stop on it's own. I am open to trying
                          something though. I might be nice to have something to shift my
                          meditation to when my back pain kicks in. Can you recommend something
                          to try?
                          Thanks,
                          Eve

                          Message 12 of 28 , Jul 8, 2002
                            Eve wrote:
                            > I have not done any healing techniques for my back. I guess I
                            figured that since the pain comes and goes and I don't always have
                            it, that it would just eventually stop on it's own. I am open to
                            trying something though. It might be nice to have something to shift
                            my meditation to when my back pain kicks in. Can you recommend
                            something to try?
                            Thanks, Eve
                            Dear Eve,
                            At one time, my first impulse would have been to say "Baily's Irish
                            Cream", but that's just the eternal teen-ager in me looking for
                            acceptance through being funny. Now, all grown up (or down, depending
                            on your viewpoint), I'm going to suggest checking out the healing
                            techniques on our site http://www.meditationsociety.com/week29.html
                            BTW, this is the 2nd time in 24 hours I've suggested this, so I
                            expect doing it again very soon - or is this just an example of
                            holding on to folk lore and treating it as truth. Nah, not in this
                            case. Everybody knows that it's scientific fact that things happen in
                            3's. Oops - there goes that teenager again. Seriously, I hope that
                            you have learned all you need to from the back pain, and that one of
                            the methods discussed on the site, or something else, helps effect a
                            complete relief of your discomfort. After all, the Eagles training
                            camp opens in 18 days, and we all need to give football our complete
                            attention thereafter. Hey - how about that. The teenager came out 3
                            times. Yep - scientific proof if I ever saw it!
                          • eveneon
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jul 9, 2002
                              Thanks Bob. I checked out the healing meditaions and will try them
                              next time my back pain kicks in. Interestly, I had no back pain today.
                              Eve

                              Message 14 of 28 , Jul 9, 2002
                                Date: July 9, 2002
                                Time: 8:20am
                                Duration: 45minutes (open)
                                Position: Sitting in chair, eyes closed, palms facing up resting on
                                knees
                                Technique: Body and breath awareness

                                Very good concentration today. I was able to stay focused almost
                                continuously. I really had no back pain today except for a moment or
                                two of noticing a mild discomfort, which quickly passed. But I did
                                however also notice some mild discomfort in my jaw. Not enough to
                                distract me. Today's session seemed to have a different quality to
                                it, but I don't think I can describe it. I can only say it seemed to
                                be more of a watching or "witnessing" of my thoughts. I meditated in
                                a different room and facing a different direction. I don't know if
                                this had an influence or not. Possible I suppose. Longer than normal
                                session today. Very calm and relaxed afterward.
                              • eveneon
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jul 10, 2002
                                  Date: July 10, 2002
                                  Time: 8:20am
                                  Duration: 40 minutes (open)
                                  Position: Sitting in chair, eyes closed, palms on knees facing up
                                  Technique: Body and breath awareness

                                  Not much to say about today's session other than it was similar to
                                  yesterdays. My concentration was not quite as strong, but still good.
                                  Seemed to be weaker towards the end. No back or body pain of any kind
                                  today.

                                  Insights: Meditation is much like everyday life. Thoughts, feelings,
                                  physical sensations are all fluid in meditation. They just float by.
                                  In life, situations, relationships, and experience all float by in
                                  much the same the way. You can hold onto nothing. It's all temporary.
                                  Just witness.
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jul 10, 2002
                                    Eve wrote:
                                    Meditation is much like everyday life. Thoughts, feelings,
                                    physical sensations are all fluid in meditation. They just float by.
                                    In life, situations, relationships, and experience all float by in
                                    much the same the way. You can hold onto nothing. It's all
                                    temporary.
                                    Just witness.
                                    Comment: Sometimes wisdom floats by. This is a great example. Thanks!
                                  • eveneon
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jul 11, 2002
                                      Date: July 11, 2002
                                      Time: 8:40
                                      Duration: 40 minutes
                                      Position: sitting in chair, eyes closed, palms resting on knees
                                      facing up
                                      Technique: Breath and body awareness

                                      Today was all about body awareness. I started my session the same way
                                      I usually do, scanning my body for tension then focusing on the sound
                                      and feeling of my breath. I was finding it difficult to concentrate
                                      and noticed some back pain starting to build so I decided to try some
                                      healing visualization techniques. I focused on drawing healing energy
                                      (represented by an iridescent purple/pink/bluish color). I imagined
                                      bringing this in through my breath and my arms, legs, and head. I
                                      would hold this energy in my body and see it moving around, and then
                                      I would exhale the painful energy (represented by the color red) I
                                      did this for a while I noticed where tension was coming up in my
                                      body. My back pain never left completely, but it changed intensity
                                      and certain times. I was feeling the need to stretch and was starting
                                      to feel a little warm. I just sat with this until I felt it was time
                                      to stop. My concentration seemed to get stronger as my session
                                      progressed. I felt a little achy when I woke up this morning and I
                                      still feel a little achy after meditating. I don't know if this
                                      visualization helped my pain or not, but it gave me something to
                                      focus on, helping me to concentrate a little more.