Types of Meditation

  • daisy30102000
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 28, 2002
      I am new to meditation techniques and I wanted to ask a question
      about a form I recently encountered. It was a stress reduction
      technique where the class was instructed to imagine a warm fuzzy
      animal crawling into our hearts. I wanted to look up more
      information on this technique. Does it have a formal name or does it
      fall under one of the formal headings of the 108 Meditation
      Techniques on this website? Is there a book on this type of
      meditation technique that you can suggest?
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 28, 2002
        Hi - Welcome - There are actually an unlimited number of techniques.
        The way it goes is that there are 108 techniques, and 108 variations
        of each one, and 108 variations of these, and so on. I don't know if
        the technique you have found is in any book, but I do feel that if it
        "works" for you, go with it. The criteria for "works" is if it brings
        you peace. If it does, it is "good". If it, or any technique, takes
        your peace away, it is "bad". The best way to learn more about any
        technique is by doing it. Reading is very beneficial, as are classes,
        CD's and so on, but meditating is the best way to learn about
        meditation. I wish you well and please don't hesitate to ask
        questions when they arise, and share experiences as you feel the need
        to. Providing a place to share and communicate about this precious
        knowledge is the reason for this groups existance.